Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× Welcome to the Chronic Pain Australia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hobbies

• lubbing5cherubs
  • lubbing5cherubs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #11824 by lubbing5cherubs
lubbing5cherubs created the topic: Hobbies
Hey guys, sorry if this been asked millions of time. What do you do to help pass the time constructively. I been trying to find something that I can do creative that does not affect me more. I use to sew but the leaning forward to cut out causes massive pain increase. Woodturning I can do it but often loose sensation from waist down and hubby has to help me get my feet moving again. So what other things do you do. Knitting and crocheting too slow and puppy has a wool fetish. Any other ideas that might be able to achieve???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #11827 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: Re: Hobbies
Hi Toni,

I used to do a lot of the things you mentioned plus also a lot of sewing, but can't now because of the neck bent forward position.

I bought a fully adjustable desk top easel so that I could set it up in such a way that I didn't have to bend my neck. I then bought a couple of online art courses that you can download to your own computer and work at your own pace. They are all using art as emotional healing tools so as well as getting a new interest (mixed media painting techniques), there was also some emotional healing at the same time. I find painting is a great distraction from the pain. This is the link:

willowing.ning.com/

I haven't painted for a few months because of a lot of other crap going on with injury court case etc...and I can really notice the difference within my own sense of wellbeing from not doing so. The art lessons are not difficult because a lot of it is in the whimsy style where pretty much anything goes and doesn't have to be all perfect proportions like in a regular painting. It's freeing :) Worth a look at the website anyway if you are looking for a new hobbie as their are plenty of examples on the site for you to see if you like it.

:) Fee

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #11828 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Re: Hobbies
Toni I do wood turning as well and as you say standing all the time makes pain worse, at mine I have a stool which I swap between standing and sitting while on the lathe, the only problem is getting a lap full of shavings when sitting.
Other than that I love fishing, so I spend a lot of time making rigs and rebuilding rods and reels, and love cooking, you will find that keeping the mind and hands busy is what is called distraction a technique used to keep ones mind off of pain.
Modifying the way you work to limit pain is the key, look for ways to limit the amount of bending and twisting, like cutting out patterns try a higher table so you don't have to lean over, trial and error.

Don

More
5 years 7 months ago #11836 by Wendles
Wendles replied the topic: Re: Hobbies
I love gardening but I usually give my back a huge flare up so I now have the challenge of motivating my hubby to do the digging and the heavy bits.I also like most crafts but making cards, scrapbooking and jigsaws has my interest at the moment. I love cross stitch and crochet but my arm can only do 15 minutes or so at a time without a flareup and I have be careful not to bend my neck for too long. It is soooo hard to find hobbies that dont irritate CP. I use books alot as a way to sit with the hot pack or just to rest/pace myself as I am one for doing too much.
Wendles

There is always a SMILE
in your day,
you just need to find it!

More
5 years 7 months ago #11872 by titan55
titan55 replied the topic: Re: Hobbies
hi,i can't think of any hobbies you could try but i hope you get some great ideas soon.personally,my favourite hobby is watching a good show or movie.i zone out in it and relax at the same time most times.good luck and merry christmas.

chronic migraines and headaches for over 25 years.
intercystitial cystitis.
chronic facial pain due to allergies
irratable bowel syndrome
chronic upper tummy pain
fibromyalgia
depression

• Mrs Shingles
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #11888 by Mrs Shingles
Mrs Shingles replied the topic: Re: Hobbies
Hi Toni, I have been an avid papercrafter over the last 10 years when i had to give up sport due to injury., and find it easy to lose myself for hours, or should I say I used to before cp.
Now I find that my cp has meant that my small business dream is on hold as cannot physically cope with work ,pain and developing it. I still get in and do some very small orders, but the idea of the Internet shop is still just an idea only.
I took some cards and Christmas handmade post it note holder into work, as our residents aren't all capable of getting up the shops or have family nearby to grab a card or small gift. It was rewarding to find that I had sold all 25 items, so will make some general cards when I next get the time .
You only need to have a few basics to start, although I should be truthful and admit that I have had trouble fitting my craft crap as hubby calls it, into the room he has made me in the shed. If I get the rest of the home shop dismantled and sorted , he will eventually get a pool table room for all of us to enjoy.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150