Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Accupunture updated

• Ozziechick
  • Ozziechick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #19701 by Ozziechick
Ozziechick created the topic: Accupunture updated
Hi I have had some luck with Acupuncture and Chinese remedial massage, especially when the insert the intense needle at the top of your spine,more near the back of your neck, it releases alot of built up pain for me, i like the Chinese herbs as well, being that Im half chinese its interesting using the herbs as my grandmother used herbs all her life, and used to make us kids have it we would run away from her LOL, Im keen to go back to my acupuncture now that Ive taken private insurance extras out, i can afford it more now. heres some info on acupuncture, revising my post as the relief is mostly short lived, but may work well for some people, the needle inserted at the back of the neck yes does last a couple days, ut over all treatments are short lived, But yes I would try it again to release the negative energy my body is carrying and restore my chi.thanks

www.healthcmi.com/Acupuncture-Continuing...roven-to-reduce-pain

Cheers Julie
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Ozziechick. Reason: revised wording

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #19706 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Accupunture
Hii Ozziechick,

Acupuncture works well for some people but not for everyone. It also works more efficiently according to the type of pain that you have. I guess that the same goes for remedial massage. Most people I know with chronic pain welcome a massage, butI cannot tolerate them at all. Even a short massage or hands on physio stirs me up horrendously. It feels really great at the time but 20-30 minutes later I am in big trouble.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

• Ozziechick
  • Ozziechick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 10 months ago #19707 by Ozziechick
Ozziechick replied the topic: Accupunture works for some people
Hi Mary thanks for your reply and reminder yes sometimes or most of the time the relief is temporary. Ill take relief for any amount of time I can get it, I prefer a medium massage rather then a intense hard pressure, yes thinking about it all the relief is short lived, I think your right thanks, and physio yes really stirs things as well as steroid injections, this morning my pain level is 10/10

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #22316 by john01
john01 replied the topic: Accupunture updated

Ozziechick wrote: Hi I have had some luck with Acupuncture and Chinese remedial massage, especially when the insert the intense needle at the top of your spine,more near the back of your neck, it releases alot of built up pain for me, i like the Chinese herbs as well, being that Im half chinese its interesting using the herbs as my grandmother used herbs all her life, and used to make us kids have it we would run away from her LOL, Im keen to go back to my acupuncture now that Ive taken private insurance extras out, i can afford it more now. heres some info on acupuncture, revising my post as the relief is mostly short lived, but may work well for some people, the needle inserted at the back of the neck yes does last a couple days, ut over all treatments are short lived, But yes I would try it again to release the negative energy my body is carrying and restore my chi.thanks

www.healthcmi.com/Acupuncture-Continuing...roven-to-reduce-pain

Cheers Julie

I want to find out more information about acupuncture for back pain. I have had lower back pain for many years. I haven't tried acupuncture yet. But I wouldn't expect one or two treatments would cure my back pain. I wouldn't jump into conclusion that the effect of acupuncture is short lived after having one or two treatments. I read somebody's post on whirlpool forum the other day. The guy said he had weekly acupuncture for nearly 6 months and he evently got rid of his back pain. So, I guess I possibly have to have many treatments to get rid of my back pain. I would like to hear more successful stories from somebody here and find out how they did it.

back pain / bulging disc
90% of pain gone after having both acupuncture and laser therapy while visiting my family in Brisbane (Thanks for the suggestions from the people here)
stay positive, be strong, never give up hope.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by john01. Reason: typo

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
2 years 9 months ago #22317 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Accupunture updated
Hi John01,

Welcome to the CPA Forum.

Acupuncture is really good, but I can tell you that there will never be cures from acupuncture for all types of back problems. You need to establish what is causing your back pain.

If you have some minor soft tissue damage, then acupuncture might just help, but if there is some extensive damage done to your spine, then I'm afraid it's not going to cure you. In fact, there's a chance nothing will cure you.

You can have all sorts of treatments and therapies, and you can get varying degrees of positive responses from them, but to call them a cure, is very misleading. Once you injure the spine, unless it is a simple strain, most people never seen to get rid of all their pain. And I am talking about bad whiplash where there is physical damage to bone or joints, plus nerve or spinal chord damage. It is such a delicate part of our bodies that it just doesn't like being injured much.

That said. It has been found by researchers that there are people out there living normal hard working lives who have spines that should be causing them terrible pain and disability, but for some reason they have no pain and are doing well. This has confounded the medical profession. One thing they did get out of it though, is that the brain has the capacity to absorb a very large amount of pain. This is what they teach you at a multidisciplinary pain clinic.

If you haven't been to one, you might want to get your GP to refer you to one.

In the meantime, if you want to try the acupuncture, just find out what is wrong with your spine first and see if your GP thinks it will help.
Many years ago prior to my second MVA, I had acupuncture and it worked very well after about 6 weeks, which was when I ran out of money an had to stop. I had a lasting effect for around 3 months, then all the pain came back.

It can certainly ease the pain levels and help with healing etc, but like I said, any cure will depend on what type of injury you have.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)
The following user(s) said Thank You: john01

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #22318 by john01
john01 replied the topic: Accupunture updated
Thanks Peter.
I think “ a lasting effect for around 3 months" is not bad. I don't expect acupuncture cures my back problems as I'm
not young any more. I'm happy if I can go to work again (office work,but I have to walk between buildings a lot)

"the brain has the capacity to absorb a very large amount of pain. This is what they teach you at a multidisciplinary pain clinic." I know our brain is powerful.How successful is it to train the brain to feel less pain?

back pain / bulging disc
90% of pain gone after having both acupuncture and laser therapy while visiting my family in Brisbane (Thanks for the suggestions from the people here)
stay positive, be strong, never give up hope.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by john01. Reason: typo

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153