Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Spinal cord stimulator

• bluerob
  • bluerob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
2 years 9 months ago #24090 by bluerob
bluerob replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator
Don

Mate, thanks heaps for your detailed response.

This is a brand new invention, I've been told, so it is hard to research the efficacy of this "machine."

My neurosurgeon has encouraged me to give it a go and a few others that I have spoken to have said "what have you got to lose," so, I shall give it a go.

Thanks again for all the replies. I greatly appreciate it. Typing when you're sore ain't fun.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #24092 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator
Hi Bluerob,
That is the same conclusion I made when it came to the trial, being not very invasive surgery wise, I thought why not give it a go, I had nothing to lose, and more to gain if it proved to work, and work it did, so didn't hesitate to get the final implant, my gripe is the length of time between the trial and the final implant, if I was a private patient it would have been 8 weeks, being a public patient I was at the mercy of funding and limitations of the number of implants performed a year, I kept hounding them for a time, it still took 12 months from the trial.

I was talking to my surgeon the other day at our recent appointment, we got onto the subject on the new stimulators in the pipeline, going by what he was saying they are getting more advanced in targeting pain, new ones are going to be fully programmable by the user through an app on their phones, using bluetooth technology, there are even looking at having ones that require no battery to be implanted, the way these are progressing it looks like this may be the future for long term pain sufferers, instead of relying on drugs, a lot of research is being done.

Don

• bluerob
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
2 years 9 months ago #24093 by bluerob

grappers wrote: Hi Bluerob,
That is the same conclusion I made when it came to the trial, being not very invasive surgery wise, I thought why not give it a go, I had nothing to lose, and more to gain if it proved to work, and work it did, so didn't hesitate to get the final implant, my gripe is the length of time between the trial and the final implant, if I was a private patient it would have been 8 weeks, being a public patient I was at the mercy of funding and limitations of the number of implants performed a year, I kept hounding them for a time, it still took 12 months from the trial.

I was talking to my surgeon the other day at our recent appointment, we got onto the subject on the new stimulators in the pipeline, going by what he was saying they are getting more advanced in targeting pain, new ones are going to be fully programmable by the user through an app on their phones, using bluetooth technology, there are even looking at having ones that require no battery to be implanted, the way these are progressing it looks like this may be the future for long term pain sufferers, instead of relying on drugs, a lot of research is being done.

Don

Again, many thanks for the message.

I am getting slightly excited by this, as they are talking a pain reduction of 75%.
'
If this happens to me, my new life gets accelerated like a rocket.

More
2 years 8 months ago #24146 by canoebwca88
canoebwca88 replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator
Bluerob, sorry I didn't have a chance to get right back, when I had my trial installed it was Medtronics device and I had one of their top Medtronics execs install, and program the device as well as go through a complete detailed plan and what to expect as its simple to use but like you I had huge expectations and was so hopeful for positive results and excited as well for results to be in my favor, but as you know from my earlier post it was not a success, but I hope n pray for good results for you, for you may be one of the few lucky ones, also like you and others my surgeon also said this is all they had left they felt to try and like many of you said what do I have to lose, and as the Medtronics exec also explained that it works mostly for people with pain down their leg or legs, as I was explaining to you my pain seems to be much like yours a chronic never ending pain in my low back , as they told me that they had a few that it helped with their back pain, we'll my pain is in my low back bad, like yours, and not trying to discourage you but it didn't help me at all as afterwards they said well it was worth a try, n they said they didn't have very few success stories with my issue, but I have to say I have been very fortunate to have a great primary Doctor, he has worked with me and his pharmacist on getting me on the right meds, and I will tell you when taken as I am instructed, I can walk n hike and ride my bike and camp and fish and hunt but obviously not 100% like before but my back isn't in constant pain and I had to adjust how I do everything but I'm happy as can be, because I can go and do things again and I'm not in pain, cuz if this doesn't work for you don't let it discourage you because there are medications available to us with the right Doctor willing to work with you to get you on the right stuff so you can have a functioning life, I have been on the same dose for 2 years, and they still work well, the key is to not take more then you need to, and as time goes by I'm patiently waiting for some new technology to make a breakthrough for people like us and I will be right there to have the procedure done if it works, As we speak they in the works on how to make a 3 or 4 level disc they can install in place of the bad fused disc's in a back with a new designed replacement, I think we're not to far away from some new device to make It into the medical field, one things for sure is i will never lose hope, or give up on new technology, then maybe I can be back to my normal height as I was before these disc's went and my bottom one was all but gone they said and their was arthritis in its place. Feel free to message me directly as well if you want to talk about any other concerns or questions and let me know how your trial goes for you would you, I wish you luck my friend, As I have said before don't think this is it if it's not successful, and remember your not alone. And as grappers wrote on new stimulators making their way I will have to call my rep at Medtronics to see if anything has changed to target mainly the low back and the low back only, if not I will keep searching for new devices out there for my situation, once again Good Luck To You, talk to you soon Rich M.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluerob

• bluerob
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
2 years 8 months ago #24147 by bluerob
Rich

Many thanks for your message.

I'm told that this is a new device that's supposed to be the latest and greatest, like most things thrown at us to try.

I've only been selected for assessment at this point (mis read the paperwork) and have to attend a 100 appointments 1st.

Here's hoping and thanks again.

More
2 years 8 months ago #24148 by canoebwca88
canoebwca88 replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator
Gotcha, we'll I'm gonna have to do some research to check on any latest or New things out there, or since my trial they may have made some progress which is what I'm hoping for on alternative procedures, if the stimulator has changed and there's a newer device and possibly none of that static feeling like I felt
Would be great just something that will disconnect or block the signal to the brain from my low back n there is no pain being registered to that part of the brain would be awesome and if there is nothing yet I honestly don't think it's far down the road before there's a company to invent one so we will have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for some good news, and I guess like you said it wouldn't hurt to go to some meetings or appt, on the topic on the newer devices. Thanks for the heads up and once again Good luck n keep in touch on any new info. Thanks Rich M.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150