Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

× This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.

federal budget- effecting pain

• Nadia
  • Nadia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 9 months ago #6555 by Nadia
Nadia created the topic: federal budget- effecting pain
Hello Everybody,
You may not be aware that on that the budget made an annoucement that will significantly effect those in pain or ill and working and requiring medical treatment that is not met by medicare. Prior to the changes is out of pocket expences were spent and this came to over $1500 then following treatments expenses were only 20%. As we would all be aware medical costs add up and allied heath is often what can assist in functioning and experiencing less pain.

We will now have to spend $5000 before the tax free threshhold is reached. This is a significant out of pocket expense and is just the begining. Whist this does not effect those on low incomes it is a huge cost for those over $84 000. I feel we need to do something about this and point out the effects of such policies. The sick and injured should not be balancing the budget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: titan55

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #6556 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Re: federal budget- effecting pain
Hi Nadia,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you will find it of benefit with your pain management. That information that you have shared all sounds rather nasty for some people. Can you post a link so that we can read it and then, perhaps, write to someone to complain? Do you know if this is just applies to pain management or is it a rehash of the old scheme where once you had spent a certain amount on out of pocket expenses, the Govt. then covered 85% (I think).

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

More
5 years 9 months ago #6566 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: Re: federal budget- effecting pain
Lyrica is very expensive...$188.85 for 56 tablets at my chemist...

That's not fair Nadia, if you work you are penalised, even though you work in pain.

My Dr was giving me trial packs of 8 for a long time. Neurontin or gabentin didn't help me. I know lots of people who work and who are on Neurontin all though they would prefer Lyrica, but it's too expensive.

I don't think Lyrica is helping me until I stop it, then I realise how much it helps. My Nerve condition is chronic and i was told the Spinal Stimulater is the best option for my nerve pain. I'm so so sick of being in pain..... :sick: Thou I don't want them messing around near my spine again. :angry:

More
5 years 9 months ago #6567 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Re: federal budget- effecting pain
Eliza, you can get Lyrica at the 'normal' price at a pain clinic in a public hospital. I will be able to tell you more on Tuesday.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

More
5 years 9 months ago #6570 by titan55
titan55 replied the topic: Re: federal budget- effecting pain
hi nadia.welcome to this wonderful and supportive forum.i agree with you on everything you have said.i just wish the government would read these types of posts so they finally have a clue what it is like for the rest of us.

chronic migraines and headaches for over 25 years.
intercystitial cystitis.
chronic facial pain due to allergies
irratable bowel syndrome
chronic upper tummy pain
fibromyalgia
depression

• happy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 9 months ago #6586 by happy
happy replied the topic: Re: federal budget- effecting pain
I actually think 84K is a reasonable ammount to disqualify you from the threashold. That's actually quite high. When I work I only get 35k and pay for everything meds costing $120 a month insurance $90 a month and the rest. Right now 84K would be like winning the lottery as I'm stuck on the dole paying for everything on 12k.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153