Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Introduce Yourself Here.....

More
5 years 1 month ago #12753 by terseyau
terseyau replied the topic: Introduce Yourself Here....
I am glad that we are of help, or even just opening a different thought path. We both have had many years of just medication, which sadly left us sicker than the start.

I would never advocate no prescribed medications, no surgery. We both do advocate try all options. Try a combination of therapies. Any therapy that you do try give it time to work. Please talk to your Drs about what you find works and what alternative medicines you would like to try. If your Dr doesn't talk to you find one that does.

The most important thing is ME TIME! Do what you love in any way or form that you can or learn a new love.

We had to start our lives all over again a very frightening step to take. We did it and survived but that is another story!

Terry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mary
  • Mary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 1 month ago #12754 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Introduce Yourself Here....
I agree regarding the medication. You definitely need some sort of pain relief to enable you to make the most of pain management courses - whatever they may be. I was lucky in that respect. Lyrica took my pain levels down enough for me to be able to use my brain, even though it gives you short term memory problems!LOL

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

More
5 years 1 month ago #12755 by terseyau
Me back again.

We are a strange couple here due to our illness, the damage that was done through trying to manage with lots of medication and due to what RSD does to the body we are unable to use most of the pain medications.

Currently we are limited to panamax and like. We use natural medications. Our bodies shut down when given stronger medication. Because of this and the current RSD list of complications for long term sufferers the patches and drips are being kept for possible surgery and further deterioration.

Long term use of any medication eventually reduces its effectiveness. Local anaesthetics and blocks do not have any effect on our bodies.

More
5 years 1 month ago #12758 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: Introduce Yourself Here....
Hi Terry,

Would it be ok if I asked you what type of natural therapies you use? I know everyone is different and what works for one does not necessarily work for another. E.g. a lot of people have advised magnesium powder helps with restless leg syndrome, but I found it made no difference whereas others swear by how much it has helped them.

I would really be interested to hear alternatives you've discovered as I think it is always good to keep an open mind. We share about different medications and procedures on this forum so I don't see why alternate therapies can't be discussed too (as long as that is ok with you :-) ....don't want you to feel like you've only joined two minutes ago and already I am picking your brains. It's just that alternate therapies has not really come up much and is really interesting.

I agree with you about finding something else...for me it was discovering mixed media art last year. Our lives are never going to look the same as they used to pre CP, and for me there was a long grieving period to come to terms with that. Art has been the change in direction for me.

:-) Fee

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #12764 by Oxytotem
Oxytotem replied the topic: Introduce Yourself Here....
Wrong section,my bad
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Oxytotem. Reason: Wrong section

More
5 years 1 month ago #12808 by terseyau
Hi Fee, I don't mind answering questions. Pick my brain as much as you like.

Firstly I will say before using vitamins / supplements I do think it is preferable to visit a naturopath at least.

Make yourself very familiar with the drugs you are already taking and checkout the interaction website.

Ray was taking zyloprim for arthritis and decided to use a natural give up smoking remedy which contained St Johns Wort.This caused a drug reaction. Now no dr or chemist were aware of the reactions between these two items, I found a mention on an obscure USA website..

Anway as for what we use Glucosamine tablets, RSD causes osteoarthritis and found that the Glucosamine helps with the pain. Vit B 6 or mega B this helps with the nerve pain and muscle spasm. Magnesium, not the powder. It can be purchased as Zinc Magnesium and B6, By natures Own. We used for lots of years and only changed as I am requiring a bigger does of magnesium to counter headaches.

The best thing i found was Dandelion tablets this helped relieve the chronic constipation we are all familiar with. It is mild and does not upset tummy too much. It also aids the liver. i had a poor liver and now it is almost back to normal. Not a 5 min fix but good.

Grape Seed tablets are good also but are more for detoxifying so can be a lot harsher.

Since I cannot use antibiotics I use Golden Seal, it is a little harder to get. Natures Own make it. It helps with cold and flu symptoms as well. It is a liver detox so one tablet at a time to begin with....

then the good old staples, vinegar, lemon, honey, chilli, garlic soup, miso, shitake mushrooms.

I use Yoga, Tai Chi, Meditation, anything along these lines also to assist in pain management.

Our story is long and complicated suffice to say when I take most medications my body functions shut down. I have had to take over my treatment and learn.

For example if i take fish oil capsules my Vit b level drops very low, so low I was on injections for 12 months.

Hope you find that interesting

Terry & Ray :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendles

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153