Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

FOOD!

More
5 years 3 months ago #14158 by Oxytotem
Oxytotem replied the topic: FOOD!
My Tzatziki- this was how it was made in the taverna I used to work at.

1 kg of Greek yoghurt,strained in muslin cloth over night
3 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
a few good pinches of salt
2 large cucumbers finely diced,seeds removed
Bunch of dill chopped
White pepper
About half a cup of fruity olive oil ( to make desired thickness)

Mix it all together and serve with souvlaki,spanakopita etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #14173 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: FOOD!
Hint for buying yoghurt, go do your nearest Indian grocery store, good plain yoghurt at half the price and you can also pick up your frozen mango as well. Spices are cheap also.

Don

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #14179 by grappers
Iain the name of the cookbook is 1,000 INDIAN Recipes author Neelam Batra first printed in 2002

Don

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #14206 by Santosha
Santosha replied the topic: FOOD!
Hi again,
Paneer is easy to make and so versatile.
We both seem to use the same milk acid ratios, 1 litre of milk to 2T of acid.
Lately i have been using vinegar after many years of lemon juice.
What i notice is that i end up with a larger quantity of the paneer.

After deciding to make paneer one day, whilst being very hungry, I decided that i was not going to wait for hours to let the paneer set.
I let it sit in the muslin for sbout twenty minutes, whilst doing the rest o the meal prep, then cut it up and added it to the meal. It was still firm and didn't crumble in the curry, so it worked fine.

The other thing i have played with is texture.
I still drain the paneer through the muslin, but don't squeeze any liquid out. Initially i stopped squeezing the moisture out because the hot temperaure of the paneer against the skin of my hands would send me into heightened states of pain. These days I get a plate and put a folded teatowel on it, then leaving the paneer in the muslin, i place it on the plate allowing it to rest. The underlying teatowel absorbs excess liquid from the paneer. Then after 15-20 minutes of resting, I proceed to cut and use it.

What i have found is that it is still firm, holds together, but has a much softer texture when eaten.
The soft texture remains whether i shallow fry it or add it straight to a curry. I actually enjoy the texture much more than that hard paneer you can buy at the supermarkets.

The other thing is that i have access to full cream milk from guernsey cows, and the paneer from this milk is something else.

The other thing is that if i am making a curry i will keep some of the drained liquid (the whey) from making the paneer and use it in the curry for extra flavour.

Woof
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Santosha. Reason: Recipe omission
The following user(s) said Thank You: grappers, Oxytotem

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 2 months ago #14464 by grappers
Made a lovely Mocha Torte yesterday so here is the recipe
The Cake

4 eggs
1/2 cup of castor sugar
1/4 cup of boiling water
2 teaspoons of granulated coffee
2 teaspoons of cocoa powder ( I used Dutch chocolate powder )
60 grams of butter melted
3/4 cup of sifted self raising flour

The Filling

300ml cream
2 tablespoons of icing sugar
1 teaspoon of granulated coffee
1 teaspoon of cocoa ( I used Dutch again )
2 tablespoons of boiled water

Chocolate Topping

200 grams of dark cooking chocolate ( I preferred old gold chocolate )
150 grams of butter ( if using old gold cut it back to 100 grams )

Make sure eggs are at room temperature, combine water, coffee, chocolate powder and melted butter together in a jug to cool, place eggs in mixer and beat until pale and about triple its volume, slowly add in caster sugar and beat until dissolved, slowly add cooled mixture to the eggs being careful not to knock out too much volume out of the egg mixture, now slowly fold in the sifted flower, pour into 10 inch spring formed greased and lined cake tin, place into a pre heated oven at 180 deg Celsius for 30-35 minutes or until cooked.

The filling place in a mixing bowl 300ml cream, 2 tablespoons of icing sugar, combine the 1 teaspoon of coffee and chocolate with the 2 tablespoons of hot water in a small bowl and mix, add to cream and icing sugar when cooled, beat on high until thick, this has to be very thick so as to to be absorbed into the cake.

The Chocolate topping, place chocolate and butter in a large bowl over boiling water, make sure the bowl does not touch the water, keep stirring until it has all melted, place aside to cool.

When the cake has cooled cut into 3 even layers, spoon half the filling onto the bottom layer, spread evenly to the edges, place on middle layer, spread the remaining filling on this next layer and spread, place on the top layer. If the chocolate topping has not thickened enough place in the fridge until it is thick enough to handle while still being easy to spread, coat the sides of the cake first, then spread the remaining topping on the top and spread evenly, refrigerate immediately, after about 1 hr. slice and enjoy, don't try to eat to big of a slice it is very rich, keep refrigerated the chocolate topping will melt if it is warm.

Don

More
5 years 2 months ago #14472 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: FOOD!
Does anyone know if you still have to grease the silicone muffin trays? I rarely make muffins, but my muffin tray was very much in need of replacement and I saw some silicone ones on special today so I bought them. It tells you everything you can do with them regarding temperatures etc. but it doesn't say whether you still need to grease them.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153