Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Positive thinking, your thoughts.

• wildturkeycanoe
  • wildturkeycanoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 10 months ago #26012 by wildturkeycanoe
wildturkeycanoe created the topic: Positive thinking, your thoughts.
As I go through the injury management process, the mind over matter bit has me wondering. If it is as easy as substituting pain with "good things" and things that make you happy, are there folks who have been successful at eliminating CP doing this?
If most of the things that make you happy are not possible due to pain, what else can you do? I also wonder that for someone who is more of a pessimistic personality like myself, is it achievable? I find the whole positive thinking speil a load of psycho babble and difficult to believe, let alone put into practice. My most enjoyable activity (fishing) doesn't do squat for easing the nerve pain, the discomfort actually makes the experience less fun. Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jo.m
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 10 months ago #26017 by jo.m
jo.m replied the topic: Positive thinking, your thoughts.
Hi Wildturkeycanoe,
Makes you think for sure!!!
Me personally I think that 'distraction' definitely has its place but doing things that make you happy are not always possible because as you say they sometimes cause more pain!!! So the answer is to 'change the things that make you happy' to something that you can do :lol:
So its about change and that we have changed (whether we like it or not) and now we can't do the things that 'really' make us happy but finding something that we maybe haven't thought about doing before or that will fit into our lives is what we do! Sometimes even those things are too difficult. In recent months I decided to take on the challenge of 'colouring' its all the craze and my psychologist though it would take my mind off my pain and be relaxing? However, for me personally it had the reverse effect and that was it stressed me out :lol: I couldn't decide on the colours to use and trying to keep in the lines was difficult!!!! So I just got stressed and it was not relaxing at all, so not for me!!!! Find something else was the answer!
I'm not much help, sorry!! But I do keep trying to find distractions as I do think it helps my mind to stay positive and to at least hang on to the hope that one day my pain just won't be there anymore ;) who knows!!
What I do know is that when my mind is stronger I do feel better (not pain free) and I can handle what is thrown at me a little easier!!
Good luck with your quest
Jo :)

"Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow 'til there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say, oh

The sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on
'til tomorrow, come what may!"

Annie - The Movie
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoseCulbertson

More
1 year 10 months ago #26032 by bluerob
bluerob replied the topic: Positive thinking, your thoughts.
I try to "do things" that create a little bit of adrenaline. I can't do much, but, if I get excited about something (like another guitar), the pain does reduce slightly.

From my own experience, I have found that by distracting my mind (yes, it can be done, but, it takes practice) like practicing guitar or reading music will help with PM.

Its important (again, based on my own experience) to try & distract your mind as much as possible. If you think about "it," 'it" can bite you on the bottom.....just be careful with what you do.

I was once an avid scuba diver, but, because of scar tissue, I cannot dive anymore. I found it hard to watch scuba shows or doco's, but, overtime, I started watching again. Now, I dive all over the world, albeit via a large TV screen that is also 3D.

I don't have a wife or kids and live on my own, but, I have a great group of friends and lucky to have great neighbours who help me out too.

You can also discover new "hobbies." I think I have read close to 60 books since my disaster.

When I was a kid (I am now a 48 year old kid....) I loved building those plastic models of ships, planes, cars etc.

Well, I have discovered it again and have found that I ain't too bad at air brush art. I bought a little compressor & a heap of paint and build models or do crazy air brush art. The only problem with this is sitting too long. I get very focused and then struggle to get out of my chair.....

I really hope that you find some peace.

More
1 year 10 months ago #26033 by tequilablue
tequilablue replied the topic: Positive thinking, your thoughts.
My passion was gardening, I loved making new gardens, digging and getting my hands dirty etc. Years ago I dug a fish pond in the backyard about 4' deep, lined it filled it up with plants and fish and put bird wire over the top. Now I'm lucky if I can weed the garden; most of my plants are in pots.
I also tried the colouring in craze hoping it would work for me but the hand therapist nearly had a stroke because of the constant movement and like you Jo I had trouble deciding on colours and types of pens/pencils so I gave them all to my granddaughter. I did think of jigsaws which I used to enjoy but the cats used to like laying all over them, but it might be worth another try. I recently subscribed to Netflix which I am enjoying at the moment. I have just finished watching the 2 seasons of Grace and Frankie which is an American tv series starring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomelin and Martin Sheen. I thought it was great and had a good laugh.

You'll find that life is still worth while if you just smile
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoseCulbertson

• wildturkeycanoe
  • wildturkeycanoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 10 months ago #26035 by wildturkeycanoe
wildturkeycanoe replied the topic: Positive thinking, your thoughts.
Like you bluerob, I used to build a lot of scale model aircraft. I think my collection was just over 100 models, on my bookshelf, hanging from the ceiling etc. Hobbies are great fun and if you can't work, then there is plenty of time for them.
I just started building some little elf houses out of the remains of a tree we had removed from the front yard. I'm splitting branches to make roof pieces, drilling out doors and windows with plans to put solar powered LEDs inside to light them up at night. We have a nice hedge out the front which has a liottle garden bed in front to house my tiny homes. Well, they aren't tiny, about 10-20cm tall. Hopefully when it is finished we will have a mini fantasy village, with stone paths, plants separating the homes and who knows, we may get some frogs or spiders moving in.
The only problem I have so far is my elbows are both killing me from using the drill, secateurs and jig-saw. As usual, I can't pace myself because when I get stuck into something I simply go flat out. If I get told to slow down, I will get frustrated and then I won't be in a good mood for the rest of the day, knowing there is an unfinished project.
Well, at least preparing dinner and getting kids off to soccer training will slow me down for this evening. I'll be back into the second house tomorrow.

More
1 year 10 months ago #26038 by bluerob
bluerob replied the topic: Positive thinking, your thoughts.

wildturkeycanoe wrote: Like you bluerob, I used to build a lot of scale model aircraft. I think my collection was just over 100 models, on my bookshelf, hanging from the ceiling etc. Hobbies are great fun and if you can't work, then there is plenty of time for them.
I just started building some little elf houses out of the remains of a tree we had removed from the front yard. I'm splitting branches to make roof pieces, drilling out doors and windows with plans to put solar powered LEDs inside to light them up at night. We have a nice hedge out the front which has a liottle garden bed in front to house my tiny homes. Well, they aren't tiny, about 10-20cm tall. Hopefully when it is finished we will have a mini fantasy village, with stone paths, plants separating the homes and who knows, we may get some frogs or spiders moving in.
The only problem I have so far is my elbows are both killing me from using the drill, secateurs and jig-saw. As usual, I can't pace myself because when I get stuck into something I simply go flat out. If I get told to slow down, I will get frustrated and then I won't be in a good mood for the rest of the day, knowing there is an unfinished project.
Well, at least preparing dinner and getting kids off to soccer training will slow me down for this evening. I'll be back into the second house tomorrow.

Could you please post a photo of the house that you're making? That sounds TOO cool!! I can imagine that these will become a popular item around Xmas time. You could earn a few extra $$$ building & selling these.

I am waiting on 2 x sheds to be built in my backyard. I've got a 4 bedroom house that currently looks like a fishing/model building/gold detecting (thought I could wander around - nope...) warehouse.

Its almost as though I am re-living my childhood in some respects.... :woohoo:

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153