Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

LYRICA

More
1 year 2 months ago #27392 by Harpy
Harpy replied the topic: LYRICA
Sure is a blessing , was kind of freaking out about them withdrawals a bit.
BUT 2 days on kapanol 30mg x twice a day. More wide awake than ever , be lucky if I had 1 hours sleep each night, just so bloody tired. The kapanol don't make me drowsy at all so can't even have a power nap. Grr.
But I have noticed that the bone aching fatigue has eased and my limbs and they only feel like heavy dead weights.
I hope everyone is having a better day.
Harpy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #27395 by Mango
Mango replied the topic: LYRICA
Hi Harpy,

I am so happy for you that you're not getting the withdrawels you were fearing. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
I have all my fingers crossed for you that it continues. Although I am so sorry you are not sleeping. That would be a deal breaker for me. Not sleeping is my worst enemy. As I am sure it is to everyone. But as I've mentioned before, not sleeping puts me in a terrible cycle and I will do just ablut anything to stop it. So I will live with any other side effects, as long as I can sleep.

And yes, the lower appetite is very refreshing, but I am very careful, as I know it might change and the last thing I want is for it to lift and I'm left with bad habits.

Johnno,

Oh trust me buddy, I have a lot to lose without Lyrica increasing my weighht. My doc and I have been working on it for a few years now. I lost 10kg, put back on 5kg and am currently back getting it down. Mind you I still have another 20-25kg I must lose. Its just really hard with the CP. Walking is the only exercise I can do, and sometimes it just hurts far to much to do even that. But I plug away. I am making the most of the lower appetite, I record everything, so making sure I eat my three meals. And no more donuts. No matter how good they taste.

I am noticing I am making more typing errors lately, and I think the Lyrica is midly affecting my dexterity. I am very wobbly when I get up at 6am to take my Thyroxine. But by the time I get up, get up by about 9am I am better. Not as wobbly. And able to function during the day, as I need to.

Mango xx

"It's time to play the game" HHH

More
1 year 2 months ago #27401 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: LYRICA
Great news

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

More
1 year 2 months ago #27430 by Mango
Mango replied the topic: Steady as she goes
Well latest doc update.
Staying on 50mg Lyrica at night for now. It is still kicking my butt, so he wants to wait a little longer.
I still have a much lower appetite. And the doc says that as long as I make sure I eat properly, it works in our favour. So he's not at all concerned about it. And case and point, my niece had a birthday yesterday and usually I will induldge well and truly. Not this time. I had a small portion and just one slice of cake. And oooohhh do I love cake. Usually I would have 2 slices and take what ever was left over home. Not this time. Just the once slice, one malteaser and didn't take any home.

The sleeping through the night - oh wow. I love this side effect. I have taken myself off the Temaze completely. The Lyrica has taken the need for it away. I like that, a lot.

The not so good side effects
* Clumsy - oh boy, now I am a little on the clumsy side at the best of times. Now days I drop everything, at least twice. So I justt have to be careful.
* Lethargy - the doc wants me to push through and make sure I walk or wander around the garden for at least 15 minutes a day. It is a struggle, but I will try.
* Dexterity - I have noticed when typing I am making a hundred times more mistakes. I'm also stumbling over tying shoe laces and the like. So far I am managing, obviosuly, but it is frustrating.

The benefits - (not including the lower appetite)
* Sleep at night - Awesome
* My teeth don't hurt - I was starting to think I'd have to have all my teeth pulled out. They were so painful. That has imporved by 90%. Love it.

----> No other pain decreases as yet. Having said that, if all I get out of the Lyrica is the sleep and the much, much lower teeth pain. Then it is worth it. I will live with being clumsy and lethargic. I just have to be patient with myself. But this drug has givenme hope, than with higher levels, when we get there, I might possibly get lower pian levels, and maybe even have less ear issues.

So for now, its steady as we go. Just very slowly for me.
Mango xx

"It's time to play the game" HHH

More
1 year 2 months ago #27441 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Steady as she goes
Hey Mango,

I was working and slowly going up to 300mg twice a day and I found it helped reduce the nerve pain to a point , but I also have the clumsy dropsy thing TV remote controls ,crockery to name just two.
But the light switched on and the fog cleared to a point you should see me try to text on an iPhone it is so funny but bloody frustrating.
Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

More
1 year 1 month ago #27525 by superspoonie
superspoonie replied the topic: LYRICA
Can anyone offer any insight on the difference between lyrica and gabapentin? I know lyrica is pregablin which is closely related pharmaceutically but is much newer.
I dont think gabapentin does mmmuch for me anymore (i take it for nerve damage) and i might ask my doc to switch to lyrica potentially...
thanks in advance anyone :)

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153