Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× Welcome to the Chronic Pain Australia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

How Straightforward to be to Doctors

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #12099 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
Theresa you don't have to put up with them, just because it is prescribed doesn't mean it is the right treatment, if it is not working then let them know, you are in control.

Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #12100 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
T, why can't you get a letter from your US GP about your meds,I remember you were on painkillers before you came here weren't you? so why can't they be prescribed now? I think you need to ring your old GP in US and get him/her to fax/email your meds list straight to your new GP.

The mood i'm in atm I would probably say :angry: "it's cruel to leave me in this much pain when in the past I was on xyz and xyz and it helped my pain and allowed me to function as a normal human being and cope, the panadeine is giving me IBS, upsetting my tummy and making me feel sick all the time" :huh:
Find a new GP if you get nowhere with yours!

Codeine is terrible for one's tummy! Iv'e stopped taking any codeine all together, however I have my pain meds and patches.

I hope your new GP can help you. Theres a lot of hype about oxycodone atm... And as you know they are a controlled substance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheresaD71

More
5 years 5 months ago #12101 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
Don's right, Theresa you are in control!
Thanks Don, I forget that myself sometimes, I'm going to write that one down and think about it all day.

If a med was giving me sores I wouldn't take it anymore!

• TheresaD71
  • TheresaD71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12103 by TheresaD71
TheresaD71 replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
I did put in a call to my US neuro and hopefully after the holidays it will get sorted. We are leaving for Thailand in 2 weeks and I want to be able to enjoy every moment. The sores are shitty.....lol...its a mouth full of blisters. And they never happened before. So, next week we are going to have a very straightforward talk!
Thank you all
T

More
5 years 5 months ago #12105 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
Hi Theresa,

In all chronic conditions there has to be a partnership between the dr. and patient. Unlike an acute condition like the 'flu or a broken arm when you just go home and do as you are told. If you have a good relationship with your dr. then it should be alright for you to explain what you have just told us here. I think that if you also explain that you are going away and you are concerned about not being well, then that will also help he/she decide in your favour perhaps.

Good luck. It will be good if those records from the US come through!

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

More
5 years 5 months ago #12107 by di
di replied the topic: Re: How Straightforward to be to Doctors
Three good visits to your current GP is a great start and well and truly at the stage of being able to feel comfortable to talk openly and freely with them.

How would I go about the same situation?
First I would make a double appointment to give yourself and the doctor plenty of time.
Have a list prepared of the issues I'm having with current medications.
Any research I had done on medications printed out and copied to give the doctor.
Photographs of mouth ulcers (in case they decrease before appointment).
Any other relevant information prepared for the doctor to view and keep.

Try starting your conversation by asking outright if you're able to be totally honest and frank with him? (Wait for his answer)

(Giving Purpose and Justification) Let him know you feel it's important to you to do so and you understand it's also important so he can do his job properly as well.

(Asking for his agreement to involve you) Let him know that it's important for you to know what's happening to your body and be involved and part of any decisions in treatments and medications that have any effect on your body. Ask him if that is fair enough? (again wait for the answer)

Thank him for making that commitment to you and let him know it means a lot to you. (Consolidation)

Now you can move on with being open and honest with your needs but always remember to listen as well.

I've always found that common courtesy and direct questions with politeness will usually produce good results.
All the best with it Theresa and I hope some of this may be of help to you.
Di xo
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheresaD71

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153