Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

new

• bekj
  • bekj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12635 by bekj
bekj created the topic: new
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I have suffered chronic back pain for Atleast 20 years having lots kf physio etc I have intolerance to many medications. So have suffered in silence for years. Every now and then I have an accident triggering an episode of disability. I changed course and went to a chiro. What be found was devastating to me.I am 38 and have been now diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my neck severe spinal stenosis. Narrowed canals from three discs. Muscle fibrosis my hip has dropped significantly and the list goes on. Can anyone offer recommendations on what I should do ?? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #12637 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: new
Welcome Bekj,

You have come to the right place for empathy and support. I don't have experience in your particular condition, but the thing we all have in common on this forum is that chronic pain has affected our lives. There will no doubt be others who respond to your post who have a similar condition and may be able to give some suggestions.

Have you been to a multi-disciplinary pain management clinic? They usually have a team of a pain physician, physio and psychologist who can teach you about how chronic pain affects the central nervous system and ways to help manage that as well as techniques to cope with living with chronic pain.

Again, welcome :-)

Fee
The following user(s) said Thank You: bekj

More
5 years 5 months ago #12639 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: new
Welcome bekj,

As Fee has said, you have come to the right place for help and support. We can't offer you a cure unfortunately, but we can help you to get on the track of managing your pain.

One of the worst things with pain is fear. Your chiropractor should really know this because what he has told you is enough to put a lot of fear into anyone. I can tell you this from personal experience because I had a doctor who told me that I needed "urgent neck surgery" and "don't bring your xrays in again because they scare me". Well, I was so petrified that my pain levels soared. Fear and stress will do that with chronic pain. i didn't need surgery at all either.

What your chiropractor didn't tell you is that there are millions of people in the world with xrays that look just like yours but they have little or no pain. No one knows why some of us end up with chronic pain and others don't.

If you haven't already been seen by a neurosurgeon or an orthopaedic spinal surgeon or a neurologist, it may be worth doing. I somehow feel that you may have already done that and that is why you decided to see the chiropractor.

When you have chronic pain, your central nervous system gives off all sorts of signals that produce a lot of extra pain that is not necessarily a signal that something is wrong. The best way to manage al this is to learn the strategies that a pain clinic can teach you. Are you on any medications?

Perhaps the best thing to do is to book a double appointment with your GP and see what course to take. You could enquire as to whether there is a pain clinic nearby at the same time.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

• Peter
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
5 years 5 months ago #12642 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: new
Hi Bekj,

Welcome to the forum. You will find it a great place to get support from people who like you live with chronic pain and have few places or people to turn to.

Can I please ask, who it was that diagnosed all those symptoms and damage done to your body?

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #12643 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: new
Hi and welcome bekj, being confronted with a diagnoses like that straight of the bat would frighten anyone, as you have said you have lived in silence for years and somehow managed to cope. Having this Chiro give you this bad news in one hit has caused you a whole lot of worry, this has now got you thinking about your injuries and know that is a bad thing in itself, once you start to focus on your injuries the pain levels increase, then frustration and anger come into play, depression and before you know it you are stuck in this viscous cycle.
Take Fee's and Mary's advice and seek some help that is close to you, a good multi-disciplinary pain management support behind you will have the best outcome any of of could wish for.

Again welcome and I look forward to taliking more

Don

More
5 years 5 months ago #12663 by Outlast
Outlast replied the topic: new
Thanks for asking that question Peter. It was the most glaring thing i noticed.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153