Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Introduce Yourself Here.....

More
5 years 5 months ago #14495 by kebsa
kebsa replied the topic: Introduce Yourself Here.....
i forgot to mention how sad i was to read that you had to give up your horses over all this too, it does show how much you love your horses that you put their welfare ahead of your emotional needs- some years back i was in and out of hospital for a good portion of the yrs and had not actually recieved a diagnosis- my little dog was getting stressed by going in and out of kennels and i was running out of funds to pay for the kennels- the hardest thing i ever did was to give her up to be re homed! eventually my Ms was diagnosed and i heard from animal welfare that my dog had gone to an older man who lived with his daughter and had settled in well- it was the right thing to do but it was so tough- so i feel for you!

i am glad the other made a comment about the back surgery, my original problems were after a foot injury- i had surgery to fuse/stabilise my ankle and while it may have helped one problem is caused others- so the next few yrs wer filled with surgical procedures til eventually my leg was amputated- had i not had the surgery i would have needed a below knee caliper ut eventually had to have one anyway- the original fusion fused in a slightly off position- not bad surgery just one of those things that can happen with orthodpedics! if i could go back in time i would not have agree to it. i have major back issues now after sustaining crush fractures in a fall as well as degenerative changes but if they offered surgery tomorrow i would be loathe to agree without a very strong argument- but i would never get inot a pattern of repeated procedures again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #14508 by Punk265
Punk265 replied the topic: Introduce Yourself Here.....
Thank you to you all for your warm welcomes, it's great finding a place that I can talk with people at all hours & have already received great advice!

Thank you kebsa for the info about work, that is really handy to know. I have the welfare officer from work calling in this morning, so I may put the ideas to him to see if there is anything they can do for me, I'll see how I go. I am involved with a pain clinic type set up with my pain dr, it ties in with the psych I see & also Physio, GP etc. they are all based at the private hospital & have weekly meetings to discuss patients progress/issues/que's. I'm new to the psych side of things, but he sent me home with a pile of paperwork & a cpl of CDs to listen to. My pain dr gave me a book whilst I was in hospital that is used in quite a few 'clinics' & addresses a lot of coping mechanisms. I have to admit, I have a good group of dr's who have all taken an interest in my case. I'm sorry to hear about your dog, but you're right about the care & knowing they are moving on to wonderful homes. I still have my dogs, but with the 4 horses as well it was too much to expect my partner to deal with along with working full time. without him though I wouldn't even have my dogs so I have to be happy with that. I wish you well with your new job, I hope you find it fulfilling & enjoyable! :)

I agree with all of you re hindsight & multiple procedures (or even the initial op) but I can't let myself think about all that too much, I'd end up full of anger & resentment :angry: which doesn't help with moving forward! My initial op I was told was an 'emergency' situation & if left could have seen me paralysed, so I guess I put my faith in the surgeon & assumed it must have been necessary. I didn't get any brochures (even after asking for one) nor any info on the possible risks. Had I have gone ahead if I was adequately advised with risks? Who knows?! :S I can only worry about the future steps now & have certainly learnt that googling & other research, along with a million que's is the only way to go! As for the other procedures - most of them were done while I was in hospital & I was desperate for results & to decrease pain, so I probably wasn't in the best frame of mind to make sound judgement. I was on 100mg of pethadene (allergic to morphine) every 2hrs & even that was not enough to allow me to move, so I was happy for them to do anything to me! I have & still do ask them to cut my leg off - but I've been told even then I'd still have phantom pains!

Hi Grappers - I used to have dual leads for my machine, but I was not getting adequate intensity to relieve the pain so I ended up arching my back continuously to achieve more from the stim which ended up causing me more back pain :( I have a paddle in my spine & a lead running directly to the s1 nerve which has given me much better relief!! I hope you find the machine useful! I understand the back spasms & I also have issues with my knee giving way but I'm doing more stabilising exercises with the knee muscles now, hopefully they help me in the long run.

Thank you all again & I will jump on here later, my work welfare man has arrived!

Peripheral neuropathy/CRPS/Chronic pain

Keep ticking off the attainable by focussing on the 'Can' rather than the 'Can not' in your day.

It is what it is, tomorrow's a brand new day.

More
5 years 5 months ago #14520 by Wendles
Wendles replied the topic: Introduce Yourself Here.....
Welcome Punk265
Your story brought tears to my eyes, you have been through so much but even with that you seem to be dealing with it with a smile and a hope for the future. I am pleased that you have such a wonderful team helping you in you journey. What made the most impression on me was your the role horses had in your life as my life has been around them and thus my injuries too, (fractured L2, neck damage and crushed arm). Now I am on the sidelines while I watch my husband and others ride (I am banded :) )remembering the days when I could be up there. I hope that your journey leads you through smooth roads and along picturesque lanes.
Look for the smiles along the way :)

Wendles

There is always a SMILE
in your day,
you just need to find it!

More
5 years 5 months ago #14533 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: Introduce Yourself Here.....
Welcome Sassy and Punk265.

I hope you find support and like minded people here. I think half the battle is finding people who 'get' what you're going through.

Best wishes,
Fee

More
5 years 5 months ago #14670 by illeatyu
illeatyu replied the topic: Introduce Yourself Here.....
Hi

My name is Ricky, Where do I start, about 20 years ago I had a slipped disk, had a per cutaneous discectamy can't spell. It went wrong and I ended up in bed for three months with my legs not working. Got better, over the next few years It got better then worse, the last 10 years or so it has progressively gotten worse.

I started on Oxy and Diazepam over a few years the pain got worse and I ended up on 40oxy twice a day and 5 diazepam four or five times a day. I was taking panadeine forte on top of the oxy and ended up in hospital from a full blockage of my bowel, got depressed tried to kill my self, was put on dothep 75mg twice a day and swapped to endone for break through.

I now have no disk at l5/s1 referred pain in both legs, no feeling in my heals, burning in my feet, lower back pain, shoulder cramps and spasms, I've had two bilateral facet joint blocks with cortisone, the first one was great got off the drugs for 11 months, this one not so good but managed to reduce the oxy to 10mg, and I'm off the diazepam got hand tremors.

Now I'm trialling Lyrica thanks to the forum, ill keep you updated.

“All the elements in your body were forged many, many millions of years ago, in the heart of a far away star that exploded and died. That explosion scattered those elements across the desolations of deep space. And came together to form you, you are unique in the universe.

• Peter
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
5 years 5 months ago #14674 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Introduce Yourself Here.....
Hi Ricky,

Thanks for posting your story in here. It has been a very rough road for you, with several very highs and very lows.

Ricky, you should look back on the day of your attempted suicide with pride. That was a day of reckoning and you survived it. You are a survivor who is now so much stronger than then. Pat yourself on the back and know that you are only one of many hundreds if not thousands of people who stand on the edge of the abyss, look over into oblivion, but then survive that moment.

It is great to hear you have had some relief and being able to reduce your medication levels. And yes, we will be waiting patiently to hear from you as to how you get on with the Lyrica.

Just one bit of advice Ricky, please, please, please, don't let your doctor up your levels of Lyrica too quickly. Wait until any side-effects go away before upping it. The doctors don't know, because they don't take the drugs.
Too many people get loaded up with huge doses of drugs, especially Lyrica and they suffer terrible side-effects, especially hallucinations. I never did, although while I was getting use to it, I was getting very vivid dreams for a while, then they went away. Take it slowly and steadily and don't be in any rush to increase the dose, especially if you are having some pretty acceptable pain relief. And remember, you will never be without your pain, so don't go looking for 100%, because it will never happen..

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150