Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Electric blankets and bed toppers advice

• Joe
  • Joe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • "No pain, no gain"... Really!...Really!!!!????
1 year 5 months ago #26606 by Joe
Joe created the topic: Electric blankets and bed toppers advice
Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone may have some knowledge and experience in this area to offer some advice.

I, probably like a lot of others here, spend a lot of my time in bed. As such I want to get a removable "topper" to help distribute the contact surfaces and improve the comfort level (I purposely chose not to purchase a bed with a built in topper as I had learnt that these limit the ability to rotate the top mattress fully, dramatically shortening the life of the upper mattress... can we all say, "planned obsolescence"?).

I'm most interested in a gel based topper, but I can't find online information about their use with electric blankets, which, again, like a lot of others here I'm guessing, I use to help the back pain.

I don't know if I can use these together, or if you do, which goes on top, the gel topper or the electric blanket?

If not a gel based topper, is there another type that others may have had good experiences with that you could pass on? Cost is of course an issue but I've also learnt about the false economy of buying the wrong cheaper item, more than once over spending more at first, getting the right thing from the start.

Thanks in anticipation,

There's a Budhist saying, "life is pain". I don't think it was meant to be this literal!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 5 months ago #26609 by Madasha2
Madasha2 replied the topic: Electric blankets and bed toppers advice
Hi Nathan
I had to buy a new mattress a few years back so with all the different types I decided on a Tempur which I got from Harvey Norman. I'm not sure if they sell mattress toppers in this but if not I think the next best one would be latex or what your looking at, gel. As for which way they would go on your bed I would assume it would be like if you had a mattress protector where the electric blanket goes first and the protector on top, but I would either ask them from where you purchase the topper or ring the customer number that usually comes with items like these.
Hope this helps

1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #26611 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Electric blankets and bed toppers advice

A company in Qld " Mak Matt. "make beds which have a removable topper , we bought a pillow top bed $2,000 mattress what a bloody mistake ,I am approx 80 kg my wife tips the scales at about 50kg so as you can see we are very heavy, well within 12 months there was a ridge in the centre of the pillow top we could only rotate the bed ,we had the rep. For the company around twice and I placed a spirit level across the mattress to show the amount of dip there was and he said " that's normal wear ".
I pushed to have the pillow top replaced or removed and he said either of those would incur a cost approx $200 plus pick up and delivery $100 and there plant is five minutes away I saw red and I told him to get out ,we now have a brand new mattress bought direct from the manufacturer.

Pillow tops or gel tops be careful if you are a hot person don't get one as you will end up in a pool of perspiration and our medication makes it worse, I have always been hot temperature wise and medication makes it worse .
My honest opinion go to manufacturer and get a better product.

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Johnno. Reason: Naming a manufacturer

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153

Contact us