Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Help finding a pain clinic

• Deanm
  • Deanm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 3 months ago #23906 by Deanm
Deanm created the topic: Help finding a pain clinic
I have pain in my back L5S1 area and sciatica also headaches and severe chest pain from hypertension, the later being caused by my adrenaline gland being over active. Also i am allergic to Paracetamol,NSAIDS, Aspirin and tramal.
I am looking for a pain clinic in the eastern Melbourne area that bulk bills as I am on Disability. Can anyone help reccomend one. I saw Epworth and St Vincents have clinics but not sure of their waiting lists or bulk billing is still current.
I am in that much pain I would risk the side effects of the list of drugs I am allergic to right now. This is also complicated by severe clinical depression and MS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #23909 by arjay
arjay replied the topic: Help finding a pain clinic
Hi Deanm

What a bugger.

Some time ago I did some volunteer work with MS Victoria visiting patients in Sunbury, beautiful people, debilitation illness ,so sad.

Are you a member of this organization ??? I have found them highly organized and effective in supporting people with MS.

Im sure that they would have some relevant info on your request. St v's do bulk bill but waiting lists t may be a problem

The other source of all pain clinics in Australia is on this site somewhere and no doubt other members can point you to it.

Sorry I cant be more helpful now

Warm regards

Tra ra Arjay Darebin Victoria
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by arjay. Reason: addition

• Peter
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #23914 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Help finding a pain clinic
Hi Deanm

Welcome to the CPA Forum.

You could try the Australian Pain Society's website: www.apsoc.org.au/facility-directory
Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose your state.

The other thing is to speak to your GP about a referral to the nearest hospital based multidisciplinary pain clinic. It is likely it will be supported by Medicare, which means you won't pay. These clinics are teaching world's best practice medicine in the area of self management of chronic pain. So they will teach you how to cope with the pain you suffer on a daily basis.

Just be aware that there will be a waiting list and depending on which state you live in, that list can be anything from months to years.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Peter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marley

• Deanm
  • Deanm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 3 months ago #23920 by Deanm
Deanm replied the topic: Help finding a pain clinic
Thanks, I am in Victoria, in Inner South catchment area, so Alfred is the lead hospital, I have found they run Caulfield Hospital and there is a Bulk Billing pain clinic there, they mentioned a 4 to 6 month wait list, but they will send a questionaire to see how serious my case is.

Thanks everyone for your help, I will let you know how I go there.

• Peter
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
2 years 3 months ago #23921 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Help finding a pain clinic
A 4 to 6 months waiting list is excellent. You should apply ASAP!

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

More
2 years 3 months ago #23922 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Help finding a pain clinic
Hi Deanm,
I have been through and currently in the care of a public pain unit, the waiting time you have stated for the Caulfield in relation to others is not bad at all, here in SA that has nearly blown out to 2 years, are they helpful in dealing with pain, without a doubt, it is what they are set up for, it is all they deal with, all services in one area.
I also have heart issues to go with chronic pain, and both play a devastating affect on each, pain levels go up heart problems increase, I am also intolerant to pain medications, but through the pain clinic I was offered a trial for a spinal stimulator, which proved to help reduce pain, this then led to the final implant, if offered the opportunity I would recommend having the trial, it's not very evasive, goes for 7 days, if successful you can then go ahead with the full implant, for those who are intolerant it can a big difference in controlling pain.
Ultimately that is your decision whether to have the trial or not, since mine they have come along way, and are getting smaller and better at targeting pain, to put it short they use electronic pulses to disrupt the pain path up the spinal column, to stop pain signals reaching the brain.
Don

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153