Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

A sorry tale...

• porcaro
  • porcaro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #20904 by porcaro
porcaro created the topic: A sorry tale...
Hey everyone. I'm new here.
I just want to share my story and hear what others have to say.
I'm now 48 years old, and have been a chronic daily headache sufferer since the mid-1980s.
In the mid 2000s, I suffered two spinal crush fractures due to low bone density.
Up until a few weeks ago, I'd been putting the very severe thoracic and lumbar pain I experience down to those fractures.
But when I consulted a doctor recently because it had got so bad I could hardly walk, she wanted an MRI done.
This showed two 'significant' disc bulges (one in the lower thoracic, the other in the lumbar region and accompanied by a bone spur).
Well that's why my back hurts so much, eh?
Anyway, I'm going to consult a neurosurgeon in October to see what he reckons.
It'll be the same bloke who has performed two cervical discectomies and fusions on me over the past 18 months because there were disc bulges and bone spurs in there, too, which were considered dangerous.
I really don't know what he'll be able to do for me, but I'm not too keen on surgery.
Over the years, I've consulted virtually every practitioner I can think of and tried virtually all the treatments (I'm a migraine sufferer, too - did I mention that?) and basically nothing seems to help.
I take a lot of Mersyndol tablets in my efforts to cope with this, because I'm never free of pain and/or a headache.
I'm going back to the doctor who ordered the MRI tomorrow to see if I can get some more pain relief. She put me on Targin and Endone, which I believe helped a little bit, but I've run out.
I'm waiting to get into a pain clinic where I live (Ballarat, Victoria) but I'm basically at my wits' end in trying to cope with this shocker of a condition.
I can see myself having to use strong painkillers for the rest of my life, but if that's what it takes then that's what I'll do.
And if I have to go to the black market to get some relief, I'll do that, too.
I can't stand for very long; I can't walk very far; the constant headache and now worsening back ache makes me physically ill; and it's very quickly destroying my 'quality' of life.
Tomorrow I'm going for a DNAdose blood test, which my wife (a highly-qualified medical biochemist) discovered. This test apparently is able to show what drugs will work and what drugs won't work for an individual.
I'm doing that because I've been taking opioids for so long that I think I've developed a tolerance to them.
Anyway, that's my little bit of misery.
I'll be hanging around the forum fairly often, now that I've found it.
Seems like a friendly and helpful place.
Regards,

porcaro.

Doh! I've just remembered that I posted an introductory message a while back. This one is more up to date, anyway.
Sorry for being a numbnuts.
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by porcaro.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #20905 by jrp
jrp replied the topic: A sorry tale...
Welcome porcaro. You've had a terrible time of it. The pain clinic will be worth the wait when you get there. The blood test sounds fascinating. It will be interesting to see what you discover from it.

• porcaro
  • porcaro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #20906 by porcaro
porcaro replied the topic: A sorry tale...
Hey JRP, and thanks.
Yeah, the blood test is interesting.
I'm doing it because most medication doesn't seem to do much for me, and apart from the possibility of tolerance, I want to know why.
I'll come back and let you know what the results show.
Regards,

porcaro.

More
3 years 10 months ago #20907 by jrp
jrp replied the topic: A sorry tale...
That will be great. I'll look forward to hearing about it.

More
3 years 10 months ago #20908 by Florrie
Florrie replied the topic: A sorry tale...
Welcome to this awesome group Porcaro,

You, like many of us certainly have a lot to contend with. It sounds as though you have a very supportive wife which is a huge bonus when living with so many challenges and such horrendous ongoing daily pain.

I hope you find the pain clinic helpful when you get your place, many people on here have participated in classes that they offer and have found them to be very helpful.

All the best and take care :)

More
3 years 10 months ago #20913 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: A sorry tale...
Welcome Porcaro,
Having lived in country Victoria for 14 years and now back in Adelaide, I don't know how you put up with the cold, especially Ballarat, getting to minus at times would be a killer on pain levels. I lived in Camperdown for many years then moved to Warrnambool, the cold annoyed me then and that was before my accident. When I do go back, as my youngest Son and his family still live in Warrnambool, for a visit for a couple of weeks we try not to go in winter time, that can can not always happen. But I get good care when over there as my Son works in the management at the Warrnambool base hospital, the staff look after me well if needed, extra breakthrough pain meds are always on hand, heat packs and my electric throw blankets gets packed, and lots of thick warm clothes.
I too suffer from bone spurs, my second op was to remove spurs that had formed after the first back surgery, one was growing through my sciatic nerve, it took 2 MRI's to pick that up, the first one they were afraid to turn the machine up to pick up a better contrast because I have stents, they were afraid they were going to rip them out of my heart, they then clarified I had the new type so they were safe, so the second one was done including dye, which then picked up the damage. Now they can no longer look at surgery, last MRI's proved too much scarring, there are more bony growths, but considered safe, but no more MRI's can be performed after having a Spinal Neurostimulator fitted, not that I want more operations anyway, each one means a longer recovery time, with little or no gain on pain levels, and in the case of recent shoulder surgery more pain, as this has failed to heal like it should, link to being a CPer ?

Don

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153