Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Withdrawing from Norspan

• Retread
  • Retread's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
5 years 1 month ago #15637 by Retread
Retread created the topic: Withdrawing from Norspan
Hi Everyone, i have just joined this group, I wish I had found it sooner.
For the last 20 years I have struggled with extreme Fibromyalgia, which seems to be a name that medico's use when they don't have a clue what the problem is, but I may be wrong.
During this time I have been prescribed just about every pill that has been on the market, with little or no, long term benefit.
Norspan has been the most effective, but after 4 years, and increases up to 30micro grams, it is now only good for a couple of days.
My GP has recommended that I try Targin, has anybody had an success with this one?
I have had to go off the Norspan for a week of washout, but this hell. I can take Panadiene Forte, but this isn't helping much.
Apart from my pain levels going through the roof (expected), I am absolutely exhausted, is this the usual withdrawal road?
Any advice that can help me attain some quality of life in the long term would be greatly appreciated. After 20 years I am at my wits end.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #15638 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Withdrawing from Norspan
Retread you mean they have made you go cold turkey, if so then withdrawals is not going to be very pleasant, ideally it should of been gradually lowered over a period of months so your body can adjust. have they tried anything like Lyrica yet, there are a few on this site with the same condition and find it works for them. Are you being managed by a pain clinic or just your GP, also have you been recommended to do a pain management course, I think you will find in some of the threads what peoples experience with Targin is if not I am sure some one on this forum will be able to answer your questions.
Anyway welcome to the forum, if nothing else you will get a lot of support, empathy and understanding and in the world of chronic pain it means the world.

Don

• Retread
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
5 years 1 month ago #15639 by Retread
Retread replied the topic: Withdrawing from Norspan
Thanks Don,
I guess it's just another bump on the road. I did attend a Pain Management Clinic a few years ago, their physio has helped, but the meds turned me into a zombie. It seems impossible to find a balance that will give me some quality of life.
I have had to retire from running a business that I really enjoyed (fortunately my Son took it over, so it is still in the family). But I now live (if you can call it that) pretty well as a hermit. Sorry for the whinge, I hate whingers so that's all I'll say on that.
I will look forward to this withdrawal running it's course.
Thanks again

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #15641 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Withdrawing from Norspan
Retread it's not called whinging on this site, venting is a better term and it is good to get it off your chest, no one else will listen and understand, we all know have been and still struggle every day, here we get a bit of sanity and make sense of our conditions. The drug merry go round can be a nightmare for a few of us if like me, nothing out there can be taken because of severe side effects, but you still try all they recommend trying to find one that will make life a little bearable.
Work has been taken away from me also, it took years to come to terms of not providing for my family and rely solely on the disabled pension to survive. Have you ever thought about joining the men sheds, you don't have to participate in any activity some just go for the company and believe it or not you are not judged, it is a good way to get that male company we miss.

Don

More
5 years 1 month ago #15642 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Withdrawing from Norspan
Hi Retread and welcome,

There are studies that have shown that Lyrica can often help with Fibromyalgia. It can be a bit hard to get used to, so it is a good idea to start on a really low dose. It has just come on to the PBS so any doctor can prescribe it. I take it, but I don't have Fibromyalgia. I have neuropathic pain in my spine which radiates to my whole body at times.

Don's idea of the Men's Shed is good. I have a cousin who attends one in a wheelchair and he finds the company great. Even if you just drop in for a coffee.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
The following user(s) said Thank You: Retread

• Retread
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
5 years 1 month ago #15648 by Retread
Retread replied the topic: Withdrawing from Norspan
Thanks to all,
I should add that I am a VET, had a run in with PTSD, its under control now, but have have been dealing with Sleep Deprivation for about 30 years. I think this is where the Polymialgia stems from.
I am now on a TPI pension, I guess I should have put all of this in my Profile?

I joined a shed about 12 months ago, it was great, but I do have difficulty fitting in to groups.
I set up a wood workshop at home, and found that enjoyable, however by the time I had my workshop set up, I developed lumps on the tendons of both hands, (Trigger Finger) more pain and limited movement, so no more Shed, or workshop, aint life grand.
I have had one hand operated on, but it is taking so long to heal, I doubt if I will have the other one done. Apart from that I have had 2 other major surgeries in the last 6 years that haven't been completely successful.
I am now looking at having a hip replacement in the next 2-3 months.

I know there are better days ahead, but right now it is hard to stay positive, it has been one thing after
another.
As you know people quickly "turn off", to folk with chronic pain, so I have just withdrawn from the world. I feel for my wife having her lifestyle shot down, but I have managed to encourage her into joining the SES, and at least she is getting out more, and getting on with life. Sorry for the ramble, but right now it is good just to get it out.

Thank you for the opportunity to VENT.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153