Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× Welcome to the Chronic Pain Australia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Work issues

• Oxytotem
  • Oxytotem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #12760 by Oxytotem
Oxytotem created the topic: Work issues
Just found out a coworker told my boss I said I was addicted to painkillers and wanted to kill myself.i didn't say either of these things...no wonder my boss gave me a number for a counsellor!i cannot believe how some people will go behind my back and say these things...I also cannot believe my boss wouldn't even explain the exact reason why he was offering me this..I thought it was something i Said or because he thought I was doing bad at my job.also very angry I was offered help at a time when I am actually feeling pretty good and stable..if the help was offered a year ago after I lost my little cousin,I would of appreciated it,then i was not long after i was told he doesnt care wats happening in my personal life and that im here to workI'm just offended at the fact that he listening to everyone bar me, even the bloody gossip queen that told him this!i was also given a drug and alcohol policy to sign at the same time just to add insult to injury!god no wonder if this doesn't actually cause some sort of severe depressive episode.feel betrayed!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago #12783 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Work issues
Oxy big misconception we are not drug addicts and that needs to be pointed out to your boss, we take pain killers out of necessity the same as they take panadol for a headache, sure we may be reliant on pain killers and in short addicted, the big difference is we could give them up at any time, we don't go shopping for suppliers, follow when and how to take them and always under the careful eye of our medical team.
This attitude is just another one of the stigmatisations we are labelled with, and like all others you have to try and not take it all on board, sure it hurts and you can get angry, but see it for what it is uneducated people making comments on something they have no idea about.
If need be ask your doctor to write a letter explain what and why you are on the medication, and your boss should have no come back like you say you do your job and do it well.

Don

More
5 years 4 months ago #12802 by di
di replied the topic: Work issues
Hi Oxytotem :),

Firstly, the woman that went to your boss was doing what she thought was right to protect you and the workplace under the guise of gossip. Not a great thing to have happen and you must be very embarrassed by it. I'm sorry you've had to go through that Oxy, it's sadly, one of the down sides we put up with as Cpers.

If it was me, I'd be now asking for a meeting with my boss and calmly but precisely explaining my condition and medical care that's under strict doctor supervision to him.

We all need to communicate with people about our needs and condition rather than expect them to just understand.

Hugs to you,
Di xo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oxytotem

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
5 years 4 months ago #12813 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Work issues
G'Day Oxy, and welcome to the Forum!

Mate, first off, if you don't want people to think you are addicted, why did you pick the username you have in this forum?

Yeah, silly question to be asked here among people who know why you take these drugs, but if your boss or the work place snitch, ever decided to look on the internet for you and found you using this kind of username, it would not go down well for you.
If you wish to change it to something a little less controversial, then please let me know and I'll do the honours for you.

Now, as for the sticky beak gossip who can't keep her mouth shut and is intent on scoring brownie points with the boss, I would suggest if this has caused you any distress or issues with regard your work prospects, you go see a community based lawyer, which should not cost you much and ask them to write a letter demanding that this woman desist and apologise for her lies, plus set the record straight with your boss that she lied, otherwise you will take her to court and sue the pants off of her. A simple letter like that from a legal source, is often enough to put the wind up most gutless individuals.

And for the boss. I would go have a meeting with him, armed with letter from doctors etc and copies of your prescriptions etc, and I would ask him if it is company policy to require ALL employees to sign these drug and alcohol policies. Ask some of the other employees first to see if they have been made to sign one.
If he says no, then ask that the document be removed from your file and destroyed there in front of you, or you will be seeking redress through the equal opportunity commission for discrimination.

Now, I would try the softly softly approach with your boss first of all, because you don't want to eventually lose your job. But in the end, if you aren't too bothered by it all, then don't kick up the dust in the first place and don't address it with your boss.
However, I wouldn't let the workplace mouth get away with it though. If the boss listens to her, your next step could be out the front door and on the dole.

I agree with the others that we suffer so much discrimination, because of the drugs we take and the fact we use a term that is associated with bludgers. One day people will relate 'Chronic Pain' as important as illnesses such as Diabetes and Osteoporosis.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

More
5 years 4 months ago #12850 by titan55
titan55 replied the topic: Work issues
i hear you oxytotem.it is wrong what has happened to you and i think you should have a talk with your boss about it all.some people think they are helping in their own way but they can make things worse as you have discovered.i hope it all gets sorted out and you can continue working in a happy enviroment.take care.

chronic migraines and headaches for over 25 years.
intercystitial cystitis.
chronic facial pain due to allergies
irratable bowel syndrome
chronic upper tummy pain
fibromyalgia
depression

• GarfieldRules
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago #12856 by GarfieldRules
GarfieldRules replied the topic: Work issues
If it had happened to me I would confront the person who went to the boss first and set the record straight. I then would go to the boss and explain what is really going on. That snitch should have come to you first. I have had this happen to me in the workplace heaps of times over other matters. I must admit I just tried to ignore it. In the end the boss told the other person off for annoying him all the time with stories about me.

And yes boss's dont care about your personal life. They just want you there to work.

I hope you get this all sorted out. Its not a nice feeling going to work and knowing this is all going on. Let us know how you go.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153