Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Travelling soon and concerned

• 2manytyears
  • 2manytyears's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #28529 by 2manytyears
2manytyears created the topic: Travelling soon and concerned
Hi All Just looking for some reassurance or something! I have 2 distinct and different versions of chronic pain (lucky me eh) firstly I have constant chronic cramping pelvic pain from endometriosis that resulted in hysterectomy in my early 30s but left me with this pain. I have recently had lignocaine infusions that have treated it successfully (ish) so it’s well under control at present. Second is severe sciatica associated with buttock and feet burning. That comes and goes but when it comes it stays for months. Currently I don’t have sciatica but I have the intense burning on the soles of my feet and in both buttocks. Next week e are heading off on a holiday and just want to know how people cope out of their comfort zones and trying not to let pain spoil their holiday. We are flying to Sydney from Alice Springs, driving down the South Coast, back to Sydney then going on a cruise to NZ. My husband really deserves this and I want so much to enjoy it with him. Any tips will be welcomed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #28530 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Travelling soon and concerned
Hi 2manytyears. I just typed a long reply to your question and it was deleted as "illegal". I will try again later.

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

• Peter
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #28531 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Travelling soon and concerned
Mary, email me please!

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #28532 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Travelling soon and concerned
Hi 2manytyears. This is a timely coincidence. I have managed to travel despite believing that I would never again leave the house. We took a few caravan trips and then we got really brave and with careful planning we went overseas. I tended to be a bit over organised - started to pack really early to avoid the rush and anything that would make my life easier, such as a very lightweight backpack for onboard and a suitcase that wheeled on all 4 wheels for checked baggage. I also used a wheelchair in airports. You can easily pre-book these - they are free and someone wheels you around from one plane to the next or to the luggage carousel. You get to go straight through customs as a bonus! I accepted that my days would be half days instead of walking around all day. We rested in the afternoon and I took a day off here and there to recover. We had a really great time. Your trip sounds amazing and I am sure that you will enjoy it.

We run as support group for people with chronic pain here in Adelaide and on Tuesday we brain stormed this very thing. Here are the suggestions that our group came up with;

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Attachments:

• 2manytyears
  • 2manytyears's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 3 days ago #28735 by 2manytyears
2manytyears replied the topic: Travelling soon and concerned
Mary thanks so much for your advice. The trip went really well and I had very little breakthrough pain. It was especially helpful to take a few days off work beforehand and a couple of days afterwards. The cruise was wonderful and very relaxing. Thanks again.
Where and when does your group meet? I am in Adelaide not infrequently and it would be really good to make a meeting when I am next there.

More
1 month 2 days ago #28736 by jo.m
jo.m replied the topic: Travelling soon and concerned
Hey 2manytyears,

Be prepared and take breaks along the way! That’s what I’ve learnt to do. If you use heat or cold packs prepare with some use once only ice pack for the plane and then buy a bag of ice and some zip Lock bags when in the car. If heat works better, a water bottle is better as it keeps warmer for longer (and you can get boiled water at most places) You can also buy stick on heat pads that activate once on the skin and can last for a few hours (I use these when travelling to the UK)
I also suggest taking your own pillow especially for when you are on the cruise! Keep active but pace yourself. If you overdo it, this will have knock on effects so look after yourself and I’m sure you will both have a wonderful time. Sometimes the effort seems huge, but you can also be distracted from the usual daily routine and this can have a positive effect too! You got this, have a lovely time.

Jo :)

"Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow 'til there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say, oh

The sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on
'til tomorrow, come what may!"

Annie - The Movie

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153