Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Nerve Pain

• Millymoo
  • Millymoo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 10 months ago #25639 by Millymoo
Millymoo created the topic: Nerve Pain
I fell of a ladder 2 years ago shattering my elbow into 18 pieces. Since that time I have had a couple of surgeries and a nerve transfer. I'm looking at alternative therapies perhaps chinese to utilise alongside side my medication (Neurontin) as I still suffer from constant nerve pain as well as pain from the site of the break. Any suggestions??

Stoney
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #25640 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Nerve Pain
Hey Stoney,

Your Doctor should be the one suggesting what sort of medication would be best for you to try but you could also have a chat to your pharmacist as they are pretty switched on and if you know them well they generally can be a god send.

Saying that you could try acupuncture ,physiotherapy ,tens machine etc .

Constant nerve pain can be a pain in the ar€£ I suffer nerve pain from my ribs all the way down my right side so I'm hearing you ,you need to discuss what can be the best to reduce it .

Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

More
1 year 10 months ago #25641 by Apvukelic
Apvukelic replied the topic: Nerve Pain
Hi Stoney, I can empathize with your pain levels, having had three fusion & laminectomy operations on my back to relieve pressure on the spinal cord in the last 15 years. The last, in January 2015, seems more to have stabilized than improved/decreased the level of pain.
I would imagine that the psychological effect of an instant event, such as you describe, would have been as debilitating as the physical effect.
In my case, the problem developed over a period of years until I had difficulty walking because of the pressure on the nerves.
Today, I was looking for information about Norspan, because the pain level around my back and waist seems to have increased recently. In my search, I came to this site.
At present, I take Paracetamol forte 30/500mg (2 x 3 times daily), Tramadol 150mg (1 x 2 times daily) Lyrica 25 mg (1 x 2 times daily) and Norspan 20 mcg/hour (1 each week) as well as Diaformin, Vytorin, Deptran and Adesan for diabetes, cholesterol, depression, and blood pressure respectively.
It is difficult to discuss pain levels because they are so subjective, everyone's feeling is different. When discussing pain, I am aware that there are always others who suffer even more pain than I do. This means that I am often reluctant to talk about my own experience of pain.
Your suggestion regarding alternative therapy support/treatments I would agree with. Shiatsu is a form of massage that I have personally had experience with, finding it very effective with severe migraine headaches, Although it is said that there is no evidence that Shiatsu is an effective medical treatment, I do believe that it can divert one's attention from existing pain to another site of the body. Obviously, it should not be applied directly over or near an area that is still healing from surgery. I hope you are successful in finding some relief from you current pain level.

More
1 year 10 months ago #25647 by Johnno
Johnno replied the topic: Nerve Pain
Hey Pete 6000 ,

I wonder if we could have a place where we could post what we are on for pain like a trophy wall it could be interesting to see.
As you say we all have different levels of pain and I know of a few that suffer constant headaches like yourself and I am pleased to say I haven't had the misfortune of having a severe headache (touch wood) there are a few on the site who I wouldn't change places with.
I have post herpatic nueralgia right side from the ribs to the toes ( a dose of shingles caused by constant pain)lumbar and cervical spondylosis and have just had ACDF surgery to remove the disc between C5-C6 and fusion with a cage approx 4 months ago .
I am one of the lucky ones.
My little list
Lyrica 300 mg twice a day
Sertraline 200mg morning
OxyContin 10mg twice daily
Endep 100mg night
Tramadol 150mg night
Endone as required (10s pain)
Pandadiene forte as required (up to 7s pain)
In case I have a small supply of Xanax

Safe travels on your journey a remember there is a lot of people who can offer advice or lend a shoulder so you are not alone
Johnno

as long as I wake up alive I'm happy
Because it could be worse

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #25761 by Cathy Howat
Cathy Howat replied the topic: Nerve Pain
Hi Stoney,

This is my sons story on a therapy we found to overcome chronic pain without the use of medications, its called Neurophysics Therapy. I feel like I need to share it with the world. Maybe it is something that you can take a look at.

Best of luck with your challenges.
Adams-crew
[Hyperlinks Removed by Moderator]
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Cathy Howat.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153