Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Ankylosing Spondylitis

• Sally
  • Sally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #29064 by Sally
Sally created the topic: Ankylosing Spondylitis
Hello,

Just signed into this website and forum. Hope I’m posting in the right place and manner, writing from my phone.

I am a 30yr old female And have recently worked out I have AS. Initially felt relief to know what was happening then inevitably reality set in.

I’m determined to use this condition as motivation to look after myself well and enjoy the benefits of being fit and healthy. I wld like to start a local support group in my town as I’ve never met anyone with AS before, not sure where to start with that (advice appreciated).
I wld like to hear some advice on pregnancy and child-reading from AS sufferers (I have a baby and 2.5yr old and wld like to have another but that seems near impossible at the moment).

I would like to learn how to ride the wave of flare-ups without the dread, fear and defeat dominating my mood and taking over my usual Optimism.

I wld love to hear how people manage their AS and what life is like. I am not sure what to expect, hope for or be prepared for.
The symptoms have been pretty constant since 2mnths after having second child (who is now 12mnths). I have however managed to achieve some very slow progress and am sleeping better now.

Currently trying to work out the delicate balance of an anti-inflammatory diet, avoiding starchy food, types and regularity of exercise, how to use medication as a back up plan not a dependency and mood management. I am cautious not to overburden my loved ones and sounding like a hypochondriac when asked how back is or mentioning a difficult time. I myself had no idea what AS was just 6mnths ago. I find ppl keep telling me to rest assuming I have more common back pain. When resting is the exact thing I seem unable to do.

I am very grateful to have found an safe discussion space and some support. Please if you have AS could you write to me. Even if it’s just one thing you’ve learned on your Journey.

Thank you if you read all of that and for any input you may have to offer.

Warm regards,

Sally

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150