Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Opioid Prescriptions being stopped in Canberra

• vcubitt
  • vcubitt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 8 months ago #26632 by vcubitt
vcubitt replied the topic: Opioid Prescriptions being stopped in Canberra
Hi Everyone, and thanks for your responses to my initial post. Poor Dave has been going through Hell with the stopping of his opioid medication for pain. Firstly he went through the physical withdrawals and the then the psychological stuff started with manic mood swings and increased depression, all this of course on top of the chronic pain he is suffering.
We have finally had to resort to a solicitor as we exhausted all other avenues of trying to get Chief Health Officer to overturn the decision. Basically, the only way there can be an appeal is if the process by which the Chief Health Officer made the decision can be proven to be incorrect or to have violated a patients Civil rights.The solicitor believe we may have a case for incorrect process but we need all the evidence from Dave's medical records from his GP, Pharmacist, The Pain Management Clinic, The Drug and Alcohol Unit and the Chief Health Officer. The solicitor is in the process of helping us get access to all records needed and then a decision can be made if we have a strong enough case of incorrect process to take the Chief Health Officer to court.
So far we have had to borrow some money from family and friends, but I don't know how we are going to pay for everything, or how much longer it will take.
I will keep you posted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wildturkeycanoe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 8 months ago #26634 by wildturkeycanoe
wildturkeycanoe replied the topic: Opioid Prescriptions being stopped in Canberra
I mentioned this to my GP when I was there the other day and apparently they wouldn't just stop someone cold turkey. The process for getting the CHO approvals is paperwork, such as progress with pain management, making appointments etc, pretty much to show that whatever can be done is being done. It sounds as though you'd have to have neglected or flat out refused to go through with alternative treatments that have been recommended for them to cut you off, but even then they'd go through a slow weaning process to avoid withdrawals. If this isn't the case for Dave [and I believe you when it doesn't sound like it is] something has really gone wrong with the system to let someone go through such suffering. My deepest empathy for you, it has to be horrible and I can't imagine the ordeal.
Hopefully something good will come from this sooner than later. I know the legal system is a joke in terms of getting things done in a timely fashion, with lawyers in general but especially with government department lawyers. They are messing with people's lives and that is just not on.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #26640 by arjay
arjay replied the topic: Opioid Prescriptions being stopped in Canberra
Hello Boadeca-cat :)

Just reading your post the other day about borrowing money from friends and family to get a satisfactory result for a government official to change their mind about their decision affecting us to treatment. I must admit it fills me with dread about where this can lead financially and emotionally.

In my previous life I was CPA for 30 odd years and a lot of that was spent trying to get companies and managers to see the risks and danger of actions that they wanted to take. I hope you dont take offence at my observations but solicitors charge around 300 plusdollars per hour for their services,even 5 minutes is 25 dollars and you would be surprised how quickly it escalate, 1000's dolllars go by very quickly. ie 3 hours.
A friend of mine in a car crash defended himself in court as it was his word against the other person . The judge believed the other person represented by their insurance company. He not only lost the case 28000 dollars and his own legal fees were 10000 dollars. . I know the feeling of being ripped off and want some redress ,but unfortunately the court 's do not always decide on the truth from my experience,but on who has the best legal team and wherewithall to bring the other person to ruin and on there knees.if necessary. Witness the banks shocking actions over recent years as an example.

I hope im not stepping out of line but we are all here to help and care for each other and I feel for your frustration and anger. To go down this path could put Yourself,.Hubby and friends through a potential minefield not only financially but the emotional turmoil can be devastating for someone who has chronic pain, its one of the biggest triggers to increasing the level. Many of the previous posting on this site testify to this.,also the saga other sufferers have gone through trying to get relief from insurance and medical errors by legal means are worth reading.

Taking on a Government official and department with all their resources is a heroic endeavour but the cost may be vastly more than your being advised,even if you have a QC in the family

With the new elections in the ACT perhaps finding a willing member of parliament to assist you or an organization or legal aid could be more cost effective way as usually the only winner in these battles are the solicitors.

Other people may disagree with my thoughts or have other suggestion to get help in Canberra,or alternate methods,treatments etc

I hope you take this long reply from a friend but in the long run its a decision you have to make for yourselves.

Yours in friendship

Arjay/Ron
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by arjay.

• wildturkeycanoe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
1 year 8 months ago #26641 by wildturkeycanoe
wildturkeycanoe replied the topic: Opioid Prescriptions being stopped in Canberra
Something that might help you without costing a wad of cash is petitioning with something like "change.org". Perhaps people power is faster than the legal system. Using this and a bit of political leverage may help, but then again it may not, I get so many of these sent to me on a regular basis I just don't know if they actually do any good. Just a thought anyway.
Cheers!

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #26648 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Opioid Prescriptions being stopped in Canberra
Hi boadacea-cat and others,

The Board of Chronic Pain Australia is concerned about this latest trend of GPs and other doctors cutting away CP sufferer's pain medication and not replacing it with an appropriate medication and/or therapy. So we are going to be working on a survey to put on our website soon, where people can go and anonymously answer questions about their case. They will be able to name the state they are in, but not sure what else. There will be questions on the care you have received and what type of problems you have had to endure due to these new changes in prescribing and withdrawing of certain medications.

At the moment, all we can do is to encourage anyone who has an issue with a clinic or clinician, to go to the website link below, register and then post their complaint. Read the rules and follow them and these people will contact the clinic to see what can be done about the complaint. They won't use your names, but just talk to them about the problems. www.patientopinion.org.au/

I doubt they can do anything about this current practice with doctors stripping away Opioid meds. But they can certainly record your complaint and add it to a data base.

Boadacea-cat if I were you, I would probably not post on that website without your solicitors knowledge or advice. So best you just bookmark it for the future.

So Guys, not sure when we will get around to the survey, so please keep an eye out for the thread I will start and stick permanently up top with the other important threads that will have a link in it to the survey.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Peter.

• vcubitt
  • vcubitt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 8 months ago #26650 by vcubitt
vcubitt replied the topic: Opioid Prescriptions being stopped in Canberra
Thank you everyone for your advice and support so far. I have just received a response from ACT Human Rights to a complaint we sent to them about the Pain Management Unit before we started going to the solicitor. Pain Management's response is quite frightening from the way have twisted one or two things we put in the complaint. For the most part though they seem to have glossed over or totally ignored various sections of the complaint. I am really flat out at work and working long hours, and don't have the strength to think about it any ore tonight.

Boadacea-cat

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153