Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Changes to Codiene Scheduling?

• Mango
  • Mango's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #28077 by Mango
Mango created the topic: Changes to Codiene Scheduling?
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows the complete changes to how codiene will be scheduled?

I saw my doc today and he told me I have 3 month to get off the Panadiene Forte as in February the rules for prescribing changes and I will not qualify for it??

I’m in two minds, 1) probably a good thing really. Be interesting to see how it plays out.
2) Absolute panic. PF is the only pain killer I can really take that works. I only take 2 a day. I am just getting by now.... oh I can’t even finish that sentance. Yes. Absolute Panic.

I have looked and looked and all I can see is that the change is that all codiene products will be schedule 4 and require a prescription. It doesn’t say anything about all codiene being authority script and must fullfill certain requirements.

I am confused. I’m not going to fight my doc on this, not really worth it. I’ll comply but I will be talking through all my concerns with him over the next three months. Quite frankly the reason for my panic is basically on bad days I get to a point where I have two options a bullet or a pain killer. And while I don’t WANT the bullet option, I do want to dull the pain. I will get through the days, but night time. Oh boy. Without sleep I will end up in desperate states. Again, I’ll talk to the doc.

Anyhooo.... if anyone can fill me in on the new rules, I would be very grateful, and much less confused.
Thanks
Mango

"It's time to play the game" HHH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 5 hours ago #28146 by pamcarr
pamcarr replied the topic: Changes to Codiene Scheduling?
hi, I don't know what the changes are or how they will impact on me, i take a lot of over the counter - Dolased or Mersyndol type of meds as a back up to all my schedule 8 drugs - you know the days where you need something, but not the strongest medication you have day...
hope that that makes sense

Pam

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #28204 by Casanet
Casanet replied the topic: Changes to Codiene Scheduling?
Hi Pam, The only change is that all currently OTC drugs containing codeine, even cough syrup, need a script from 1st Feb 2018. There is no change that I am aware of for Panadeine Forte as you have always required a script for that. Hope this helps to clarify things. Good Luck.

• Mango
  • Mango's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 months 4 weeks ago #28299 by Mango
Mango replied the topic: Changes to Codiene Scheduling?
Well I am still mighty confused. My doc is adamant I can no longer get Panadiene Forte.
Thankfully I weaned myself off, so as of today I am one week, no codiene.

Scary as hell, what do I do when I have a flare up?? *touch wood* no flare ups yet.

I am so annoyed at the sudden anti-codiene stance, by those in power.
And yet they can hand out the likes of diazapam with no issues or outcry by the powers that be.

I will be interested to see what the new section says about it, becuase I ould find no information about codiene restrictions other than all codiene must have a script. All I can find from my doc s that it requires an authority and since I have chronic pain I won’t be cleared to have it. I look forward to having more information.

"It's time to play the game" HHH

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
3 months 4 weeks ago #28300 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Changes to Codiene Scheduling?
Mango, I don't know where your doctor is getting his/her information from. The only changes that I am aware of is that you can no longer buy over the counter Codeine products without a script. There was no mention that they were going to ban Panadeine Forte. I take Panadeine Forte every day and I can tell you that my doctor will continue to prescribe it to me after February the 1st 2018.

There has been a push by the govt and the AMA to stop prescribing all these drugs to chronic pain sufferers. There are now some organisations coming out against this and are arguing with the govt over this position they are taking. Chronic Pain Australia is also against this practice in part. You will get our position on this issue once I open the new section.

You should challenge this doctor to go get the right information and if they continue to say they can't then go find another doctor if you need to be prescribed the stronger drug.

For me, I am glad that they are finally putting Panadeine on a script, because it means I can get the lower dose of Codeine that I would rather have and have it on a 3 month script so I can afford it.

Some doctors are misinterpreting these changes or are being given the wrong information.

Do the research yourself online and take the evidence in to the doctor yourself and prove the point.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mango

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #28304 by pamcarr
pamcarr replied the topic: Changes to Codiene Scheduling?
hi Mango,
I have spoken with my gp who assured me that the only change is that a script will be needed as of feb, but this could be beneficial if you get a concession, I also spoke with my pharmacist about it (previously) and was told that some of the brands were being discontinued by the pharmaceutical companies, as many products are same medication but with different name would be discontinued - such as Mersyndol forte will be discontinued as Mersyndol and then panadiene forte cover the band so why make yet another medication - does that make sense what I'm trying to say

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153