Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Botox for Migraines

• jo.m
  • jo.m's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #28326 by jo.m
jo.m created the topic: Botox for Migraines
I thought I would share my experience with Botox for Migraines as it has been amazing for me and hope others will also benefit from it.

10 months ago I had my first Botox Treatment for my Migraines. I had suffered Migraines since my car accident 18 years ago and they had increased to a maximum of 17 a month and could last for days which was debilitating and on top of all my other Chronic Pain so I really had to get them managed better.

My GP who has an interest in Chronic Pain Suggested a Neurologist to me and the Botox treatment and I thought I have nothing to lose!

So after seeing her she said I met the criteria for the treatment to be billed through medicare which means a very low cost for the actual botox and then her consultation fee.

She gave me 30 needles in my head and neck which took only 5 minutes and that was it. There are no side effects and it can take up to 2 weeks to take affect. It is then repeated in 12 weeks.

First she suggested that maybe one treatment could stop them or reduce them, then after a second treatment I might find I can leave it longer in-between.

After the first treatment my migraines reduced to almost none! I wasn't able to reduce my daily migraine medication but I didn't have any migraines until about 3 weeks before I was due to have Botox again. (3 months later) and it was a 4 day migraine but compared to 17 a month it was a great improvement.

So I've had 3 further treatments and the pattern has remained the same 3-4 weeks before I am due the botox again I have a big 4 day migraine and thats it no more.

I can't tell you what a difference this has made to my life. I am highly sensitive to medications so I have been unable to take a lot for the migraines and what I have taken hasn't really helped.

So if any of you who suffer Migraines and struggling to manage them please ask you GP to refer you to someone who gives Botox. Have a consultation. what do you have to lose!

I'm happy to chat more if anyone is interested. Feel free to message me.

Good Luck and I hope this post helps some of you.

Jo :)

"Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow 'til there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say, oh

The sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on
'til tomorrow, come what may!"

Annie - The Movie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #28339 by BadBack
BadBack replied the topic: Botox for Migraines
Hi Jo,
Have heard of botox treatment for migraines but never knew anyone who's personally tried it. Very good to know as mine are under control (touch wood lol) but I've had to increase intake of preventive meds and maxalt wafers as im getting them frequently lately.
Will also pass info onto my sister whom suffers really badly from them, like you.
Definitely something to look into, so thank you for letting us know.
Thanks Vicki x

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #28819 by ZZ
ZZ replied the topic: Botox for Migraines
Hi I was thinking of trying this. Can i ask where did you go? I live in Victoria.
Also, I know this sounds very vain but I know that some people have had botox for cosmetic reasons and suffered from droopy eyes etc afterwards. Did you have any of these affects?
Thanks Zina
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by ZZ.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #28825 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Botox for Migraines
Hi Zz,

If you pm Jo.m and ask her I’m sure she is more than happy to tell you about droopy lips etc

Ha ha

Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150