Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Prolotherapy - for those who are curious

• Oxytotem
  • Oxytotem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #14118 by Oxytotem
Oxytotem replied the topic: Prolotherapy
That's awesome brook,that's a really inspiring story :cheer: thanks for sharing that with us

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Oxytotem
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #14311 by Oxytotem
Went to the prolotherapy doc today.had an examination of my knees and he explained everything including the risks.i am still pretty unsure of the whole thing.the procedure costs about $140 a pop and. Will need a minimum of 3-5 procedures before improvement is known, but after that I will either need top ups every few months to a year, or it won't work and they will drop the treatment.i hate needles, especially considering they are going in the joints.they do two local anaesthetics,one in the skin and one over the bone matter,but apparently they can be quite painful and a few days up to two weeks of extra pain is expected.he says that it's good for the tendons around the knee to stabilise them, but may not work as well for the inside joints..I am procrastinating a lot on this procedure, but leaning towards leaving it for a later time....

• Oxytotem
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #14328 by Oxytotem
Just the examination of my knees I.e gentle movement and pressure on the knees has caused a big flare up in pain,plus the fact that I got up a lot earlier than I normally do, I have had 3 endone today and am considering another one before bed so I can get some relief in order to go to sleep.the stress I am under at the moment probably isn't helping one bit either.gah!cant wait for my transfer to be approved so I can get the hell out of this place, it's literally driving me crazy.doesnt help my OxyContin dose has been wearing off quite steeply this past week either.is there a 24 hour morphine preparation that may help?even though I had a bad reaction to the jurnista after just a week on them I noticed when going back to the OxyContin that my tolerance had dropped quite a lot.i know rotation is only going to prolong the tolerance to opioids, but I guess it's a lot better than nothing huh?

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #14333 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Prolotherapy
Oxy slow release as far as I know are only supplied at 12 hourly doses, it would make life a lot easier with a single dose, but I would be more worried of it keeping the levels constant over that period and the damage it would cause to your gut lining.

Don

More
5 years 5 months ago #14857 by Brook
Brook replied the topic: Prolotherapy
A little update on the prolo...
My endurance has improved out of sight!
I can do housework now!!! Pretty much everything except the vacuuming, I could probably do that too, with a few rests but my partner is happy to do it and I'm not going to rock the boat. :P
I've just been away camping for the long weekend and I packed the car myself, set up the tent, tooled around the bush block cleaning up some rubbish, drove there and back again and slept on an airbed on the ground. All that and right now I might take a panadol. That's it!!
Next round is in April, I do believe it will take the three rounds to get lasting results.
My flares still happen, I think overall they're shorter and less aggressive.
Oxy, how did you go?? I know you were worried about the pain and I won't lie, if you're anything like me it's gonna hurt for a bit. Prolo might just be an option once you get your meds right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oxytotem

• Oxytotem
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #14860 by Oxytotem
Hey brook so glad to hear you are doing well!i have decided to leave it for the time being as starting a new job soon and really need to concentrate on that first as the MS Contin is working well at the moment,but I am still keeping my options open for the future.thanks and congrats again on your progress,take care,Tom :)

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150