Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

LYRICA

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #27802 by Harpy
Harpy replied the topic: LYRICA
This question is for those of you on lryica or amytriptiline.
Today I had a tooth extracted , this is the 3 Rd tooth in 2 years.
The dentist asked how long I had been on these meds , so I filled him in one how long I have been on them and now weaning off. He said as they cause a lot of inflammation in the gum.
The wisdom tooth he pulled was a perfectly healthy tooth just had a huge infection around the root.
My question is has anyone else on these meds lost teeth? Or had troubles with their teeth?
Boy I am so glad I am coming off the lryica, the amytriptiline I take once or rarely twice a month.
Harpy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mango

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jo.m
  • jo.m's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #27803 by jo.m
jo.m replied the topic: LYRICA
I have been thinking this same thing for the last 3 years since my oral health deteriorated!!! I'm petrified of the dentist and can't afford to go, yet my teeth have been affected by the medications I have been taking which is something I am very self conscious about :(

I have had one tooth removed and 'quite a few' break!!! I can believe that they cause the inflammation in the gums cause thats where I feel it most of the time, despite looking after my teeth and doing all the right things.

Just another thing to add to the list of things to be annoyed about!!!! Feeling sorry for myself today as I've got the dreaded head cold and flu symptoms :(

Jo

"Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow 'til there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say, oh

The sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on
'til tomorrow, come what may!"

Annie - The Movie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mango

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #27804 by Mango
Mango replied the topic: LYRICA
Ok, this is something I need to talk to my doc about this week!

This scares the hell outta me. I have just fixed all the damage done by the bad treatment and incorrect pate 20 years ago.
The dentist is hell for me. So this is one side effect I am not willing to "live with".

I will talk to my doc on Thursday and see what he says.

Might have to investigate this further.
Thanks Ladies.
Mango

"It's time to play the game" HHH

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #27805 by Mango
Mango replied the topic: LYRICA
Ok. I just did a quick Google search on Lyrica and dental issues and have successfully scared the shit out of myself.

I see my dentist in Thursday and then my doc. I will be talking about this with them.
This is a deal breaker for me. I'll let you know what they say.
Mango xx

"It's time to play the game" HHH

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #27806 by Harpy
Harpy replied the topic: LYRICA
Jo , Hi like you dental hygiene is so important and then be told this yesterday. I must reread the leaflet that comes with the lryica as I can't remember it saying any thing in it about the gum inflammation. I was guttered as I still had all my teeth and was proud to say so at my age, 53.
I already had an appointment for my gp on Thursday , but I think I will try to wean off the lryica quicker than the three months it I can.
As a child we had school dentist and my memories of those time are horrific hence why I took good care of my teeth. The dentist is called dentist for chickens , he was so nice and tried to calm me but I still couldn't stop shaking.
I wish I had known before I started these pills many years ago, grrrr
Harpy

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #27807 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: LYRICA
Gee whizz I've been on the darned lyrica for many a moon now and don't seem to have any troubles with my dentures so far the denture glue holds em in place real good and the can sometimes be hard to remove as they seems like they're stuck in with baby poop.
But seriously I've been on 300mg twice a day for damn near 4 years now and haven't lost a tooth yet but I do see the horse dentist six monthly so here's hoping
Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153