Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

psychologist

• Wendles
  • Wendles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 months 1 week ago #28442 by Wendles
Wendles created the topic: psychologist
Hi
Was just wondering if anyone has come across this advice
I had flare-ups over the last few weeks due to visits to the dentist (I am sure you all remember :) ) any way when I discussed this with my psychologist she said well it was my choice. Then continued to say that there was no reason that I had to go and if I valued my teeth health then I should except it. But continued to say I should not go to the dentist. This comment made me think back to an earlier comment when I had a flare-up after going to family for Christmas, she said well why did you go? There is no reason you had to go?
I know we should avoid situations that cause flare-ups but somethings you just have to do them but you use all the tools and support to help you manage it, right.
Wendles

There is always a SMILE
in your day,
you just need to find it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #28444 by Harpy
Harpy replied the topic: psychologist
Oh Wendles, I am no expert on psychologists as I have never been to one but what she said definitely don’t sound right, basically tellying you to lock yourself away from health care and loved ones , what’s wrong with her
Harpy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendles

More
4 months 1 week ago #28446 by Mango
Mango replied the topic: psychologist
Hi Wendles,

Oh what a load. No. There are some things you can not avoid. Looking after your teeth is better for you in the long run. So unless you have plans on being a toothless hermit that lives off smoothies and juices, sometimes you ave to do stuff that will cause flare ups.

I mean YES it was your choice, but the alternative is NOT realistic.
Mango

"It's time to play the game" HHH

More
4 months 1 week ago #28447 by myalgic1
myalgic1 replied the topic: psychologist
Doesn't sound right, Wendles. Surely, she understands there are certain things we have to do, depsite our illnesses? I was once told by a lady psychaitrist that all my problems were due to me not getting enough, 'cake', ( her euphanism for sex), and at the beginning of each consult, she'd ask me if I'd had any cake. It didn't take long for me to work out she was full of shite and stopped seeing her. Like any other health professional, there are good ones and bad ones. I'd be looking for a different one...take care.x

• Wendles
  • Wendles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 months 1 week ago #28448 by Wendles
Wendles replied the topic: psychologist
Thank you all,
I know we have to grin and bare it, well that's what we do every day, every minute but when she implied that it was my choice to make it worse when they really was option only one choice, a choice to be part of life and receive basic heath care. You will be pleased to know I did make another choice, a choice not to see her again.:cheer:
We should not be expected to miss out on things just so we don't need help or sympathy. We all work very hard to manage our conditions but we should be allowed to lean on others when things get hard. Thank you all for your support
Wendles

There is always a SMILE
in your day,
you just need to find it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: myalgic1

More
4 months 1 week ago #28449 by jo.m
jo.m replied the topic: psychologist
I'm so sorry you experienced such negativity from a Psychologist :( I have had bad experiences in the past and I chose not to see that person again. I now have a wonderful Psychologist and he never makes me feel inadequate or bad about my choices but quite the opposite and encourages me and says he is in awe of my strength and to never doubt my own mind and feelings and always go with my gut. I am very thankful to his support and hope you find someone who understands what you are going through (as best they can) and wish you all the best xx

Jo :)

"Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow 'til there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say, oh

The sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on
'til tomorrow, come what may!"

Annie - The Movie

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153