Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Venting

• Johnno
  • Johnno's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #16079 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Venting
Hi all thank you for caring I find it easier to talk to you guys on line than load my burden on my wife I suppose I should but I was on my own on Wednesday and I suppose it hit me all of a sudden and I just went down , I called my psychologist in tears and made a fool of myself on her message bank .
I went to acupuncture and bawled my eyes out to Henri he basically is a great doctor as well as acupuncturist and he is very caring he told me to try not to hide my pain which most men try to and some can successfully do it .
He told me to send a message to my solicitor from the heart so they know where the hell I am .
Well I have and am waiting for a reply so will keep all posted
I do appreciate all of you and am glad to be to blather on and know that there is someone who I can share the load with
There is a saying I think a problem shared is a problem halved in our case thank to all it become almost invisible

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #16080 by Retread
Retread replied the topic: Venting
Hi Johno, I am sure your psychologist wont think you made a fool of yourself, I think it great that you are able to release yourself as you have, it is far better than bottling it up, and toughing it out. Iin fact I am quiet envious, I wish that I could just let it out, but I fear that if I did I would never be able to stop, so much for military training.

However this group has been the best thing that has ever happened to me, for the first time in my life, I no longer feel alone, and you now have a group of caring people that have actually experienced what you are going through, and when they speak it is with understanding, and genuine heartfelt feeling for you.

Whenever you feel it is getting on top of you, get on to this forum and let us all know about it. As you say "a problem shared is halved, or better".

All the Best my friend, and keep in touch

Retread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnno

• Johnno
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #16081 by Johnno
Retread
I also am ex military and we had it instilled in us at medical take two panadols and get back to work.
I have passed that on to my sons who still don't chuck a sickie
Honestly the military was good in that we have respect for our bosses and do the best we can for them but we have to learn to put our hand up and say help I hurt
Johnno

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #16083 by Retread
Johnno, Had some good times, but the medico's only took an interest when they were tying a tag on toe. I guess it toughened us up to do the job we had to do, but the reality of it is we aren't machines, and we need to look out for ourselves and be open to ask for, and receive help.

I don't know if you have contacted the Veterans' and Veterans' Family Counselling Service (VVCS)
www.vvaa.org.au/vvcs.htm

If you haven't it would be worthwhile getting in touch with them, their services are available for ALL ex-service
personal, and you don't have to served in a combat role. They have some excellent free courses and counseling available, they put me in touch with a psychologist, who helped me greatly with my PTSD issues.

The road ahead will get easier, but when you hit a pothole, please get in touch.

All the Best
Retread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnno

• Johnno
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #16085 by Johnno
Thanks for the offer and will do

Johnno

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #16092 by Retread
Johnno, check these links, you will find that these services are available for ALL ex-serviceman.

www.dva.gov.au/eligibilityandclaims/whoi...ble/Pages/index.aspx
www.dva.gov.au/health_and_wellbeing/heal...vcs/Pages/index.aspx

You will find Some interesting info under health and Well being.

I have to thank you again, if you hadn't told me that you were ex-military I wouldn't have given this organisation another thought. It used to be the Vietnam Veterans Counseling Service, but there was a split in 1995, and my name dropped off their mail out list (along with many others). Thanks to toxic drug cocktails my memory has some major holes, and I never gave VVCS another thought til recently, when Eliza mentioned a Rehab unit (St John of God) THANK YOU ELIZA -- and now you have prompted me to check it out again.
I will be getting back in touch with VVCS myself.

Also check out your local TPI Association, and RSL, ask to be put in touch with a pensions officer, and you will find that you will be eligible for help there as well. Most ex-service will have developed tinnitus, as a result of weapon fire, even if it was only on the range, and you will probably find that you have some hearing loss as well, that you probably haven't realised. My wife used to tell me I had "Selective Hearing" :-), and often complained that I hadn't heard her. She was right, and I now have DVA funded hearing aids.

If you talk to one of the pension officers (RSL), they will advise you. Military training, and life, will have had a lot of detrimental effects on your outlook, and behavior, that you aren't even aware of :-

"I also am ex military and we had it instilled in us at medical take two panadols and get back to work.
I have passed that on to my sons who still don't chuck a sickie"

VVCS have several courses and workshops, that you can attend (some with your partner), that will help incredibly.
Hope this helps, and that you have a peaceful evening.

All the Best
Retread
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eliza, Johnno

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153