Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Changes to Codiene Scheduling?

• Mango
  • Mango's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28385 by Mango
Mango replied the topic: Changes to Codiene Scheduling?
So I have survived. Two weeks Codeine Free.

Pain is no worse or better. So I guess that is good. But man I am exhausted. I appear to sleep somewhat, and with the exception of some additional Temaze on bad nights, I haven't changed anything else.

I am completely exhausted. I am struggling to do anything much.

And tomorrow is the day I have to talk to my doc. I have decided to tell him I know there is no change to how Panadiene Forte is prescribed. And that he lied to manipulate me to do what he wanted. I am going to do it at the end of my appointment, and ask him to please never do it again.

Thanks for listening as I navigate this one. See how tomorrow goes.
Mango

"It's time to play the game" HHH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #28388 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Changes to Codiene Scheduling?
Mango,

Regardless of where the doctor got his information, I wouldn't go calling him a liar. Yes, there is a degree of responsibility for them to find out the real situation on these drugs, but he may have been told by someone superior to him that he has to cut out the P. Forte for his pain patients.

Like I said before, there are two things at play here. One is the new changes to Codeine and that you have to have a script to buy it now, and separately there is the issue where the govt and the AMA are putting pressure on doctors to restrict the use of Opioid drugs and to steer away from prescribing them to chronic pain patients.

Too many doctors are either running scared and frightened of being prosecuted, or they are just covering their arses and will just stop doing it. The problem is that the majority of physicians are cutting out these drugs and not replacing them with any worthwhile medication or therapy that will be of any kind of assistance to the pain sufferer.

We need to keep our health professionals on side. You have every right to question him and ask him where he got his information from and you can respectfully disagree. But if you have a go at him, he may be disinclined to assist you any further in the future and that will only bode badly for you.

Yes I have argued with doctors over this and told them they are wrong, plus I have disagreed with their wonder drug Panadol Osteo as being the panacea of pain medication for chronic pain sufferers. But I have always been respectful and not accused them of being dishonest. The majority of them are overworked and ignorant to the latest information about chronic pain. Sometimes it is up to us to educate them.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts with you.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Peter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mango

• Mango
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28389 by Mango
Hi Peter,

I do apologise, I obviously sounded a lot more agressive than I am. I have no intention of getting him off side. I am going to question him, but gently and in no way agressive. I’m very sore and exhausted, so I guess my last post came across as aggressive.

I am interested to see what my appointment tomorrow brings.

Thank You for reminding me to be nice. I am usually very nice, and not at all agressive. But we can all be reminded to be nice.
Thanks,
Mango

The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28390 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Changes to Codiene Scheduling?
Hi all,

What was the old saying
you attract more bees with honey
Something or other something something
I really must fix my memory cells next tune up
Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

• Mango
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28392 by Mango
Okay.... I spoke to my doc. He said he used the wrong word. It’s not an authority script. It’s a scheduled script. Which means he writes it as per usual, but it all gets reported somewhere behind the scene. I didn’t really understand it completely.

He said they are keep close tracking of codiene to see if those who were buying OTC codiene, are just now getting it from doctors, without any less amount. I don’t know its all very confusing to my sore head.

But anyway, he’s happy with how I am handling it. And we just have to keep on top of my miserableness.

And on that note, after my usual trip to town I need a rest.
Mango

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28397 by myalgic1
myalgic1 replied the topic: Changes to Codiene Scheduling?
Hi, Mango...
Now that codeine has been upscaled, it is now a scheduled drug, like oxycontin and endone, so whenever your GP writes a script for a scheduled drug, its is recorded so that the government knows how much of a particular drug is being used by a patient...that's my understanding of it anyway. Its's supposed to prevent people from doctor shopping and getting their hands on more than one script. This doesn't make things any better for us and when flu season strikes, all those poor workers who used to rely on codeine flu tabs to get through the working day are going to clog up surgeries, with head cold complaints and aching flu symptoms, making it very difficult for those who rely on codeine based products for quality of life, very difficult.

Having said that, if you continue to maintain a good realtionship with your doc, (I knwo that can be hard at times, especially when they come across as being deliberately obtuse), he will continue to help you as much as he is able. I've heard rumours that oxycontin is now in the sights of the pro pain, anti drug party , so no doubt when that happens, I will be just as sad. Remember, misery loves company, so we can support each other in our misery and hope that one day, common sense will find our legislators and give them a wake up call.

Take care,
Myalgic1
xxx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mango

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153