Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Back pain, sciatica and neuropathy ... looking for some online support

• laniburger
  • laniburger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 20 hours ago #28998 by laniburger
laniburger created the topic: Back pain, sciatica and neuropathy ... looking for some online support
Hello,

My name is Alana and I am 32 years old and I suffer from Chronic Back Pain with Sciatica that radiates down my left leg along with some paralysis and numbness in my left leg. I was referred to this site as I was told it was a really good place to talk about my pain problems with people who understand what I am going through and who can also share their experiences with me. I live in Central Queensland so I am not exposed to a lot of people who have gone through similar things as me. I have been dealing with this for over 15 years now and I developed my condition at 14. I was diagnosed at 15 and then I had to wait until my bones stopped growing at about 21 before I could have my first surgery. I have done everything from wearing a brace to trying spinal blocks to surgery and lots of medications. I have recently lost 30 kg in the last 12 months as I was sitting at 130kg and this was only adding to my back problems, so I starting exercising and eating despite the pain to lose weight just to see if this would help and actually it has. Its hard when you are on so many medications that all make you feel very un-energetic and I am a comfort eater, that was truly sometimes they only time I felt happy was when I was eating something really yummy. I guess I really just want to talk to some people who understand that I see the world very differently to other people cause everything I do is always undermined by the amount of pain I am in. I mean when I complain or try to talk to someone about it most people say "well it can't be that bad cause the paralysis means you can't feel anything, you need to look at the bright side" but if only that were true. The sciatica and numbness are just as bad cause there is pins and needles and burning and people who haven't experienced it don't understand how all consuming this can sometimes be. Some days is harder than others and I get frustrated at myself, life in general and there is no one in my area or that I know that understands, I mean professionals have training but they don't live every day since they were 15 in pain. Thought I would just post this and see if anyone out there wanted to talk and maybe tell me their story.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read my story :)

Lana

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #29011 by Deborah Ashton
Deborah Ashton replied the topic: Back pain, sciatica and neuropathy ... looking for some online support
Hi Lana, i can totally relate to your story. After a long journey of back pain, surgery, nerve pain down my right leg with a foot that just burns. I used to be a remedial Massage therapist but no longer can do this job which i used to love. I to comfort eat and i am always trying to loose weight and excercise but it is difficult to motivate myself. i am also about 130 kg just dont want to get on the scales to look. Just recently i had a flare up of pain with my right leg, i was admitted to hospital for pain and investigation by my neurosurgeon. the myelegram that i had showed i have a condition called adhesive arachnoiditis, i suggest you google it because from your post it sounds like you also have some of the symptoms.
i am happy to stay in touch via this forum or send me a pm cheers Deb Ashton

More
3 weeks 1 day ago - 3 weeks 1 day ago #29018 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Back pain, sciatica and neuropathy ... looking for some online support
Hi Lana,

If you go to the forum page and scroll down to general discussions and the sixth line I think there is a letter for people who suffer chronic pain print a couple out and when people question you just get them to read it .

Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse
Last Edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by Johnno. Reason: Wrong info

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150