Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Depression

More
2 years 9 months ago #23586 by Ant
Ant replied the topic: Depression
Mate that was an awesome story - thanks. A good one to pass on.

I really do appreciate the offer... if I can find a way to express myself I'll take you up on it.
All the best!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #23661 by Ant
Do many have trouble with the inability to feel pleasure? Anhedonia is a drag for me because the empty experience of life makes it hard to continue making the effort to deal with pain as well.
I continue to trudge through things I used to enjoy (apparently fMRI scans say the circuits still fire but not as strongly) and try to be interested and mindful so I can recover but it's pretty blah. Any tips/experiences?
Thanks.

• illeatyu
  • illeatyu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 9 months ago #23662 by illeatyu
illeatyu replied the topic: Depression
Ant,

Mate your reading the story of my life, it's almost cost me my marriage and my life, and I still try sometimes to do things I used to enjoy but it's very difficult.

On a less suicidal note, I have found that very emotive music helps, I use Within temptation, Delain, Epica, to name a few, and not all the songs just the ones that resonate with me and that can change week to week or day to day, they help on days when the world is grey.

Im up for a chat if you like just PM me and I'll give you my mobile.

Illeatyu

“All the elements in your body were forged many, many millions of years ago, in the heart of a far away star that exploded and died. That explosion scattered those elements across the desolations of deep space. And came together to form you, you are unique in the universe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ant

More
2 years 9 months ago #23666 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Depression
Hi Ant,
Marriage, work and social life are heavily impacted when one is dealing with chronic pain, the overwhelming sense of loss kicks in, we feel as though we are a burden in life, and lose our identities, we get caught in a rut, stop doing activities because they increase pain.
It is what has to change in moving forward, getting out, even if we don't feel like it, it doesn't have to involve long days, we learn to pace when doing chores, the same approach can be taken when going out, small steps, most find once they have bitten the bullet, they enjoy the time out, as one of the biggest tools in a chronic pain persons toolbox kicks in, distraction, the key is not overdoing it.

Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ant

More
2 years 8 months ago #23677 by Ant
I'm having trouble finding the words to talk about this stuff but it is helpful to know that others struggle as well. Thanks for responding.
Typing is easier because speaking about it generally either leads to tears etc or no emotion at all... can't really find an appropriate in-between yet but when I do I think I have to take you up on your offer.
Keep on keeping on I suppose... biting the bullet is tough but the alternative is worse. It's good advice.

More
2 years 8 months ago #23678 by jo.m
jo.m replied the topic: Depression
Depression is a scary one! I know that even on my good days if something happens to stress me out I become a blubbering wreck! I find it really frustrating as I have always been the strong one in the family and now I can barely keep my emotions in check :(
I really look forward to the day that feels like I've got it all under control! One day maybe :)

"Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow 'til there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say, oh

The sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on
'til tomorrow, come what may!"

Annie - The Movie

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153