Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× Welcome to the Chronic Pain Australia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

decision and suggestion help (my study)

• lubbing5cherubs
  • lubbing5cherubs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12060 by lubbing5cherubs
lubbing5cherubs created the topic: decision and suggestion help (my study)
HI Guys, I am back with another issue. Some of it might be just brain trying to over think things. But love some suggestion you see. I am a full time uni student studying Special needs teaching. Last year I received an offer to become a Occupational therapy. So at this point how it stands is going into 3rd year with teaching, and just studying OT. Now this is my question living with chronic pain, would i honestly be able to be a teacher or an OT? which one would be better suited to someone with limited mobility, can’t bend or lift heavy weights? YOur food for thought would be greatly appreciated, or will honestly neither suit. As for teahing I have prac in March and I honestly this is terrifying me as i don’t know if i can manage. I can’t sweep out my house so how am i going to manage teaching, if things progress to where i need to rely on a wheelchair for mobility can you do that as a teacher or an oT or am i just wasting my time?? what you thoughts guy. you know this. See i love kids and want to work with them but am i able to??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #12061 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Re: decision and suggestion help (my study)
I imagine that the best thing to do would be to talk to an OT and see just what is involved. My first thought was that special needs teaching would be extremely demanding. But since you are already studying that then you are probably in a better position to judge.

The only other thing that came to mind is that there are always out of hours commitments with any kind of teaching whereas there may not be so much with OT work.

I am certainly no expert on any of this other than I have known both special needs teachers and I have observed OT's at work in a rehabilitation facility.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

• lubbing5cherubs
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12066 by lubbing5cherubs
lubbing5cherubs replied the topic: Re: decision and suggestion help (my study)
Thank you Mary, I have written to both Uni and told them my situation and see what they suggest

More
5 years 5 months ago #12068 by Wendles
Wendles replied the topic: Re: decision and suggestion help (my study)
Hi
I am a Special needs Teacher aide with CP and have been for 3 years now. It does have its challenges but not all of our students require lifting or moving actually it is a very tiny percent. Staff is rostered so that it is not me on the lifting. Our brains still have so much to offer, especially children who have a challenge in life to over come as we understand that (due to our CP challenge).
I am sure which ever you choose there will be some area that you could fit into, think outside the box. There is other areas in these proffesions that you could work in that dont require the full on physical strength.

Wendles

There is always a SMILE
in your day,
you just need to find it!

• lubbing5cherubs
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12070 by lubbing5cherubs
lubbing5cherubs replied the topic: Re: decision and suggestion help (my study)
my life is kids, when i am with kids gives me the most joy, all hassles fall away. :)

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153