Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Metyhl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM)

• Robb
  • Robb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 2 months ago #24320 by Robb
Robb created the topic: Metyhl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM)
After being hospitalized and taken off all Opiates plus I am unable to take any non steroidal pain medication I am left with Paradol Osteo which the Turnbull Government are removing from the PSB as from Jan 1st.
My Doctor suggested Metyhl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM) specifially for my hip joint pain. It is available at pharmacies and health stores.
Has anyone used MSM and if so what was the result.?
Would be interested in its effectiveness.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
2 years 2 months ago #24321 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Metyhl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM)
Hi Rob,
No, I've never heard of MSM. New to me, but then I know little about a lot of the different meds.
However, in some ways I'm glad they are taking the panadol osteo off the PBS. These doctors have been pushing this next to useless drug for such a long time, while at the same time forcing people off of their stronger Opioid meds. So they replace the more effective Opioid with panadol osteo which is causing lots of issues with the elderly.

My mother recently had a scare because tests showed her liver was suffering badly. What did it turn out to be?
Panadol Osteo!
She stopped taking it and her liver went back to normal.
They are telling elderly that this dangerous drug is good for all types of pain when it is clearly not. We all react differently to all the different types of medication, but when you have a medication that becomes dangerous once you start going past 4 grams per day, then you really need to make sure you never forget if you have had your tablets or not, because if you take more, you could cause yourself a lot of harm.

The doctors prescribe 6 panadol osteo a day. This takes you up to around 4 grams. That is a huge amount of paracetamol to expect your liver to process.

Now I'm no expert so don't take anything I say here as gospel. But there are lots of warnings on the box and out there on the internet about taking too much of this drug, because it is dangerous to our liver. And if that is the case, then why have they been pushing this damn drug as a very ineffective replacement to Opioids?

In case anyone wants to know. I did try it for a fortnight without taking panadeine forte. And it was the two most painful weeks I have suffered for a very long time. Paracetamol does little to nothing for my pain, so I take as little as possible. Codeine makes me sick too, so I can only take a little bit of it.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

More
2 years 2 months ago #24322 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Metyhl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM)
It has been proven that Paracetamol is no better than the placebo effect when dealing with chronic back pain and arthritis conditions, also by the law suits against companies who supply these over the counter medication claiming they target specific pain, when they don't.
More people are hospitalised from the adverse effects from these drugs than those who take opiates, and yet it is the opiates which are being targeted when they are very good at reducing pain, when taken in correct dosage under medical guidance.
As for MSM, it is a natural occurring substance, which claims to reduce swelling and inflammation in joints, it hasn't been approved by the FDA as a proven supplement, it does carry some health warnings, so do a lot of research before taking this medication.

Don

More
2 years 1 month ago #24330 by Ant
Ant replied the topic: Metyhl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM)
Hi Robb,
If I'm accurate in reading between the lines I'm sorry to hear about your frustration.
There are heaps of supplements out there and maybe they'll work for some people but at the moment there doesn't seem to be strong evidence and I have no personal experience using it as I am loathe to descend the rabbit hole of risks associated with Supplements, Complimentary and Alternative Medicine... I can only recommend working with a good GP, allied health and perhaps pain clinic who support you and try to find what works and don't conform to fashions in prescribing/diagnosis.
All the best!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb

More
1 year 11 months ago #24692 by Garycl
Garycl replied the topic: Metyhl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM)
If you’re going to try supplements for your joint pain, MSM is a good place to start because it’s relatively safe. At the most it can cause you stomach upset, diarrhoea or bad gas. It increases the flow of harmful substances out of the cells and prevents pressure build-up in the cells, which causes inflammation in the joints. However, supplements are supplements and no one can guarantee you pain relief. Neither there is strong proven scientific record for the same nor are the few studies which are present convincing. At the most I think, you can try them few months if your GP insists and if they are not really heavy on pocket; who knows it might click.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153