Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

FOOD!

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #13594 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: FOOD!
Wendles this version has a creamy texture if you use the dried coconut powder like suggested, and even though it has 6 chillies in it, the heat isn't over the top, don't let the long list of ingredients put you off, it's very easy to make and not very time consuming. Beats those canned versions hands down. If you are just making it for two freeze half the mixture before adding any prawns or meat, this will still give 2 very large soup bowls and leave you full after eating ( or should I say slurping)
I hope you do give it a try, all my friends and family keep asking to come around for a laksa soup night after having a taste.

Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #13698 by Oxytotem
Oxytotem replied the topic: FOOD!

O by the way everyone,if you manage to get to an Asian grocers or the like look out for Larich curry paste.they do a lamb,chicken,beef an fish one,but all of them are vegetarian comparable and can be mixed an matched depending on your taste re meats used.its a Sri Lankan brand,very fragrant and simply moorish.heres a photo so you know what to look out for.p.s if you don't like too stronger flavour add extra coconut milk or use a bit less than stated as its quite a strong mix!happy cooking everyone!
Attachments:
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Oxytotem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mary

More
5 years 6 months ago #13699 by Oxytotem
That's my dads ciabatta in the background too.its soooo good.chewy and yeasty.he uses the Burke street bakery no knead method,where you only use a tiny amount of yeast and cover it up for about 16 hours to ferment.the book is in the local library,and next time I'm there will definitely get it out and add it to this section.apart from being easy,it also kind on the hands :lol:

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #13701 by Oxytotem
Sri Lankan chicken curry with baby eggplant serves 6-8

800 g of chicken thigh,skinless and boneless cut into bite size chunks
3-4 tablespoons of Larich chicken curry paste
2 medium onions thinly sliced in half moon
4 small kaffir lime leaves
3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
6baby eggplant
Good handful of green or snake beans sliced in 2-3 on the angle
1/3 bottle of draught beer-I just used Carlton draught,it was what I was drinking at the time :woohoo:
2tablespoons peanut oil
Knob of butter
2cups approx chicken stock
1 tin of coconut milk

Brown off the chicken pieces on a medium heat in the peanut oil and then turn down heat a bit and add your onions and cook down til nicely starting to break down,add in the garlic, the butter and cook out for a minute or so til fragrant and opaque,spoon in the curry paste and fry off til all those lovely spices have fragrantly permeated the kitchen and toasted the paste nicely,pour in your beer and cook right down til there is only a small amount of liquid resembling a very thick gravy in the bottom of the pan.pour in the coconut milk and add just enough chicken stock to cover the chicken pieces.

Simmer this for a bout 25 mins then add the quartered baby eggplant and cook for further 15-20 minutes.during the last 5 minutes of cooking add in the beans.

I like to cook my rice for 6 minutes in boiling water then strain,place in a colander or sieve and steam over a pot with the lid or some foil over the top for another 6-8 minutes and fluff with a fork maybe 2-3 times.

This curry is great served with roti paratha,which is a flat bread with an almost pastry like crispy consistency

Roti paratha makes 10

280g or 2 and 1/4 cups of chapati flour
40 g of cold ghee
Melted ghee or oil for cooking

Place flour and a large pinch of salt in a bowl and rub the cold ghee in with ur fingertips,just like making a short crust dough
Make a well in the centre and gradually add about 3/4 cup of cold water and stir with a butter knife to form a firm dough
Knead on a well floured surface until smooth and cover with cling wrap for 40 minutes to rest

Divide into 10 pieces and roll each into 5 pinch circle, brush with melted ghee or oil.
Cut through each round to the centre and roll tightly into a cone shape,then press down on the pointed top, re roll into a 5 inch circle again.

Cook one at a time in hot oil or ghee in a frying pan until puffed up and golden brown on both side, you won't be quite shallow frying these but a fairly decent amount of oil/ghee is needed to create that lovely pastry like texture.drain on paper towel and keep warm in a low oven while yo do the others.

Hope you enjoy this guys,it's a sure favourite with my parents and friends!
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Oxytotem.

More
5 years 6 months ago #13932 by coralie
coralie replied the topic: FOOD!
OK,OK,OK

this thread is very productive and really yummy.
I have one for you - it has only ONE ingredient - really good if you want something luscious, sweet, easy and healthy in the hot weather.

BANANA ICECREAM

This is unbelievable. Don't underestimate its amazing taste, i didn't believe it when my Turkish chef friend who knew i couldn't have dairy or gluten but had invited us for dinner said she had a surprise dessert. And did she what!

When your bananas are overripe - yes, going on black - peel them and put them in a bag in the freezer. The more the merrier. When you want an absolute treat, bring them out and pop them in the whizz.

Voila! you have banana icecream.

I dare you to try it.

Coralie

More
5 years 6 months ago #14145 by Santosha
Santosha replied the topic: FOOD!
Hi Oxy,
Looking at the last recipe you posted, the chicken curry, i think you may have volunteered yourself for a weekly recipe.
I have been vegetarian all my life, but am planning of giving your recipe a go. I will swap the stock and replace the chicken with some home made paneer (indian cheese). One of my neighbors is indian and has some snake beans growing on the front fence. Time for a friendly visit to her fence.

People generally don't realise how easy it is to make indian breads. They are so versatile, and you can always make a meal of them alone if you fill them with things like mashed potato, cooked onion, herbs, paneer, etc.

Looking fwd to your next recipe, when you get a free moment.

Iain

Woof
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oxytotem

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150