Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #16400 by Retread
Retread replied the topic: Venting
Hi peppa, Eliza, Thank you both for your concern, I adhere to the old principal "Any Port in a Storm", ;) and tonight the wind is fairly raging, the bit of a stumble has managed to aggravate the hip, and everything else, so I have poured a wee bit of a tipple. There was a time when I would have just grabbed the bottle, but not sure how the new meds would handle that so I am just limiting myself to one pleasant little drop :blink: .

As much as I complain about all the hassles leading up to this procedure, I do appreciate how thorough and professional it has all been. About 6 years ago I had a major op at the "Club Med Resort" that I am booked into, and I was really happy with the experience, all of the staff went out of their way to make the experience as pleasant as possible, they are a really caring bunch.
When the doctor was planning the op I had a choice of two hospitals and as luck would have it, I had also had a major op at the second one as well. It was a nightmare of an experience from day one, it is amazing that two hospitals can be so far apart in the way they treat people, I guess it boils down to the management structure.

Onlly 12 days to go, but who's counting :whistle:

Peppa I see that you are also burning the midnight oil, hope you are OK, and not having too bad a night of it

All the Best
p.s. Just had a thought, you could say that I am going to be retreaded again lol.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Retread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peppa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Johnno
  • Johnno's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
4 years 9 months ago #16401 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Venting
Good luck Retread

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse
The following user(s) said Thank You: Retread

4 years 9 months ago #16402 by Retread
Hi Johno, good to hear from you, hope you had a good night, how are pain levels?

4 years 9 months ago #16409 by peppa
peppa replied the topic: Venting
Hi retread, Eliiza, johnno and everyone else on the forum, its peppa here,

its lovely to be able to touch base with you again!
and i
hope your night was okay, after your big day yesterday- how did you pull up?

you,ve brought up an interesting point when you mentioned hospitals and the difference in care that you,ve been exposed to!

Please Note
I,m not bagging the medical profession, hospitals, nurses or anyone else!

At a personal level and through observation,
i too, am amazed at the differences between hospitals and the level of treatment provided these days!

i strongly agree, that it does depend on management being aware of how things are being conducted in the hospital itself, in order to to ensure; that standards of care; are being met!

there is another aspect to this as well

i was trained as a Nurse (heaps of years ago now- dark ages stuff ) -Lol
there was a sense of pride in the fact that you got through your training, which was pretty tough
and then later
when i got my degree at uni, to practice in my prefered specialiity of Nursing, you also ,
had standards ( and still do);
that you adhered to - especially in client/patient care.

somehow, i think that at some level this has been lost or misdirected these days and sadly; i,m not sure why.

Eliza ,
i know i haven,t t spoken to you before, but its lovely meeting you on the forum as well!

retread, Eliza, johnno
i hope that your day is as good as it can be and i wish everyone else, a pain-free day!

speak to you all again

warmest regards peppa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Retread

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
4 years 9 months ago #16410 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Venting
One way that the level of pride, professionalism and actual 'empathy' has gotten lost, is because Nurses are no longer trained 'in-house.' Back in the old days of teaching hospitals, most of them had live-in nursing students who lived and breathed Nursing. Those who couldn't cut the mustard were weeded out and those that were going to survive, got through.
And the head honcho was usually the Matron!

Today, they leave school, go to university and come out the other side fully qualified and many of them are sterile. They have little to no empathy for their patients and also, I am astounded at the lack of personal and clinical hygiene with nurses today.

When I was young and visiting older people in hospital many years ago, the nurses were very particular about hygiene, especially if they were doing dressings.
Today, I see them walk through your ward scratching their uncovered heads and rubbing their noses, then they pull on gloves (contaminating them at the same time) and proceed to do your dressing. Some of them completely open the packs with their contaminated hands, then pull on the gloves last. No wonder many people end up with Staph infections from the hospitals!

I have been in public hospitals and private hospitals and I see the same in each, but the public hospitals are definitely a lot worse.
And many of the doctors are the same. Can't stop touching themselves, prior to tending to the patient.

This is one of the major reasons why there are super bugs in hospitals that they cannot get rid of and why so many people leave these hospitals with seriously bad Staph infections that take a long time to get rid of and they have to swallow large amounts of dangerous anti-biotics too.

I know a bit about hygiene. For the time I was working, I was a food processing hygiene expert. I use to be in charge of making sure food processing plants were virtually sterile prior to each days production and I can tell you that the floor of these factories, would have been much cleaner and safer than any hospital ward or theatre. Knowing how the staff lack proper hygiene discipline, all I can say is that they will never over come the super bug problem on a long term basis.

Answer this question. How come for more than a hundred years the scrubbing and cleaning of every single surface from a persons hands to the floor they walk on, plus no one touched themselves when working with a patient, kept hospitals safe.
But today, they do minimal cleaning, because the cleaning staff are very few and not employed by the hospital and the contractor has the budget cut to the bone, and the nursing staff and doctors rely on bug killing jell in a bottle in the doorways of each room, but take little personal care hygiene wise, and here we have hospitals all over the country infected with super bugs?

Just one thing I have always been amused by also. You know the taps in the hospitals and theatres where the staff use their elbows to turn them on and off? Well, they were banned for use in an export abattoir and never used. Everything is seen as a 'contact surface' which includes your arms. And, bacteria do move from place to place very easily.
They were using foot operated taps more than 60 years ago. And I remember them introducing Infra-red taps back in the 1980s, but yet in hospitals, they persisted with taps that are clearly hygienically dangerous.

If they ever want to know how to kill the super bugs in the hospitals, they should go to an export meat works and ask the experts who deal with dangerous pathogens on a daily basis.

Sorry for the ramblings people. I just felt like putting some thoughts down after Peppa got me thinking.

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)
The following user(s) said Thank You: peppa, Retread

4 years 9 months ago #16413 by Retread
Hi Peppa, everyone, thank you for your thoughts, I am having a "bugger' of a day, yesterday was a bit too much. When it gets to this leve I am a bit like an "Old Mongrel Dog" that just wants to hide under the house :-), so I am just taking my pills and "waiting for the bus", this too shall pass.
Very little sleep for the past few days, but I think I might be ready for a few ZZZZ's, I will get back onto the forum later today

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153

Contact us