Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Published articles by CPA Board members.

• Mary
  • Mary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #13249 by Mary
Mary created the topic: Published articles by CPA Board members.
Two of our Board Members here at CPA have had articles published recently.

The first is by Hayley Cafarella and it is in the Australian Women's Weekly Health Magazine. This is a separate magazine from the Australian Women's Weekly. You can buy it at newsagents. Hayley has CRPS and the article is titled; “When Pain Takes Over Your Life” (p.90).

The second article is by Tracey Croke and she speaks of her experience of living with ankylosing spondylitis.

www.lifescript.com/health/centers/arthri...top_tracy_croke.aspx

These articles are two more steps in raising awareness of chronic pain.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter, BIY, di

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mrs Shingles
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago #13250 by Mrs Shingles
Mrs Shingles replied the topic: Published articles by CPA Board members.
Wow, thanks for the links Mary, Tracey Croke is an amazing role model for those with chronic pain.

More
5 years 4 months ago #13286 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: Published articles by CPA Board members.
I just read Tracey's article.. thanks Mary for posting the link of such an inspiring woman.

The thing that I picked out most from her article (apart from setting achievable goals as we learn in pain management) was the bit she said about how we 'think' about our condition.

Workcover is such a flawed system because it keeps people focused on their illness and symptoms and all the relentless medical examinations and questions mean that the focus stays firmly fixed on our symptoms and illness. Imagine going into an independent medical examination and saying "I'm living well with it"? It made me think that not only does our medical system need an overhaul re CP, but so also does our workcover system to take it out of the litigious realm.

I love how Tracey looks at the holistic approach of diet, exercise, physio and destressing.

Overall really inspirational.

Thanks Mary.

:-) Fee

• Mary
  • Mary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #13290 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Published articles by CPA Board members.
You are SO right Fee. It has been reported in the literature that Workcover patients often struggle more than others with pain management. It is not surprising at all when it is so in your face all the time. It is relentless; and they wonder why people struggle so much!

I found that there was a subtle shift in focus at some stage during my pain management treatment. It was a bit ad hoc because I had to source it myself, but I got lucky with one dr. who recognized what I needed and made sure that I got it by referring me to the appropriate people.

It is very hard for Workcover people to obtain that shift in focus. I guess it gets easier after the court case etc. I hope it does for you and all the other people who are in the same place as you are now.

I would say that my mantra would be the same as Tracey's - "I'm living well with it". I have more limitations than her, but I think I do most things that I want to. I often suffer for it, but it doesn't seem to matter as much any more. I still get scared sometimes too, but it doesn't consume me like it used to.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIY

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153