Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Dry needling for spine pain

• Suellen.bartley64@gmail.com
  • Suellen.bartley64@gmail.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Harpbird
More
2 years 1 month ago #24923 by Suellen.bartley64@gmail.com
Suellen.bartley64@gmail.com created the topic: Dry needling for spine pain
hello to everyone. I am new here and this is my first post. I have severe ddd, herniated discs, canal / foraminal stenosis at multi levels ect,,,,,ect,,,, in full spine , after quad bike accident in 2003 and 2011 being rear ended by a 4wd and that forced my little hyundai car up under the back of a 4wd in front of me, basically the past 5 years have been shear hell. I have weekly physio to keep me moving, meds are endone when needed, lyrica 275mg twice a day, fentyal patch. Then i take meds to stop me feeling sick and help with the constipation. My first question to you is has any one had dry needling for their pain, it has been recommended by a friend. Does it help at all, i am a sceptic and cant see how a needle (that usually causes pain , lol) can help stenosis, does it hurt? Does it take long?
Thanks for a great site, its good to read other peoples stories and see that i am not alone in the life of pain.
Harpbird

harpbird

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #24924 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Dry needling for spine pain
Welcome Harpbird,
Dry needling is another name for acupuncture, I have had acupuncture and it did nothing for my nerve pain from my back, it didn't hurt, the needles are that fine.

Don

• Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Harpbird
More
2 years 1 month ago #24927 by Suellen.bartley64@gmail.com
Suellen.bartley64@gmail.com replied the topic: Dry needling for spine pain
Thanks for your reply Don, I have heard of accupuncture , just thought dry needling was something else. must be a new age name for an old therapy, lol.
I have another friend nagging me to try accupuncture, this person swears by it, and tells me my physio is a waste of time and money , though i cant work out why, when she hasnt tried either and is a very lucky person who has no injury or pain.
I know when the rib pain is bad and i can only take very shallow breaths or it hurts like heck and catches my breath, i go to my miracle physio guy and can breath normally till the next flare up.

harpbird

More
2 years 1 month ago #24928 by jo.m
jo.m replied the topic: Dry needling for spine pain
Hi Harpbird
I have tried both dry needling and acupuncture for my pain (as they are different, sorry Don)

The dry needling works on 'trigger' points and acupuncture is a TCM (traditional chinese medicine) which works on meridians. They both use the same needles (so this is where the confusion comes from)

Dry needling for me just aggravated my pain but I continue to have acupuncture every fortnight as it does give my lower back pain and headaches some relief. It is short lived but I personally think its worth it (and I have a Dr who bulk bills each time) for taking the edge off the pain for that time and I have such high sensitivities to so many medications that I need something else to help.

This is just my experience and opinion and I'm sure there are lots of people who have different stories to tell, however I don't think you can knock it until you have tried it!!!!

Good luck and welcome to the CPA Forum

Jo :)

"Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow 'til there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say, oh

The sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on
'til tomorrow, come what may!"

Annie - The Movie

• Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Harpbird
More
2 years 1 month ago #24930 by Suellen.bartley64@gmail.com
Suellen.bartley64@gmail.com replied the topic: Dry needling for spine pain
Thanks for the update,, good to know they are different. (learn something new every day) , i will mention it to my physio when i see him. Being a sceptic its like how can a super fine needle help a squished spinal canal?
But hearing you say acupuncture helps with migraines i will definitley give it a go, anything to get rid of them, i just can not cope with them rotten things.
I am on a care plan and you get 5 free physio session a year, well i used them ages ago and now i have to pay for the visit,,, very hard on a one wage household.
Thanks harpbird

harpbird

More
1 year 7 months ago #26572 by Stacka
Stacka replied the topic: Dry needling for spine pain
Hi Suellen,

I had dry needling two weeks ago into my right piriformis muscle and it worked wonders. I asked the physio how does it make such a difference albeit short lived. She said when the muscle is over active, the needles will deliberately put them into continual spasm (you can't really feel it) whereby over twenty minutes the muscle tires and stops spasming. It might be BS but I was amazed how well it worked but only for a few days and then I was back to square one. It gets down to needing to treat the underlying problem I suggest.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153