Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Venting

More
1 year 4 days ago #27658 by Mango
Mango replied the topic: Venting
WTC, I am so happy for you. Here's to continued healing.
Mango xx

"It's time to play the game" HHH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wildturkeycanoe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 4 days ago #27659 by wildturkeycanoe
wildturkeycanoe replied the topic: Venting
Thanks everyone for the good wishes. It is great to have made the transition from chronic to acute pain. It is going to be a long road to recovery but it is better to take this slow incline a step at a time than be stuck motionless at the bottom of the hill. How's that for an analogy?
I am now collating my experience, my thoughts and my growing desires to take this battle to the government. We need somebody to challenge the "system" and to get all that public money out there which is tied up in shares and investments to benefit the government and big business, release that money into our health system to tackle this epidemic. While people are in pain, they can't function and contribute to society. If we just have a go at treating the cause of their pain straight away instead of letting it grow into a lecherous, life sucking tumour over may years of "wait and see" or "conventional therapies", there would be a boost to the economy and a release of the pressures on our pain treatment facilities. Early intervention is not something doctors, insurance companies nor the government seem to have any interest in doing. For them it is about covering up the problem with narcotics or simply telling victims to put up with it and it might go away. Sometimes it might go away and those people are lucky, but more often than not they are forced to keep pushing their bodies despite the pain, because there are no opportunities to give it time to heal, thanks to inadequate sickness benefits or folks being simply too poor to take time off. Not only that, but most cannot afford the treatment they need and don't have things like private health insurance, income protection insurance or an accepted worker's compensation claim. In some cases such as my own and others I have been talking with on forums, even the legal protection afforded to all workers in Australia, can not be forced to finance the services it is supposed to pay for.
Too poor to get better, that is how low this country's citizenry has fallen. Wether through accident, disease, age or other mishap, our comrades are fighting battles to heal their bodies, but also burdened by the fight simply to survive without financial support. Once they are stuck in that hole, there is nobody that can help. They are running the same race as the rest of society but with both feet or hands bound. How can they succeed? How can the rest of us stand idly by, ignore them or classify them as whinger who just doesn't want to work? Less condemnation and labelling, more understanding and action. That is what I am going to start fighting for. Worker's compensation victims, people with chronic conditions, simply anybody who is being stepped all over by the government and their insurance buddies. I am going to become a voice for the thousands upon thousands who haven't got the strength to do anything themselves.
While I am in recovery I'm going to start browsing for petitions, searching for avenues that take my words to the ears of people who matter, who will forward my ideas to the top. I hope I don't lose interest in this, the fire is burning wildly right now. Maybe my next career is going to be in politics, as there is about the only place we can make a difference. For the people, not for myself. That is going to be my motivation. Wish me luck friends and I hope you can hang in there till we get these injustices righted. Pain free future!

More
1 year 3 days ago #27661 by Harpy
Harpy replied the topic: Venting
WTC,
Go you, if you got the drive like that I just read , got for it get into the politics , I hope once you have recovered fully from your surgery and all goes great .
Go get the petition going I will sign it right away . Be good to hear how it all goes , who know you maybe the one to help us get what where entitled to, like my income protection , having to wait five years is just rediculas.
We guttered our house before my car accident 6 years ago and with no second income we still today we have no floor covering, some walls are gyprocked ( so just have beams and outside fibro) haven't had a kitchen since , just a sink on the verandah to wash up in. We cook by fry pan , microwave and BBQ.
We can't afford to do anything to it, let alone cover bills. I have a mobile , no computer, iPad home phone or any luxury items here. Oh but on the up side we got a Telly , lol,
But in 12 months when I finally get that income protection we can start to save and get the work done to have a home again and not live in a shell.
Sorry but the system sucks and no wonder that the easy way out really seems easy,
Harpy

• Johnno
  • Johnno's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #27683 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Venting
WTC,
So finally you are acute person let's hope that you recover well
Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

• Johnno
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #27684 by Johnno
I was watching channel 7 news the other night and apparently there is a magic cure for chronic/persistent pain well I saw bloody red,green and purple once I calmed down I decided to write a message and send it along with the letter which I believe most of you would have seen.
I have received no reply so far
And no guide as to what the cure is

Johnno

Hi ,
I went to a pain conference at a hospital here in Brisbane I was shocked ,dismayed and bloody angry when learned (supposedly) doctors,Physiotherapists ,psychologists and exercise physiologists could stand in front of a large audience of more learned doctors and were able discuss networking with other doctors to work on how to fix or repair chronic/persistent pain.
They also noted that they had groups who were closely working together with people who live with chronic/persistent pain, out of a group of 14 (FOURTEEN) one of that team was a person who new what it was like to live day in day out in pain.
Another learned person a number cruncher talked about opioids how the use/dosages had gone from 22,000,000 doses a year in 2005 to 104,000,000 doses in 2015 and she explained that there was a lot of work going on to reduce this widespread over dosing.
I dared question these comments and asked them that instead of networking to receive more funding from the government pie then do absolutely nothing to tackle this problem and talking to those who are suffering , I asked why there weren't more people who are pain sufferers (chronic/persistent) or otherwise on these boards or committees who could possibly help these learned persons understand and then work on ways to help.
Then I discussed opioid medication and questioned the logic behind removing opioid medication sure the use had increased but perhaps if these people had checked they may have found out that a majority of these cases were (Drs actually finding something that bloody well worked).
There was more discussed at this conference than these three subjects but these were the ones I questioned.
And yes I am a pain sufferer and yes I was on opioids to help me go to sleep as I suffer severe post herpatic neuralgia down both legs (more so in my right leg) this nerve pain is like the worst sunburn you have ever had and it's with you every day (like the black dog) it starts at the hip and gradually works down to encompass everything down to the toes.
This nerve pain rears its ugly head every day generally two hours after waking up I take 300mg Lyrica twice a day to hold this in check but at nights the pain is hitting 10s plus , I was having opioids to help me get to sleep but these bloody minded number crunching bas$&rds are removing this medication and by doing so are putting pain sufferers in a bad place.
I have attached the below a letter which I believe all practitioners of medicine should take time to read and realise that not all pain is cognitive or otherwise we the sufferers are pleading for help the black dog is biting and a lot of people who are suffering are losing the fight , PTSD is also a form of pain and we are losing a lot of military men to this chronic form of pain I think the last count was in the 70s this year so far.
So can these learned practitioners instead of trying to teach people that they are wrong to be suffering pain they could start to listen and help once they get some idea of what we go through daily.

Many Regards

• Johnno
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #27685 by Johnno
I was watching channel 7 news the other night and apparently there is a magic cure for chronic/persistent pain well I saw bloody red,green and purple once I calmed down I decided to write a message and send it along with the letter which I believe most of you would have seen.
I have received no reply so far
And no guide as to what the cure is

Johnno

Hi ,
I went to a pain conference at a hospital here in Brisbane I was shocked ,dismayed and bloody angry when learned (supposedly) doctors,Physiotherapists ,psychologists and exercise physiologists could stand in front of a large audience of more learned doctors and were able discuss networking with other doctors to work on how to fix or repair chronic/persistent pain.
They also noted that they had groups who were closely working together with people who live with chronic/persistent pain, out of a group of 14 (FOURTEEN) one of that team was a person who new what it was like to live day in day out in pain.
Another learned person a number cruncher talked about opioids how the use/dosages had gone from 22,000,000 doses a year in 2005 to 104,000,000 doses in 2015 and she explained that there was a lot of work going on to reduce this widespread over dosing.
I dared question these comments and asked them that instead of networking to receive more funding from the government pie then do absolutely nothing to tackle this problem and talking to those who are suffering , I asked why there weren't more people who are pain sufferers (chronic/persistent) or otherwise on these boards or committees who could possibly help these learned persons understand and then work on ways to help.
Then I discussed opioid medication and questioned the logic behind removing opioid medication sure the use had increased but perhaps if these people had checked they may have found out that a majority of these cases were (Drs actually finding something that bloody well worked).
There was more discussed at this conference than these three subjects but these were the ones I questioned.
And yes I am a pain sufferer and yes I was on opioids to help me go to sleep as I suffer severe post herpatic neuralgia down both legs (more so in my right leg) this nerve pain is like the worst sunburn you have ever had and it's with you every day (like the black dog) it starts at the hip and gradually works down to encompass everything down to the toes.
This nerve pain rears its ugly head every day generally two hours after waking up I take 300mg Lyrica twice a day to hold this in check but at nights the pain is hitting 10s plus , I was having opioids to help me get to sleep but these bloody minded number crunching bas$&rds are removing this medication and by doing so are putting pain sufferers in a bad place.
I have attached the below a letter which I believe all practitioners of medicine should take time to read and realise that not all pain is cognitive or otherwise we the sufferers are pleading for help the black dog is biting and a lot of people who are suffering are losing the fight , PTSD is also a form of pain and we are losing a lot of military men to this chronic form of pain I think the last count was in the 70s this year so far.
So can these learned practitioners instead of trying to teach people that they are wrong to be suffering pain they could start to listen and help once they get some idea of what we go through daily.

Many Regards

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153