Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× Welcome to the Chronic Pain Australia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

any suggestions to block out loud music?

• titan55
  • titan55's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 6 months ago #11314 by titan55
titan55 created the topic: any suggestions to block out loud music?
hi guys.this is a bit of a strange one but i need some ideas.my daughter is having her 18th birthday party at our house on saturday night and there is about 70 people coming.the music is going to be so loud and i can't deal with it with my chronic headaches.i am going to put my silcone ear plugs into my ears but they don't really help and i have tried every other type of ear plugs.the noise will be loud to the point you can't hear anyone else speak.there is going to be about 30 teenagers drinking all night and partying.the rest are family.i don't want to let my daughter down but i am so worried about how i am going to cope and not fall apart with a migraine.any suggestions? :woohoo:

chronic migraines and headaches for over 25 years.
intercystitial cystitis.
chronic facial pain due to allergies
irratable bowel syndrome
chronic upper tummy pain
fibromyalgia
depression

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #11317 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Re: any suggestions to block out loud music?
Titan55 you could get yourself industrial earmuffs, wear them as well as your ear plugs about the only thing you will hear is your own heartbeat and breathing. Hope they don't plan on going on too late otherwise you might be getting a knock on the door from the boys in blue.

Don
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by grappers.

More
5 years 6 months ago #11319 by Brook
Brook replied the topic: Re: any suggestions to block out loud music?
Hi Titan!
Ballistics earplugs are fantastic - I used to be a supervisor at the local Blue light disco and wouldn't have survived without them. I got mine at the local sports store that has guns & ammo. They have a baffle inside them that blocks out high frequency sounds (i.e kids screaming and doosh-doosh music as well as their intended use - gun shot retort) :lol:
I could still speak to people and hear the walkie-talkies with them in, they just cut out all the headachy stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: titan55

More
5 years 6 months ago #11326 by di
di replied the topic: Re: any suggestions to block out loud music?
(((Titan))), it's hard to stay at home all night for your daughters party wearing earmuffs! :huh:
Your daughter knows about your awful migraines and would understand if you needed to stay somewhere else for the night.
Is that possible?
You could perhaps hang around to meet and greet her friends and then go and visit family until the party was over or stay with them for the night.♥ May be a suitable compromise.

I hope you find a good outcome to suit.
Hugs to you,
Di xo

Sorry.... couldn't resist! :P ♥♥

More
5 years 6 months ago #11351 by Outlast
Outlast replied the topic: Re: any suggestions to block out loud music?
Hi Titan. I was kind of hoping that during my time away you may have found the right formula for those migraines or at least your doc offer you something new to lessen them. First thing i learned from this forum was from Mary and Peter on pacing. For me it was physical pacing technique but i am sure it applies to emotional state as well. Could you go into the neighbour's house for breaks? Assuming you have told them about the noise that is coming and that you do get on. No 18 year old is going to want a parent on the scene all the time anyway except for any parental speeches you want to give. Meet and greet. Disappear and reappear. The old casper the ghost routine. While i wouldn't normally push benzos on anyone maybe a time for a low dose relaxant before party takes off. Might stave off a migraine. Don't pre-empt a disaster, it just might not happen.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #11353 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Re: any suggestions to block out loud music?
Hi Titan,

This might sound a bit harsh. But you are the parent here and your daughter knows the problems you have. The music does not have to be so loud that you can't hear anyone speak. Lay down a couple of rules re music volume and drinking or you may end up with all sorts of problems. You don't actually have to be the party Nazi, but a few basic rules in your house are certainly your right.

Maybe tell them that you need to consider the neighbours. They have a right to at least be able to hear their television sets. Then maybe you can play some calming music through your headphones.

Good luck, I hope it works out. We only had one bad teenage party and even that wasn't too bad. Although there was this one girl who kept on going into the bathroom with her handbag. I didn't think anything of it until I found half my makeup gone the next day! Our son and his friends quickly ousted her from their group!

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Mary.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153