Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Scared out of my mind

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #28211 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Scared out of my mind
Hey Ange,

You’ve done all the right things so all I can say is you are in the best of hands , your surgeon was good in telling you how long you could be in surgery obviously if they can do it quicker they will but they will use the utmost care , the estimates he has given are worse case obviously if you are willing to do the in house Physio and show you can walk using aids they may let you out with good behaviour .

When I had the Anterior cervical discectomy with fusion I had two choices total quadriplegia or surgery well I pushed the day after surgery o go home I was given a second chance so I got out of jail free I would have run but my lumbar is stuffed so I did a quick walking stick shuffle .

Keep us posted and don’t get too stressed they wouldn’t recommend this surgery if they didn’t believe they could help you

Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse
The following user(s) said Thank You: ange

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #28212 by BadBack
BadBack replied the topic: Scared out of my mind
Hi Ange,
I just wanted to wish you all the best with your upcoming fusion. I had L3/L4 to L5-S1 fused nearly 22 years ago, my son was 5. Like you i had my parents, especially Dad around to help.
Please take the time to recover properly and dont overdo it, as it can be hard when you have kids, guilt or stubborness lol kicks in. As u said, especially when your so used to just hiding it and pushing through, i do that. This is a time to really take it easy, so you know you did everything possible for a successful outcome.
Once i was upto it, I used to play board games, watch tv on my bed with my son, as back then it was a month in bed.
Take care and keep us updated
Cheers Vicki :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ange, myalgic1

• ange
  • ange's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
4 months 3 weeks ago #28216 by ange
ange replied the topic: Scared out of my mind
Thank you Johnno and Vicki. I know that I’m doing all the right things but as “THE” day gets closer and closer I get more and more freaked out. And I think one of the hardest parts is that I keep everything to myself in my normal life because people around me just want me to say I’m ok so they can feel better. So now I’m keeping a lot of these current feelings to myself cause that’s what I always do.

And because I’ve spent so much time in hospital and have had young kids, no one even asks me or considers the idea that I might like someone to stay with me for as long as they can just prior to the surgery. They just drop me off at the front door of the hospital and say goodbye and good luck. Normally I don’t mind, I’m used to doing everything in hospital on my own but given how big this surgery is, I would like to have someone to be with me, or at least someone to ask if I want them to come.

Anyway, now I’m just venting so I’d better stop.

Thanks again guys.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #28217 by Johnno
Hey Ange ,
First off which hospital are you going into and where (city) .
Second have you seen the letter above about how to inform people that you are suffering severe chronic pain I would print it out and when you can get the unbelievers to read it .
Every time you have surgery there is a small risk but I’ll bet you’ve got a gtreat team who are going to do a brilliant job yes it is major surgery ,I had that when they did my C5/6 ACDF Anterior cerviacal discectomy and fusion they went in from the front between my throat and arteries,I have a lovely scar it looks like my throats been slit the scar is neat right in one of my wrinkles .
But stop dithering Johnno best of luck Ange and you can PM us if you need to
Cheers
Johnno

The following user(s) said Thank You: ange

• ange
  • ange's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #28218 by ange
ange replied the topic: Scared out of my mind
Hey Johnno, dither away as much as you like. My surgeon did show me that they can go through the front for a lumber fusion but it wasn’t likely to resolve the nerve issues so we both agreed that back entry would be best.

How amazing that they ‘technically’ slit your throat. I’m sure you’ve been asked about the scar more than you probably would have liked. And you would have a well rehearsed reply, as do I when people ask about my back.

I’m going to be at the Wesley Hospital in Brisbane. Most of my hospital stays have been at Greenslopes but I was recommended this surgeon who works at the Wesley.

A
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by ange.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #28220 by Johnno
Well well well ,
Hey Ange,

The Wesley has been one of my dens of inequity over the last seven years 5 surgeries and 2 pain clinics .
If you are up for visiting I’m more than willing to fill in some gaps and maybe keep your chin up .
I live in Forest Lake and have had surgery performed by Dr Jayne Berryman & Dr Bansi etc so message me if you are up to having a friendly visit .

Johnno

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153