Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× Welcome to the Chronic Pain Australia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

How Straightforward to be to Doctors

• TheresaD71
  • TheresaD71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12085 by TheresaD71
TheresaD71 created the topic: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
Hello All!
I hope you had a good Christmas and that was mostly pain free :). I am seeing my GP next week and I was wondering how straightforward I can be and say, "here is what I know works, I have used it before, it made me feel pain free and able to do yoga and swim and be happy", but I want to tell him these things without sounding like a drug seeker. This Thorazine is horrid, I feel like a zombie, my mouth has sores in it and I sleep all the time....But with the opiates I was on in the hospital, I felt like "me" again, I had energy, had NO PAIN, and was able to function with my kids and family.

I do research a lot on the net about new medications, and side effects and everything, so I am pretty intelligent, contrary to what most Doctors think. ;) I just don't know how straightforward to be and say look, here is what I want, this is what works, please, as its your duty, help me. I am so sick of Panadeine being shoved at me like its god's saving grace. I hate it, its makes my stomach upset and I feel like ick on it. How do I approach this?
Thanks and lots of hugs!
T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #12090 by di
di replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
Theresa,

Your question would depend on how many visits you've already had with this doctor and how many different GP's you have seen in the past 12 months.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #12091 by di
di replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
Oh... I'd strongly suggest not telling a doctor you want something from that it's their "duty to help you" either. I think that might just get their back up a bit... IYKWIM.

My policy with my doctor is the total truth but we have a good relationship.
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by di.

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #12094 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
Theresa you have to be open and honest, if you feel this medication is not right for you because of side effects you have the right to let him know and you want to try a new approach. No one wants to walk around in a stupefied state all the time, there has to be some sort of quality of life while taking medication, but there will always be trade off's as all medication has there little quarks, finding the right balance is the key along with pain management strategies. There should be a two way conversation going on between you and your doctor on what is the right approach that has the smallest impact on your daily living.

Don

• TheresaD71
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12095 by TheresaD71
TheresaD71 replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
Di
I have had 3 visits with him. My neuro was a joke. He didnt even make a return appointment? I felt like he could give a rats ass about me. My husband was pisssed. This GP really talks to me and I feel cares. I see him again next Thursday.

T

• TheresaD71
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12097 by TheresaD71
TheresaD71 replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
Thanks Don! I will give it a try. The most annoying side effect is the mouth sores. They are horrid. It hurts to eat and drink. They only started when I started the Thorazine.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153