Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× Welcome to the Chronic Pain Australia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

• eagles19
  • eagles19's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #10068 by eagles19
eagles19 created the topic: New Member
Hi, I'm Ian, a young 62 y.o. and have been living with, and fighting chronic sciatica and lower back pain since a car accident in 1986. I have endured many surgeries, facet joint injections, cortisone injections, and much more over 26 years, including surviving a blood clot in my lung resulting from a ten hour lower back operation. In August 2011, i was blessed to be introduced to a very special physiotherapist who i have been working with to defeat pain by shutting down the neural pathways which send the pain signals to and from the brain and by doing that, i have reduced my medication by 75%. My left side from shoulder to hip had dropped by 1 1/2 inches, which is the body compensating over the years from the constant pain. I come from a very competitive sporting background, and to lose the ability to play any sport, unable to obtain any employment, being put on a permanent disability pension, has been a hard pill to swallow. It has been, and still is an amazing positive journey since August 2011. I took up the challenge to make huge changes to my body core, fitness level, weight loss, mental state ( including depression ) , self- esteem, basically undoing 26 years of living with chronic pain and a dependency for pain medication . My physio suggested i share my journey of discovery with others, as some of us live in solitude because of our situation, and most importantly, if an old bloke like me can make very significant physical and mental changes through a commitment of mental and physical training, hopefully my journey may help others in a similar situation to make changes that are so powerful and positive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: titan55

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #10071 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Re: New Member
Hi Ian.

Welcome to our forum. Your story is amazing. People do manage to reduce (or even give up) medication, but it it unusual to do that after 26 years! What a journey. Can you tell us a bit more about how your physiotherapist has managed to shut down the neural pathways? I think that we would all find it very interesting. Is your physio a particular type of physiotherapist?

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
The following user(s) said Thank You: eagles19

More
5 years 7 months ago #10073 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: Re: New Member
Hi Ian and welcome,

Wow what a journey that's fantastic you certainly suffered for a very long time. You must be feeling on top of the world right now. I wish I could meet a physio like you have and how does one work on the neural pathways to achieve this because I think if we knew their name we would be lining up at the door....lol... :) thanks for sharing your story it is inspiring to read. :)

More
5 years 7 months ago #10079 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: Re: New Member
Hi and welcome from me too Ian. Thanks for sharing your story.

Now you've got us all sitting here on tenterhooks waiting with baited breath to hear about this treatment your physio is doing! :) Please put us out of our misery and tell us all about it.

I think that deep down, no matter how much acceptance we have of our chronic pain, there is always that element of hope that one day we will find something that is going to make a big difference; I know I am keen to hear what method your physio is using.

The other thing I noticed in your story is that you seemed to have a complete turn around of lifestyle and attitude after CP for so long. Good on you :) That's inspiring!

Welcome again,
Fee

More
5 years 7 months ago #10111 by titan55
titan55 replied the topic: Re: New Member
welcome eagles19.your story is very inspirational to everyone.the way your life changed and the way you have dealt with that is amazing.thank you for telling us your story.glad you found this wonderful forum.take care.

chronic migraines and headaches for over 25 years.
intercystitial cystitis.
chronic facial pain due to allergies
irratable bowel syndrome
chronic upper tummy pain
fibromyalgia
depression

More
5 years 7 months ago #10115 by di
di replied the topic: Re: New Member
Hi Ian and it's really great to have you here, :)

Your story's inspiring.

I have reduced my pain medication but rely on pain blocking medication instead. I'm very interested in more about what you've done in more detail.

Well done and congratulations for what you've achieved for yourself, it's truly amazing.

Di

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153