Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

LYRICA

More
1 year 1 month ago #27531 by Mango
Mango replied the topic: LYRICA
First, sorry no answer for you superspoonie. I am new to Lyrica myself.

Which is still kicking my butt! My doc seems to think I shouldn't be so wiped because of it as I would be used to such things as PForte and Temazapam. :silly:

But it is, I am so lethargic. And my brain, she don't work so good. I've never been a rocket scientist but holy blank brains bat man, my brain goes blank like a million times a day. I've even started saying to my family, "Oh just fill it in.... you'll get there before my brain will!"

I see the doc on Thursday, I'll ask him about it. From what I understand, once you get the Lyrica up to levels it levels out, on the brain fog side of things?! It is entirely probable I have completely picked up the wrong end of the stick on that one. See how we go Thursday.

Otherwise, things are same old, same old.
Mango xx

"It's time to play the game" HHH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #27547 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: LYRICA v gabapentin
Hi Superspoonie ,

Lyrica vs. Gabapentin

Both Pregablin (Lyrica) and Gabapentin (Neurontin) belong to the same family of drugs used to treat neuropathic pain. Lyrica is quite effective for the treatment of partial seizures. It also proves useful for the treatment of post-herpetic neuralgia, epilepsy, fibromyalgia, and diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Gabapentin is also used to treat epilepsy and neuropathic pain, but is more commonly used for off-label treatments, such as insomnia, restless leg syndrome, and bipolar disorder. Both of these drugs work, but Lyrica is relatively costlier than Gabapentin.

Lyrica vs Gabapentin: What Do Doctors Say?

Both drugs work, but it is sometimes a good idea to compare Lyricavs. Neurontin to select the treatment option for your condition. Here's a bit more about what doctors say about Pregablin vs. Gabapentin.

Dr. Pullen's Opinion

Gabapentin is a GABA analogue, whereas Pregablin has similar pharmacological profile to Gabapentin. Both of these agents have proven effective for certain neuropathic pain disorders, but when you think of Pregablin vs. Gabapentin, you have to consider that FDA has only approved Pregablin for post herpetic neuralgia and diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

Pregablin or Lyrica has shown equal effects in clinical trials as compared to Gabapentin, but it works better at much lower doses mainly because it has higher bioavailability, so it a more appropriate choice to treat neuropathic pain. It also means you won't face several dose-related side effects when opting for Lyrica.

Gabapentin takes more time to absorb in the blood than Lyrica. That's another reason why Lyrica has proved more potent as compared to Gabapentin in seizure and pain disorders.

David F. McAuley's Opinion

He believes Lyrica is a more appropriate choice for the treatment of neuropathic pain syndromes. Lyrica is effective but is an expensive alternative to Neurontin. However, Lyrica has some essential advantages, especially when you talk about Lyrica vs. Neurontin or Lyrica vs Gabapentin.

The biggest benefit is that Lyrica can be prescribed in low doses for pain management without having to worry about side effects. That cannot be done in case of Gabapentin because it's lowest dose is 1800mg a day, which usually cause intolerable drowsiness and other side effects. With Lyrica, it is possible to prescribe 50-75mg twice a day. Moreover, 90% of Lyrica is absorbed from your gut, whereas only 27-60% of Gabapentin will be absorbed initially. It makes Lyrica more effective than the two.

Gabapentin is, however, a relatively better choice for diabetic peripheral neuropathy because in such chronic disorders, it is acceptable to increase dose slowly to achieve the minimum dose requirement over the span of a few weeks or even months. Lyrica is a better choice though if you're talking about fibromyalgia or other neuropathic disorders.

Lyrica vs. Gabapentin: What Do Patients Say?

Many people have been using both anticonvulsant drugs to treat certain conditions, and they have experienced different benefits and side effects of both. Here's a bit more about what patients say about Lyrica vs Gabapentin.

Hankmac's Experience

I've used Gabapentin – a dose of 900mg – thrice a day for about six months now. The only real side effect I experienced was sugar craving that led to some weight gain in my case. There wasn't anything else serious about using Gabapentin though. It wasn't that effective though in treating my fibro or myofascial pain. This made me switch to Lyrica. I've been using 300mg of Lyrica for a few months now with no real side effects – the only issue I experienced was constipation. On the upside, the drug is really working great for my fibro. I'll definitely be sticking with this one for now.

Hope this clears the muddy water
Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

More
1 year 1 month ago #27558 by Mango
Saw the doc on Thursday. He has upped me to 75mg at night. If we don't see a benefit in the next month, he wants to drop it back. He is thinking lomg term, and even though I am getting some relief from it, he wants to balance the whole body. And he is mostly concernd with the weight gain side effect.

To be honest if this is where I stay I will be happy. The fact that my teeth no longer pain at all. It stopped all the teeth pain completely. That is amazing. I seriously thought I was going to have to have them all ripped out. Which quite frankly scared the crap outta me.

But I have also noticed the constant deep ache has decreased significantly. Yes the jaw still cracks, locks and sends shooting pain all over my head and neck. But that deep ache has decreased. Now that's a huge win. So much so I am starting to see if I can decrease the Panadiene Forte during the day. I haven't told the doc yet, wait to see if I am successful. This month my aim is to drop from 3 a day to 2.

Yes I am very lethergic, clumsy and brain foggy. But hey I can deal with that. I can still do what I need to do during the day, I just have to be aware and push myself to go for a walk every second day. I simply can't manage every day, pain wise, but the jaw seems to handle every second day.

So all is good on the Lyrica front. *touch wood*.
Mango xx

More
1 year 6 days ago #27655 by Harpy
Harpy replied the topic: LYRICA
Hi Mango
How are you going, I am like you , walking is the pits, I try and walk around the shops the distraction helps get the job done. Never do it on a shopping day I can't manage both.
Now onto the topic of meds, they get changed and changed , what do you guys do with the boxes full of meds when your given another type? Do we keep them in case we get put back onto them later? ( if they are still in date) they cost a lot of money and I would hate to dispose of them if I am going to have to go back on them and pay again.
Harpy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mango

More
1 year 6 days ago #27657 by Mango
Hi Harpy,
I am doing ok. The Lyrica has been a god send to me, i had no idea how much of my pain was infact nerve pain.
Of course I still have all the other jaw issues, but the deep constant ache has decreased significantly. The major side effect for me is the lethargy. I am exhausted. Which is why I haven't been here for a while. By the time I've done everything I have to do, I am wiped.

I haven't managed to get back into walking yet, I am hoping to start up again this week. Might just keep it short for a while.

On to meds. I am on DSP so I get all my scripts for $6.40. So if I change, I leave it for a month, and if it looks like its staying, then I take them into the chemist for disposal. If I werent on the DSP I would put them into a different box, drawer or something until they went out of date. Purely becuase they are damn expensive. I'd put them somewhere I couldn't confuse them with current meds. Once they were out of date I'd then take them into the chemist for disposal.

Thanks for reaching out Harpy, I appreciate it.
Mango xx

More
11 months 4 weeks ago #27689 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: LYRICA
Hey Mango,

You reappeared from the fog it's great when you do it seems interminable but all of sudden bam your through.

Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153