Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× Welcome to the Chronic Pain Australia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

How do you cope with cp and chronic fatigue?

• Eliza
  • Eliza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #12462 by Eliza
Eliza created the topic: How do you cope with cp and chronic fatigue?
I don't know how any of you cope with cp and chronic fatigue...I'm reluctant to say my whole life is unmanageable including my house and yard and I'm not sure how to change it. I don't think that I can ever work again...though my pain psychologist is pushing for me to return to work even though my feet are stinging,throbbing,aching,electrical etc and then there's my constant aching back problem as well. My pain meds don't work anymore, so I am just existing. I have no hope of ever finding another partner because of my problems unless they had similar ones, then they would or could relate. So I'm feeling very low and down ATM... I'm laying on my bed thinking why should I even try and clean up, i suppose that's my depression kicking in..it's hurts my back to vacuum and I can't stand on my feet too long, I have to move around. When I stand and do food preparation I get pins n needles in my shoulders and top of back. And i do love to cook...I feel abandoned by my friends which make me feel teary and sad, most don't even try and understand. I'm so embarrassed when and if they come over because I have stuff everywhere that just needs organising and putting away! If I do have visitors I have to take more medication so I can sit on my bottom and even then I've had enough after half an hour....my calve muscles are constantly aching 24/7 so I bought some magnesium 300mg dissolvable tablets..I'll try anything to see if it helps....I just have to start taking it, 3 days later and I haven't yet!

I'm not coping I shopped on the net for the small amount of Xmas presents I bought...I read on here about people saying I'm off to go shopping or pick my kids up etc etc and I'm lucky that my family helps with everything... Well I'm quite envious about that because I have no-one and I haven't been contributing to the forum because I'm not feeling the love ATM... Before my injury I was fit and healthy and a person who was happy and content and now I feel like a grumble bum...negative and sarcastic...I know I can change that because its not who I am...it's just pain is ruling my life though its not much of a life. I'm plain unhappy ATM...

How many of us who live on their own and have basically no-one to depend/rely on here on this forum? Not too many I think !

Yes, I'm sitting on the pity pot today, hot and bothered with too much to do and I'm totally exhausted again from no sleep. I'm too tired to do anything and I just smashed my car because I'm too tired and my feet are numb however I had an important appt or I wouldn't of even gone out. ...oh well another day of pain, will I ever get used to this life, no I don't think I want too...I was hoping to go on an overseas holiday though I can't find anybody to go with and its no fun on your own so that's been put on hold. One friend said how can you do that in your condition and my reply was of course I can I just need extra pain meds for the flight. Looking at me one wouldn't know anything was wrong, so I get judged constantly by old work mates who I've bumped into at the local grocery shop... Anyway it's all off my chest now and any comments advice is welcome... Maybe I should just go back on my anti-depressants avanza and then I might feel like I'm part of the human race again or will I because they make me too dopey the next day... Sorry for the whinge, I'm just feeling very single and lonely coping with all of this on my own!!!! B)
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Eliza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #12463 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Re: How do you cope with cp and chronic fatigue?
Eliza have a look in the thread New Member - This is my story on page 4 you will see 2 pictures on what CP does to a person and unless you try and break this cycle the misery will get worse, we have all been through what you are feeling and those who survive have been through a pain management course and have a pain management team behind them.
I know you are on work cover and they will not assist you in going to a pain clinic, bite the bullet and take on your own back and ask your GP for a referral, you have everything to gain.

Big hugs Don

More
5 years 5 months ago #12467 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Re: How do you cope with cp and chronic fatigue?
Hi Eliza,

Sorry that you are feeling so low. Don has given you some excellent advice. A pain management program really is the only way to have a life with CP. The meds will very often cease to work over time but if you have other tools in place, then you can slowly improve the state of your body (sounds impossible I know, but it can be done). Then the meds that you do take will be effective because you are not just relying on those alone. It is a very gradual process but one which is well worth the effort in the end. You can become a person who has a life and CP, not just a big bunch of CP.

I know that it is really hard for you because you are on your own, but you will meet others at the pain clinic and you may become friends with them because you will have so much in common. Try and get into a group program if you can. The relief you will feel just talking with other people who understand and are not judging you is wonderful.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

• Eliza
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12468 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: Re: How do you cope with cp and chronic fatigue?
:) yes, thanks Don that tells my story! Very good description of what's going on...I'm going to email you privately,hopefully tonight when and if I can sit at my desktop computer and tell you what's going on with all the other w.c stuff...it's unbelievable!

Thanks again a thread should be started with those 2 descriptions and then they could be added to and seen better because I missed those 2...

Hugs to you too
Eliza

More
5 years 5 months ago #12469 by hopeful_kate
hopeful_kate replied the topic: Re: How do you cope with cp and chronic fatigue?
I felt like this until I saw a very good psychologist and did cognitive behaviour therapy. I thought these things all the time but what you're thinking is not helping you. She helped me come up with thoughts that were the EXACT truth, not just an exaggerated catastrophisation (no that isn't a real word). I often do feel like you but not all the time like I used to. Good luck Eliza. Oh and if it's too tricky to get into the pain clinic, a psychologist who does CBT (most do) probably would help. It took me around 8 appointments before I started feeling like life was worth living again. Medicare pays $80 out of a $110 consult too, up to 10 a year so that helps... X

• Eliza
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12470 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: Re: How do you cope with cp and chronic fatigue?
Thank-you Mary ! Thank-you Don !

They only run a course twice a year here so it could be a long way off yet, maybe march at this stage but nothing is concrete yet because they have to get enough participants, though I'm reluctant because its at the hospital which I used to work at. And I would feel traumatised to go anywhere near it, I told my pain psychologist however I'm thinking about it carefully if they can pick me up I might be able to do it however I'm so scared of running into my judgemental colleagues who I worked with! It was horrific what I had to put up with and most people would be horrified with the comments and demands I received on a daily basis while I worked for 2 years in pain until my dr put me unfit and I had the spinal fusion. I don't even like thinking of the place because it puts me in a dark place which I'll never forget. I just have to be strong, I did nothing wrong except I had a accident that put me in this position I'm in now. A lonely painful one!

Hugs to you both!

Eliza

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153