× This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.

Does this site needs a revamp/spring clean?

• Ketamine Karen
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 4 days ago #29332 by Ketamine Karen
Does this site needs a revamp/spring clean? was created by Ketamine Karen
I am on a few forums for my varied, different interests and none of the others are related to pain. To me this forum looks a little old and tired. When I look at subjects and the last post was months or days ago it gives the impression it is not a "living/breathing" forum. Am I having trouble seeing the freshness/negotiating the site? Please let me know if it is me as I am not tying to be mean. I know that all forums have a lot of lurkers but I agree with Bella. Is there anyone here apart from the moderators here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
1 week 4 days ago #29333 by Peter

Ketamine Karen wrote: I am on a few forums for my varied, different interests and none of the others are related to pain. To me this forum looks a little old and tired. When I look at subjects and the last post was months or days ago it gives the impression it is not a "living/breathing" forum. Am I having trouble seeing the freshness/negotiating the site? Please let me know if it is me as I am not tying to be mean. I know that all forums have a lot of lurkers but I agree with Bella. Is there anyone here apart from the moderators here?

Hi Karen,

Oh how observant you are!

Unfortunately yes, the forum is tired and in need of a revamp. And you have asked this right at the opportune time, because after Christmas/New Year our Web/Gurus are going to be working on the forum. They have just completed the website which looks really good and colourful and next job is the forum.

The forum will be the more difficult in one way, but easier in another. The aesthetics will be easily changed and brightened up, but there is a desperate need for a lot of work to be done on the forum archive to fix the mess that lies within. Too many posts in categories that they don't belong in and many deleted posts still existing that need to be permanently deleted. Only us moderators can see these blanked out posts and there are a lot of them.

We are also in need of a couple more moderators, which as soon as we update the Forum Moderator Policy, we will be advertising for expressions of interest from people who would like to volunteer to do the job. So it is a live issue and is not forgotten.

As for the forum being unattended or utilised, have you ever looked down the bottom and the statistic section where the numbers of guests is listed? On any day of the week you will see that there are always hundreds of people visiting our forum reading articles and posts. This is what our forum is designed for. It is 100% public and free for all who want to take the time to read. The only catch is that if they want to post they have to register.

People who suffer chronic pain are not always going to be here on the forum posting. It isn't that kind of forum and people who suffer pain are not like that either. Just picture this. If you have a day with reduced pain, would you spend any of that sitting at your computer posting on a forum? I can tell you that there's no way I would. I would be out making hay while the sun shined. Then the next day when I crashed, I still wouldn't look at it, but maybe in a few days when I need a bit of information on how to avoid the boom and bust cycle, I would come back to the forum and start reading again.

This is what it's for, but we are going to try and garner more activity next year after the revamp, but highlighting links to the forum on all our social media accounts.

Anyway, thanks for taking an interest. People like you, keep this forum alive!

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

• Ketamine Karen
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 4 days ago #29334 by Ketamine Karen
Replied by Ketamine Karen on topic Does this site needs a revamp/spring clean?
What a wonderful reply, I am excited and happy to be considered on board! On some forums my OP would be considered the type of heresy that would see me blocked. Thank you for being so respectful.

You are absolutely right that people who are feeling well don't come here. I have been miserable for a while so thought I would drop in and was disappointed that it looked tired compared to other forums. I am excited to hear about the changes and possibly be involved in the future.

Cheers and may tomorrow be a low pain day for you!

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 week 4 days ago #29335 by Peter
Karen, our problem is that us moderators also suffer chronic illnesses and chronic pain. So we also don't want to be on here all day, every day. But I am logged in every day to make sure that someone is here looking in every now and then to see how things are going.

John and Jo have been doing much the same too. I couldn't run the place without them.

We are a pretty relaxed bunch at Chronic Pain Australia and we don't get all head up just because someone asks questions about the forum.

It is tired. That's plainly obvious. No point denying it. We have been aware of it for a while now, but could not deal with it this year, because we revamped the main CPA website and also the National Pain Week website.

So keep an eye out for lots of colour with the forum sometime maybe Feb or March. What the guys will do, is create a dummy copy of the forum in the back end and then work on it making all the changes. Once they have it right and the Board is happy with it, then they'll publish the new forum.

However, that will just fix the look and functionality of the forum. It won't fix the problems with the posts and the archive. This will be a much longer fix and this is one of the reasons why we need some new moderators.

Anyway, I'm glad you're here on the forum Karen and I'm glad you were interested enough to actually ask the question.

Also, this time of the year is often very quiet. We have quite a few members who live on their own and who are isolated, and often times on Christmas Day they will come here and post to see if there is anyone around, mostly because they are lonely. I always try to remain online on days like Christmas and Easter, so that they have someone to talk to.

Anyway, take care and we'll chat again soon!

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

• Ketamine Karen
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 4 days ago #29336 by Ketamine Karen
Replied by Ketamine Karen on topic Does this site needs a revamp/spring clean?
Please count me in if I can help in anyway.

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 week 4 days ago #29337 by Peter
Well, what skills do you have that may be of assistance to us?

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds