Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× Welcome to the Chronic Pain Australia forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Help - Anyone been through Workcover Court Case?

• BIY
  • BIY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #9883 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: Re: Help - Anyone been through Workcover Court Case?
Thank you so much Vicki for being so generous with your information. I really appreciate it as this is all strange and unfamiliar territory :dry:

May I please ask you how many hours your stay in the courtroom was? Are there many breaks? I can't usually sit for too long comfortably in upright chairs because of my neck, but I don't want to seem like I'm being over dramatic by asking for breaks or getting up and walking around.

I also thought about what you said about there being some embarrassing questions and in some ways you were glad you were in there by yourself. I have absolutely bared all about my past in my affidavit that was submitted last year (who doesn't have things they regret and are not proud of...and also all the stuff about past depression which got pretty bad at a few points in my life). So I wondered if you had already done this in your affidavit and then they went digging even deeper or something for the embarrassing questions? I kind of feel I've already bared my soul as my first solicitor said that I had to be totally transparent and not hide anything...so I just wondered if I've already covered the scope of the embarrassment?

It is a very soul destroying system we have, I must say, that goes into such depth about your family history and every detail about my life and mental state since I was 19 (I am now in early 50's) for a physical injury that only happened 7 years ago. (I say 'only' meaning in the context of how far they want to go back with information not in regards to how long this has dragged on for as that seems like a damn long time!)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have very few remaining friends since becoming so isolated with CP and as my husband will have to wait outside like your mum did because of him doing an affidavit, it's been difficult to think of who I could possibly ask to come with me. But if it is just for a few hours, maybe I can just grit my teeth like you have to do when you go through an unpleasant medical procedure and just get through it on my own? Not sure yet.

Thank you again Vicki. I can't tell you how appreciative I am for you helping to demystify this. It's one thing hearing it from the Barrister (which I will do when being briefed the day prior), but to hear it from a fellow CPer who's been through it sitting on my side of the fence is like pure gold :)

:) Fee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #9894 by Orangegirl9
Orangegirl9 replied the topic: Re: Help - Anyone been through Workcover Court Case?
HI Fee

So glad to help. I've kept it simple as possible!

May I please ask you how many hours your stay in the courtroom was?
My case was booked to run for three days. It took One and a half. Court starts at 10.30 so the days aren't long. There is a one hour meal break.

Are there many breaks?
You'll not be able to take a break during your testimony. There will be a chair so you can stand up and sit down as often as you need.

I can't usually sit for too long comfortably in upright chairs because of my neck, but I don't want to seem like I'm being over dramatic by asking for breaks or getting up and walking around.
There is a lot of movement in the court room. When you are sitting in the public area you can hop up and walk outside really easily. You don't need to ask permission. Your legal team won't need you - it isn't like in The Good Wife where everyone leans over and talks to the client! You're left to your own devices. The doors of the court room open and close automatically so you don't have to worry about making noise or banging doors or being quiet.

...so I just wondered if I've already covered the scope of the embarrassment?
Yes. Scope covered. Only thing left is to tell the truth when asked.

But if it is just for a few hours, maybe I can just grit my teeth like you have to do when you go through an unpleasant medical procedure and just get through it on my own?
Fee - your court appearance won't come close to any of the horrible medical procedures we've been through. I promise you it will be less than 1% of 1% of the worst procedure you've had. We steel ourselves for pain 24/7, each procedure having to destroy the village in order to save it. It isn't going to hurt. At all.
(In fact I'd rather go through court again than face the headache I'm going to get from shaving my legs later!)

And, the closer you get to your court date, the closer you get to the day after. The day you wake up and it's over. And that day is extraordinary.

Vx

"To get to the other shore, you've gotta lost sight of this one."

Steven Tyler, American Idol 2012
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIY

• BIY
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #9905 by BIY
Hugs to you Vicki for being such a blessing to me at this time. I really appreciate it and you are helping me so much with the fear factor because so much of that was based on the unknown.

May I ask if you were able to sit with your mum when you went outside the courtroom or was she kept in a separate room because of being a potential witness? It is nice to know that when I'm not testifying I am free to come and go as I need to. It would be extra nice if I could go sit with my husband outside of the courtroom during those times.

I did go on a site that gives some information, but the forum and information was full of angry people venting at the system in really aggressive language. It took me a long time to stop being angry about what happened (which of course exacerbates pain!) and reach a measure of acceptance through the pain management program I started this year especially with the pain psychologist. What I love about your information is that it's so down to earth and practical and factual. You can tell that you were a great EA and project manager....so I just want to encourage you that even though you can't do that work now, your skills are being used in a different way :)

I'm pretty sure I read in one of your posts that you're from Victoria so we are both under the same state workcover as I am from Vic too.

Fee xo

More
5 years 7 months ago #9908 by Orangegirl9
Orangegirl9 replied the topic: Re: Help - Anyone been through Workcover Court Case?
It's really great to be able to help. ;)

Witnesses aren't kept in a separate room: there's a really lovely light filled foyer with comfy seats and lovely clean toilets! There's also artworks from traveling exhibitions that Mum said were pretty good. Also, people from other courts have discussions about their cases, some were heated... Mum said it was so awesome!

You won't be able to see any witnesses while you're testifying but after that you can sit wherever you like. Your legal team may have a preference but mine seemed used to dealing with people in pain.

Thanks for the encouragement! That gave me a buzz! I'm from Melbourne but, don't forget, that I'm TAC, not Workcover. Same beast, different head!

V

"To get to the other shore, you've gotta lost sight of this one."

Steven Tyler, American Idol 2012

• BIY
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 6 months ago #11255 by BIY
Latest update: adjourned for another 9 months...opposing side's lawyers weren't quite finished with preparing their case!

What can I say.....

Fee

More
5 years 6 months ago #11258 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: Re: Help - Anyone been through Workcover Court Case?
Omg!

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153