Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

chronic back pain and palexia

More
2 years 10 months ago #23629 by Ant
Ant replied the topic: chronic back pain and palexia
The trouble with "new" drugs eh... there's not enough research yet to show their down-sides!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Country dave
  • Country dave's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 10 months ago #23632 by Country dave
Country dave replied the topic: chronic back pain and palexia
yeah and sometimes i think they might be a little eager to put you on the new drug of choice so to speak

More
2 years 10 months ago #23634 by Ant
Absolutely - for all the incredibly hard decisions doctors have to make, it's a bit strange that prescribing can follow trends (e.g. in marketing) rather than individuals needs. A quick look shows that some of these side effects are well known in the literature, so the enthusiasm of practitioners is a bit off even when encouraging a benevolent placebo effect might be the intention.

More
2 years 9 months ago #23700 by bluerob
bluerob replied the topic: chronic back pain and palexia

Ant wrote: The trouble with "new" drugs eh... there's not enough research yet to show their down-sides!

Word is that you should treat this as you would an opiate (as in possible side effects).

I was taking 250mgs in the morning and 250mgs at night after a detox session (I was on the Oxy's, Lyrica and Fentenyl patch). Palexia did nothing for me and I am back on the Oxy's.

I think it was released in 2014.

Hope you get some relief!

More
2 years 9 months ago #23701 by Ant
Thanks mate I hope the Oxys continue to work for you.
I haven't tried palexia but just did a bit of reading.
My GP is a bit oldschool and wants me to stay on tramadol (400mg daily is max dose, sigh) to avoid tolerance of the "true" opiate class and other drug interactions... I tend to agree given the blending of some recent research in my mind indicating that it's about as potent and safe as I'm likely to get - I'm still youngish and tolerance over time would be a big issue we both think.

More
2 years 9 months ago #23707 by bluerob
bluerob replied the topic: chronic back pain and palexia

Ant wrote: Thanks mate I hope the Oxys continue to work for you.
I haven't tried palexia but just did a bit of reading.
My GP is a bit oldschool and wants me to stay on tramadol (400mg daily is max dose, sigh) to avoid tolerance of the "true" opiate class and other drug interactions... I tend to agree given the blending of some recent research in my mind indicating that it's about as potent and safe as I'm likely to get - I'm still youngish and tolerance over time would be a big issue we both think.

I'm 47 and been on the various opiates since Jan 2010.

I started on "low" doses and progressively made my way up to doses that my surgeon said "you're prescribed more opiates at the moment than we give to terminal cancer patients." I then spent 3 weeks doing a medication detox. This is where they bring you down slowly and start all over again, except instead of the oxy's, I was put on Palexia, Jurnista, Valium, and Lyrica.

I'm experiencing alot of pain again, but, that's because my spine is stuffed. My surgeon recently said that "you're spine is a house of cards that we are trying to hold together." I'm looking at more surgery in December, which, I'm trying hard to avoid. I'm also trying hard to not ask for an increase in my pain meds because doing a detox is a trip to hell and back (I was plugged into Ketamine for 3 weeks) where I was hallucinating. Not fun for me.

Dude, I hope that all works out well for you. When you say you are "youngish" do everything you possibly can do to manage and look after your spine.

This isn't the same trip as having a broken arm that heals (well, not for me anyway).

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150