Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Travelling from 'A' to 'B' - Bound to a toilet

• I_Have_IBS
  • I_Have_IBS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #24827 by I_Have_IBS
I_Have_IBS created the topic: Travelling from 'A' to 'B' - Bound to a toilet
Hi Everyone,

I'm a 33 year old male with severe IBS, diverticulitis amongst other things . I'd like to share my story and hope i can assist others who are bound to a toilet and struggle to travel.

I was diagnosed with IBS many years ago and i couldn't leave the house due to a constant rush to the toilet. I would go to the toilet at least 8 times before leaving for work, and still need to make another visit or two and have to turn back around to go home. It would then continue at work or where ever i was on that day.
I had to come up with some way to get to and from work, and out and about. I was actually going crazy not being able to leave the house!

For my 30th birthday my wife and i hired a motorhome to take a holiday. It was a great idea because i had a toilet with me where ever i went. I thought to myself, how can i turn a motorhome into an everyday car, with access to a full flushing toilet and washroom like it had.
It wasn't long before i had the answer.. I didn't know if it was going to work, or even if it could work. I approached a campervan conversion company and told them what i needed and why. Together we come up with a perfect solution!

I purchased a standard Toyota Hiace, installed a full bathroom, insulated the walls, installed a floor, water pump, deepcycle battery, lighting, water tanks, etc...
What this has given me is a fully functional, easy to drive vehicle which i can go and park anywhere a car can. Most of all it's given me the freedom to drive anywhere at any time. If i ever have the need to go to the toilet when i'm out on the road, i just need to pull over and park. I don't need to rush around searching for the nearest servo. I don't need to worry about how clean the toilet is going to be or if it's going to be in use. No more travel worries! The toilet is always there. It doesn't look out of place, my wife drives it regularly as it's just like driving a car.

Would any one else be interested in having one of these vans? How do you think a van like this could help you?
For me personally, it's saved my life!

Please feel free to ask me any questions, i'd be happy to answer them.

Cheers!

Brad.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by I_Have_IBS. Reason: incorrect gramma

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #24880 by Marley
Marley replied the topic: Travelling from 'A' to 'B' - Bound to a toilet
Hi Brad
I'm glad you found a creative alternative to your toilet challenge.

Have you phoned the Continence Help Line or Independence Australia? You might be eligible for some funding if you use any contenance products like pads or 'pull-ups.' Or they might be able to suggest something to help you further.

Marley

Once I could laugh with everyone
Once I could see the good to me
Holding the world inside
Now the world is grey to me
Nobody can see you gotta believe it
Oh oh the night comes down
And I get afraid of losing my way
And it’s dark again
“The Night Comes Down” Queen

• I_Have_IBS
  • I_Have_IBS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 1 month ago #24887 by I_Have_IBS
I_Have_IBS replied the topic: Travelling from 'A' to 'B' - Bound to a toilet
Hi Marley,

Thank you for your reply.
No, i haven't contacted either of the two. If you think they may be able to assist then i'll definitely give them a call.

Thanks Marley.

More
2 years 1 month ago #24888 by Marley
Marley replied the topic: Travelling from 'A' to 'B' - Bound to a toilet
You're welcome.

Assistance varies from considerably from State to State and it is not much $$ but if you qualify it is something to help towards your ongoing expenses.

If you have the patience for "All our operators are currently ... " Medicare might be able to tell you who to call in your State if the other 2 can't help. Have your Medicare card to hand.

I believe if you have a cooperative GP there is no harm in applying.

Just to note, all gvt forms are designed not to pay out. When filling out the form, think of your worst times (not best) and all the products you use. Be prepared - the form gets very personal and keeping a copy is always a good idea.

Marley

Once I could laugh with everyone
Once I could see the good to me
Holding the world inside
Now the world is grey to me
Nobody can see you gotta believe it
And I get afraid of losing my way
And it’s dark again
“The Night Comes Down” Queen

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153