Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Pain Clinics & Self-Management Programs

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 2 months ago #14957 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Pain Clinic in Australia
Happy birthday Mrs Shingles, having my knees bent was the only way that I could ever lay on my back without it going into spasms and I would often fall asleep only to wake in pain as my legs straightened. Great that you have worked out a plan to get back to work and one hat is not going to over tax your body, just like all to do with CP slowly does it.
The hand outs are great, for those who think I will remember it all, hog wash, even though the courses are over a few weeks they are still extensive and a lot to take in for the short time you are there, after the course is over you can go back through the notes to keep your mind focused on what was taught and keep it fresh in your mind, as we all sliup off the rails now and again.

Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #14996 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Pain Clinics in Australia
Hi all,

I am cross posting this from another thread because I think it is a good find!

I have just stumbled upon a community pain management program that I am familiar with and would recommend. It is run by the Greater Metro South Brisbane Medicare Local. As far as I know it is a 6 week course (2.5 hours x once/week). There is a course that would be almost finished that started in February so you would need to enquire as to when the next course is starting. The cost is usually quite minimal. The contact numbers are: 07 3864 7555 or 1300 467 265. You would need to ring to find exactly where they are running the courses.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

More
5 years 2 months ago #15008 by Oxytotem
Oxytotem replied the topic: Pain Clinic in Australia
Hey Eliza, I don't know your circumstances too well, but why do they feel the need to recommend a termination of employment?BTW belated happy birthday Mrs Shingles, hope you had a lovely day!

• Eliza
  • Eliza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #15012 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: Pain Clinic in Australia
Hey Tom,

I've been on w.c for four years..I injured my back :oops: and I worked for 2 then I went off work because I was in to much pain from the 2 tears in the discs then I waited about 4 months for approval for a double spinal fusion and I haven't had a good outcome. My leg pain means my mobility isn't good....I was having good days bad days or just coping then not coping and I was on the same amount of oxy for 2 years then pain dr put it up one third last nov, then recently when my gp couldn't write my scripts anymore (can't explain here)the pain dr decided I was taking too much meds which wasn't the case, :evil: even with one third more I was still in too much pain. :sick: Look at my other post about the pain course and I explain the rest......like brad I cut the oxy's back my self one third (I just stopped taking them, to prove a point I suppose and I was worried about being stuck without anything) I went through withdrawals. :evil: ..turns out the oxy is not giving me any pain relief even taking one third more... and my work just decided I can't do the work anymore. I'm waiting for a letter now about my termination Tom :( it's been 2 years since i worked though i had about a month working 4x2 days last year and i struggled with that and the pain.... :( the op I had was a 2 year recovery so when I reply to them...I state some facts....union rep told them they have to keep my position for 2 years, should've seen their faces....I love my job and I was so very very upset because I intended to return....I can't in the sorry state I'm in :evil: the neurologist said I have a spinal cord injury and I'm getting worse Tom not better :( I'm losing my legs the nerve is making the muscle constantly contract and its so painful. I was doing hydro-therapy 4-5 days a week and getting some massages now that's all terminated too...I'm hoping to be able to get into physio and try and fix the muscle problem, it has been slowly getting worse...I really and truly want to try and work because I had the best job in the world but how can I in the sorry state I'm in...back pain is crippling me over most days and like others on here I have the electric legs and feet :evil: and now I have the muscle problem that's been creeping up for a while....I'm powerless. If the dr says unfit I can't do much about it, driving 10 mins and even then that's hard for me to do. :(

Hey mrs s so sorry to hijack your post! Just answering Tom's question. :) sorry Mary this is where being able to msg someone with personal questions would be good like f.b...

P.S...I worked there for 15 years...
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Eliza. Reason: Added something on...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oxytotem

• Eliza
  • Eliza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #15017 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: Pain Clinic in Australia
I was the same mrs s, I collapsed on my lounge with heat packs every afternoon after working 8 and a half hours...I couldn't even cook myself a meal...I was a blubbering mess every work day! I don't know how I did it, looking back. I know w.c want to get you back ASAP like your psychologist said however it sounds like he's tuned in thank-goodness...it's up to your gp so remember that and I hope your able to recover.... I'm off to hydro-therapy today too... Just use the chair lift because the exercise is enough movement for you in the pool.

Hugs :kiss:

More
5 years 1 month ago #15422 by Lyn77
Lyn77 replied the topic: Pain Clinics & Self-Management Programs
Evening to all
Forgive me if all this information has already been posted however I have one of those headaches at the moment :sick: and just don't wish to read that much
I am wondering about Pain Clinics I am in Mackay however my surgeon is in Brisbane at Royal Women's and I am heading for a review post surgery in 3 weeks -
I am interested in attending such a clinic so do I just ask her about this ? or can I just get referred by my local doctor ?
But I suppose first question is ??? COST???? I don't have private health insurance and raising 3 teenagers so money is tighter than a fishes aaaaaaaarrrrr ..... lol well u know!
I need to get back into the work force soon and I am scared beyond believe about this
I don't even know how or where to start
but I know I need help with learning to deal with this pain as its not goin to be getting any better from this point on
cheers and thanks for the help !
Lyn B)

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153