Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Supporting my father

• shantelle
  • shantelle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 8 months ago #23326 by shantelle
shantelle created the topic: Supporting my father
Hi,

My name is Shantelle and it is my father I am here about. It is only today that my father allowed me in enough to see how badly things have become for him , it break my heart to see my father as a broken man. I am the eldest of my father's children, I am a mother of 3, a full-time athlete (aspiring olympian) and I work as a support worker.

My father is 56, is currently on a range of pain medications, antidepressants and uses a walking stick. He can only walk a couple hundred meters before he starts to struggle. The list goes on. He has been in multiple vehicle accidents and has broken the L1 and L2 vertebrae, they operated and used screws and then removed them a year later. He has managed ok for a few years but has rapidly deteriorated in the last 12 months or so. He is now also having problems with his sciatica.

Besides pain medication and going to the gym dad does not do any other therapies or methods to manage or improve quality of life.

My question here is - could any one recommend a place to start to learn more about options besides his GP, or suggest surgeons in Melbourne that I can take him to see to discuss spinal Infusion. IF anyone has had this procedure done your story would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Shantelle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #23331 by illeatyu
illeatyu replied the topic: Supporting my father
Hi Shantelle,

This web site is one of the best resources for information about what options are available, however we are not doctors so we can't recommend any procedures, what we can do is tell you what worked for us, medically and non medically, and then you can talk to your doctor and work out what's best for your dad.

Also it would be good for your dad to jump on, we have many members and we all support each other, and that would give him someone to talk to when it gets bad, check out the venting post in the recent topics tab to see what I mean.

But please read, ask and be welcome.

Illeatyu

“All the elements in your body were forged many, many millions of years ago, in the heart of a far away star that exploded and died. That explosion scattered those elements across the desolations of deep space. And came together to form you, you are unique in the universe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153