Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× Welcome to the Chronic Pain Australia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TV reporting setting back CP progress

• BIY
  • BIY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12342 by BIY
BIY created the topic: TV reporting setting back CP progress
Did anyone else watch the story on one of the current affairs programs tonight? (don't know if it's politically correct to name it).

Even my husband, who is usually pretty quiet was piping up in indignation! The story was about 2 teenagers; one had a collision on the sports court and the other had a back injury. One was put on Fluvoxamine and had an adverse reaction resulting in full on body spasms and she was having trouble walking and talking. They didn't say if the other girl had also been on medication too (but it's probably a fair thing to assume).

What they did say was that there was nothing physically wrong with either of these girls so it was all psychological and that it was an unconscious reaction by their body for psychological things they were having trouble dealing with or stress.

No mention of the side effects of the medication possibly having anything to do with what's happened to them (some of the ones I have been on have given me spasms and one gave me tardive dyskenesia of the jaw (jaw rhythmically opened and closed and there was nothing I could do to control it). And I don't usually go on very high doses of medications; who knows what strength these girls were put on.
And no mention that the medical professionals can't work out what's the matter with these girls or are baffled (instead it's just a blanket statement that there's nothing wrong).
And absolutely no mention of anything to do with central nervous system sensitisation from their original injuries and perhaps Chronic Pain Syndrome developing....

However lots and lots of mentions of it being purely psychological.

So both these girls are having trouble walking and talking and their whole body was like in Parkinsonian spasms, and now they have to wear the added weight of thinking that it's all because of their psychological state of mind.

I wondered if others had seen this program and have I misinterpreted what I saw? It just seems like we are fighting to take CP out of the psychiatric basket and then along comes a story like this on a popular tv program to set the cause back to the dark ages. It seems that the psychiatric basket is a very handy receptacle to hold anything that is unexplainable or beyond current medical science.

Hmmmm.....
Fee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #12344 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Re: TV reporting setting back CP progress
That is unbelievable Fee. I didn't see it but I know which one it is I think. I had a look at their website and I see that they are calling it "Conversion Disorder". They are putting it in the same category as people who have what used to be called "hysterical blindness" or "hysterical paralysis". Maybe it is a different thing. A quick Google gave me this link.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001950/

The problem is that with all those shows, we only ever get half the story. We don't really know whether there are other issues or not. Or it could be that the Drs are all too quick to lump it in that category. I sure hope not because it will set us back years!!

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

More
5 years 5 months ago #12345 by di
di replied the topic: Re: TV reporting setting back CP progress
Wouldn't do any harm Fee to contact the show by emailing your views. They invite comment and you would compile a great email giving fair airing for what you and other CPers are suffering and battling against on a daily basis. xo

More
5 years 5 months ago #12347 by di
di replied the topic: Re: TV reporting setting back CP progress
Oh... and I did see the show and agree with you 100%.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIY

• BIY
  • BIY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12348 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: Re: TV reporting setting back CP progress
Just read the info on the link you posted Mary on "Conversion Disorder"...all I can think of is those poor girls wearing that psychiatric badge now on top of everything :( It's just awful!

If anybody wants to watch the TV report for themselves, the link is:

au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/latest/a...on-disorder-mystery/

Fee

More
5 years 5 months ago #12352 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Re: TV reporting setting back CP progress
I agree Fee. I can't watch it at the moment because we are away and I can't use up that much of our download allowance. I guess by the time I get home it won't be there. Why would they make a TV segment out of this? Is is perhaps because they are desperate for a cure? It certainly sounds a bit off!

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153