Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Pain Management Clinic Question?

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
1 year 11 months ago #25484 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Pain Management Clinic Question?
Hi WAP,

I can assure you that a good Occ Physio is worth their weight in gold. My elderly mother has a severe scoliosis and a terrible stenosis of her lower spine. I have seen the Xrays/CT scans and it looks like her spine is actually broken it is that bad.

A year ago she fell and hurt herself, which set off the stenosis that she has had for a very long time. She ended up in so much pain she sounded like someone was torturing her to death and yes, she wanted to die. So I went to see her doctor without her, because we couldn't get her into a car and I asked that he book her into hospital for proper scans and an epidural, then to get her some decent physio help. We needed the epidural to get her off of the merry go round long enough so she could get some physio and after about a week or so, it worked.

So they did all this. They found her spine was in a terrible mess. While in hospital they couldn't do much, so they gave her the epidural and some first aid physio. The doctors ordered an Occ Health Physio to go out to her home and work with her. Within one single week, she was back on her feet walking around with much less pain and fewer spasm attacks that are caused by the crushing of the spinal cord. She couldn't believe how just a few simple exercises could do so much good.
All she does is a few small but very specific exercises and she is back to shopping, dabbling in the garden a bit, but she can only manage a small amount of time on her feet doing any of these things now, because she is too old and her spine really won't recover that far. She is almost 91 years of age.

You should really see if you can get one of these Occ physios to come to your home. They do this, because they want to know what you do there and then they teach you how to do these tasks without further hurting yourself.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WAP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WAP
  • WAP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 year 11 months ago #25485 by WAP
WAP replied the topic: Pain Management Clinic Question?
Thank you for that info Peter I will sure see what I can find out.

I am also so happy to hear what help your Mother was able to get and so pleased that she has a much better life now, bless you!

More
1 year 11 months ago #25487 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Pain Management Clinic Question?
Hi WAP,

The occupational therapists worked in closely with the physiotherapists as in the first day they had each person do the same sort of exercise ie: walking up a straight hall and back (to see if you favour one side or the other) ,try to touch your toes etc they then worked out a specific set of exercises for each person which we used to do during each day we were there the phsychologist helped us understand and try to work with pain and help you to try different ways to do certain tasks pain free, Sally was the healing light as you could go and see her when you were struggling with pain.
Generally it was a team thing they all worked on different areas to try and give you the ability to understand pain and the ways to change your ways of going about your day to day life and how to pace yourself so you save some good for home.
The course was a great learning curve.
Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

• WAP
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 year 11 months ago #25488 by WAP
Hi again Johnno, you know it is strange I can touch my toes NO trouble at all I can even bring my foot to my face but I can not stand or walk for very long at all.

Sometimes I get into the garden and am bending over to pull weeds -- if anyone saw me they would be saying what a malinger I was, however walk or stand for 30 mins and I am in dreadful pain, I get some relief if I sit or lie down but am unable to lie on my either sides, I have to lie on my back.

More
1 year 11 months ago #25490 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Pain Management Clinic Question?
That's the good thing about pain clinics they look at everybody as a pain sufferer and look at ways to help each individual and design a programme for everyone to get some relief.

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

• WAP
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 month 1 day ago #28738 by WAP
Well some weeks ago I went to the pain clinic at the Hospital
and was spoken to by a Dr and -- I think it was a nurse -- they were both very pleasant
and got me to do a few things like rising from the chair and also seeing how
supple I was -- they were quite amazed at what I was able to do -- ( I have
always been supple and have always been active -- I can as I said b4 bend and
touch my toes and I can pull my foot to my shoulder and such -- but to stand
for sometimes 5 mins kills me -- walking is the same and I have extreme pain
and crippling cramps. I want to be able to Garden and do what I have always
done -- well I guess I am almost 82 so I have to accept that I won't be able to do EVERYTHING that I USED to do. I know my pain will never be cured but I want it so as I can bear it --
I was taking the Endone WHEN I had to be out and on my feet -- (my Dr said to take 3 a day) BUT I was taking ONE a week when I had to go out --the Endone only
eased the pain for about 2 hours and it was back with vengeance, but as the pain
is getting worse now I took 1 Endone 4 days in a row and came out in hives that
nearly drove me mad -- and so had then to take Phenergan of a night and Telfast of a day -- I want off all these darn medications they all have so many rotten side effects. I do still take Panamax 2 -- 4 times a day.

I try hard to get out into the garden and do some trimming while gritting my
teeth till I am writhing in pain and cramping and often have to lie on the
path/grass or where ever I am.

I have an appointment at the pain clinic in 2 weeks and I
sure hope they can help me cope -- if they come up with such as meditation and
such I think I might have a few choice words to say -- as I am a very calm
person, I do not suffer from anxiety or depression and I have coped with this
for a LONG time --- decades -- I do not drink /smoke and I have not even had an
Endone now for 2 + weeks because of the itches, all I want is to be able to
stand and do the dishes etc without being in agony and how I would LOVE to be able to go for a walk.

I will let you know how I get on.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153